Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Some pretty strong numbers floating around over the weekend:

Saturday
    As ever, a terrific rating for the X Factor. It clearly benefitted 71DN after it -but I think the test for that show really lies tomorrow. It could easily sink more than a million in that slot, regardless of what the breakdown looked like for the saturday edition. ASFF didn't do very well, but it's only TV wallpaper, in my opinion. One of those shows that can soak up 6-7m when theres little alternative, but gets sunk by bigger guns.

A couple of really strong positives to take out the night for BBC One. SCD did about as well as could have been hoped for a preview show, and Merlin held up very well. I fear for it next week without such a strong lead-in and starting level on time with TXF though. It does provide good alternative and I think using it as such is a good idea - but they need to do everything they can to give it a 15-20 minute head start, IMO.

Casualty is suffering, but when TXF spreads for an hour and a quater, it's very difficult to avoid. I think the BBC would rather throw Casualty under the bus for the time being, given that their alternative for the next few weeks will be Comedy Roadshow, which I think they'll really want to support (and needs a later slot anyway, in all honesty).

Sunday

Typically strong for BBC One and Help for Heroes exceeded my expectations too - what I saw of it didn't look particularly impressive, but it turned out pretty well, to be fair.

I did expect Albert's Memorial might do a little better than that - though I suppose starting half way through the concert didn't help. Heartbeat got a pretty strong send-off, all considering.

Looking forward to The Inbetweeners ratings tomorrow. From all the publicity, I reckon we could be in for something pretty special by E4 standards. Much like Gavin and Stacey, it seems like one of those niche hits that just expands endlessly between series. Anyone know what E4's record audience is?
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Slight o/t but just realised that Corrie's live episode/50th anniversary celebrations will air on the same week as the XF final. That will be a huge week for ITV and I'm sure it'll be promoted as such. Just a shame that the 50th anniversary episode airs on the Thursday and the live episode on the Friday-traditionally the weakest performing days for Corrie.

I don't think it really matters what day it falls because it will no doubt be promoted to hell and viewers will tune in regardless of its been on a Thursday. Is the live episode definitely scheduled for the Friday? I wonder if they'll be 2 live episodes as Corrie airs twice on Fridays or maybe an hour long live episode?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Just looking at the officials for Channel Five, according to my calculations Neighbours is down about 21% year-on-year. Its figures are the worst they have ever been in the UK, averaging just 1.87m per episode across its two showings for w/e September 5 compared to 2.38m in 2009.

The fall has been dramatic although I'm at a loss as to the cause for the decline as it seems to have happened so suddenly.
    I don't understand it, either. Yes, Neighbours is pretty diabolical at the moment, but I think it's been awful for the last three or four years, so that doesn't explain the recent ratings drop.

Perhaps, Home and Away's break didn't help. Maybe a number of people were prepared to keep faith with Neighbours when they were rewarded with an episode of Home and Away straight after it, but, having lost half of the soap block for five weeks, they gave up altogether?

I expect some viewers will return when the clocks go back.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be worth noting, even though the 2nd series of The Inbetweeners peaked at 1.2m... their facebook page has almost 1.3m likes... and not everyone has facebook, im sure all of the almost 1.3m fans will watch... so we should be looking at 1.4m+ really.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    If ever there was a result proving that the BBC needs to be broken up and given to the Murdoch Empire then SCD's ratings are surely the proof you need.
    :yawn:
    Slight o/t but just realised that Corrie's live episode/50th anniversary celebrations will air on the same week as the XF final. That will be a huge week for ITV and I'm sure it'll be promoted as such. Just a shame that the 50th anniversary episode airs on the Thursday and the live episode on the Friday-traditