Options

EastEnders fans: help needed for final year project!

maxi1995maxi1995 Posts: 77
Forum Member
Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me posting this on here. I am a university student studying BA Media and Communications and a big EastEnders fan. So I am creating an eBook for my final year university project surrounding the viewers opinions and ideas for EastEnders. Would you guys mind answering some questions, which will be within the eBook? I would really appreciate the help. The eBook will be created on iBooks Author and will be on the iTunes Store (free of charge) for you all to look out. You will only have your username and comment present within the eBook and you will of course get credited for it within the credits page. Your comments will be used for educational purposes only.

Questions:
Why do you think the 'Den and Angie' divorce papers was such an iconic storyline at the time?
What was your experience like watching the 25th anniversary episode and the 30th anniversary episode? Was you disappointed with the outcome?
Do you think the Queen Vic currently reflects the real life of an EastEnd pub?
How do you think the atmosphere and day to day events within the Queen Vic has changed over the years?
If we had a Ghost episode, which characters would you bring back and how would you get them to interact or what would they say about the current state of the Square?
Do you think EastEnders will be around in 30 years time?
What storylines and characters do you think EastEnders should focus on during the future?

:)

Comments

• Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alright Maxi,

I'll fill these in later mate, I need time to think of some proper decent answers for my first published writing.

Have you thought about a title yet? If not you should choose something catchy like "The Life and Work of J-B" or something like that.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    J-B wrote: »
    Alright Maxi,

I'll fill these in later mate, I need time to think of some proper decent answers for my first published writing.

Have you thought about a title yet? If not you should choose something catchy like "The Life and Work of J-B" or something like that.

Thanks.

Thank you. It would be a real help, as the viewers are important to the show. Without the viewers, they would be no show.

I like the title ;-)
  • Options
    Tomski12Tomski12 Posts: 15,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maxi1995 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me posting this on here. I am a university student studying BA Media and Communications and a big EastEnders fan. So I am creating an eBook for my final year university project surrounding the viewers opinions and ideas for EastEnders. Would you guys mind answering some questions, which will be within the eBook? I would really appreciate the help. The eBook will be created on iBooks Author and will be on the iTunes Store (free of charge) for you all to look out. You will only have your username and comment present within the eBook and you will of course get credited for it within the credits page. Your comments will be used for educational purposes only.

Questions:
    Why do you think the 'Den and Angie' divorce papers was such an iconic storyline at the time?
    What was your experience like watching the 25th anniversary episode and the 30th anniversary episode? Was you disappointed with the outcome?
    How do you think the atmosphere and day to day events within the Queen Vic has changed over the years?
    If we had a Ghost episode, which characters would you bring back and how would you get them to interact or what would they say about the current state of the Square?
    What storylines and characters do you think EastEnders should focus on during the future?

:)
    Hi Maxi here are my answers
    1.) I think Den and Angie's divorce was a big story at the time because in other soaps a divorce may have been because of a affair etc. But ever since the start of EE we'd seen how toxic their relationship was, and to an extent it was a domestic abuse storyline that had been boiling for over a year and a half up to this point, it was also unexpected because many people expected Den to get revenge for the 6 months to live lie in a more violent way.
    2.) I feel the 30th anniversary was much better than the 25th because although they were similar in the respect they were about a whodunnit reveal, the 25th seemed somewhat predictable because we had a set of characters it was going to be. But many people genuinely didn't know who killed Lucy and was more of a shock because although some did, not many expected Bobby. It also proved that a whodunnit could last for much longer than a conventional one as long as it didn't dominate.
    3.) Quite simply it probably doesn't reflect an East End pub because I assume people prefer a trendy bar to an old boozer nowadays, but that will never change because a bustling boozer is a key aspect of the soap opera genre.
    4.) At present I don't feel The Vic is as it should be. Stories used to flow in and out of it because it's a place all the residents visit. But at the minute we see more of the upstairs because of the overexposure of The Carters, and only see the bar if we need to. Something that never happens is that we just have The Carters behind the bar but not having a story, something that happened with The Mitchell's, Watts, and Moons. They are only in the bar when there's a story to tell with them, if you know what I mean.
    5.) If we had a ghosts episode I would bring back iconic characters who died a while ago passing judgement on old friends and the newer residents. For example I'd love to have Pat back to pass judgement on her old friends and to criticise the newer residents and Den back to criticise what has become of The Vic.
    6.) That's a hard one because viewing habits are changing. But I believe if EastEnders keeps to it's roots, does what it's good at and continues to attract new viewers, I think it will survive for the foreseeable future.
    7.) EastEnders needs to stop the sensationalism and get back to what it's good at, realistic, gritty storylines that are character driven, not plot driven. I'm not saying they should stop explosions, car crashes etc. completely, but they should limit them to one a year, two at most, because that makes them more exciting if we get them less. As for characters, they should limit the amount of returning characters and concentrate on creating new, fresh, exciting and varied characters. They should also work at developing some characters more, whilst giving the overexposed characters a rest and not chucking storylines at them left right and centre. An example of this is that Donna Yates is an interesting character, played by a capable actress that has been in the show for over 2 years without a storyline to her name. And then you have Vincent Hubbard, who within 2 months on the show was prominent for the rest of the year.

I hope these have helped you and please let me know when you have published it, I look forward to reading it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tomski12 wrote: »
    Hi Maxi here are my answers
    1.) I think Den and Angie's divorce was a big story at the time because in other soaps a divorce may have been because of a affair etc. But ever since the start of EE we'd seen how toxic their relationship was, and to an extent it was a domestic abuse storyline that had been boiling for over a year and a half up to this point, it was also unexpected because many people expected Den to get revenge for the 6 months to live lie in a more violent way.
    2.) I feel the 30th anniversary was much better than the 25th because although they were similar in the respect they were about a whodunnit reveal, the 25th seemed somewhat predictable because we had a set of characters it was going to be. But many people genuinely didn't know who killed Lucy and was more of a shock because although some did, not many expected Bobby. It also proved that a whodunnit could last for much longer than a conventional one as long as it didn't dominate.
    3.) Quite simply it probably doesn't reflect an East End pub because I assume people prefer a trendy bar to an old boozer nowadays, but that will never change because a bustling boozer is a key aspect of the soap opera genre.
    4.) At present I don't feel The Vic is as it should be. Stories used to flow in and out of it because it's a place all the residents visit. But at the minute we see more of the upstairs because of the overexposure of The Carters, and only see the bar if we need to. Something that never happens is that we just have The Carters behind the bar but not having a story, something that happened with The Mitchell's, Watts, and Moons. They are only in the bar when there's a story to tell with them, if you know what I mean.
    5.) If we had a ghosts episode I would bring back iconic characters who died a while ago passing judgement on old friends and the newer residents. For example I'd love to have Pat back to pass judgement on her old friends and to criticise the newer residents and Den back to criticise what has become of The Vic.
    6.) That's a hard one because viewing habits are changing. But I believe if EastEnders keeps to it's roots, does what it's good at and continues to attract new viewers, I think it will survive for the foreseeable future.
    7.) EastEnders needs to stop the sensationalism and get back to what it's good at, realistic, gritty storylines that are character driven, not plot driven. I'm not saying they should stop explosions, car crashes etc. completely, but they should limit them to one a year, two at most, because that makes them more exciting if we get them less. As for characters, they should limit the amount of returning characters and concentrate on creating new, fresh, exciting and varied characters. They should also work at developing some characters more, whilst giving the overexposed characters a rest and not chucking storylines at them left right and centre. An example of this is that Donna Yates is an interesting character, played by a capable actress that has been in the show for over 2 years without a storyline to her name. And then you have Vincent Hubbard, who within 2 months on the show was prominent for the rest of the year.

I hope these have helped you and please let me know when you have published it, I look forward to reading it.

Thank you for the detailed answers. It has really helped. I will post a link once completed. That should be within the next couple of months.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will come back soon too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maxi1995 wrote: »
    Thank you for the detailed answers. It has really helped. I will post a link once completed. That should be within the next couple of months.

You're very welcome good luck
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They were the most popular characters and put that together with deceit and shock, it made for a great storyline

I think the 30th felt more nostalgic and the 25th felt like it was just to reveal who killed Archie. I don't like that Stacey was the killer, but I don't mind that Bobby killed Lucy as it kind of made sense.

I don't have any experience to compare it to, but I'd like to think so.

I don't think it's changed much as people still find out everything about everyone in there!

I'd bring back Frank, Ethel, Pat and Michael Moon. I'd like them to be a fly on the wall with different characters and they could pass judgement to the audience.

Yes. It stays current and so it will stay in people's minds to watch.

I'd like Max to come out of prison and get revenge on the Beales and Abi. I'd also like him and Jack to team up. Jay should also be focused on - he's played by a magnificent actor and he should get the opportunity to hog the limelight. Lee's depression storyline also needs to be focused on again.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Questions:

No idea.

I was disappointed that Stacey was the killer...it just didn't work for me.
    Loved the 30th.

I've heard not. But I live in a smallish town and it's pretty typical of our local.

Not a lot. It was all singing around the piano when it started, now it's karaoke.

Has to be Lou Beale. I think she'd disapprove of the youngsters and give Phil Mitchell a mouthful. She'd be proud of Martin and ashamed of Ian, She could move in with Dot.

I know I won't be ;-)

Max's revenge is top of my wish list. Ronnie should find out that she killed Fats and have a complete breakdown. Focus on the Slaters and Fowlers, less of Phil, Ben and Sharon. I'd like to see more Kathy and Shirley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Questions:

No idea.

I was disappointed that Stacey was the killer...it just didn't work for me.
    Loved the 30th.

I've heard not. But I live in a smallish town and it's pretty typical of our local.

Not a lot. It was all singing around the piano when it started, now it's karaoke.

Has to be Lou Beale. I think she'd disapprove of the youngsters and give Phil Mitchell a mouthful. She'd be proud of Martin and ashamed of Ian, She could move in with Dot.

I know I won't be ;-)

Max's revenge is top of my wish list. Ronnie should find out that she killed Fats and have a complete breakdown. Focus on the Slaters and Fowlers, less of Phil, Ben and Sharon. I'd like to see more Kathy and Shirley.

The whole Fatboy thing confuses me, was it Ronnie for sending the car to the crusher, or Claudette for sending him in it, knowing full well Ronnie was up to something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for answering these for me😀 Anyone else?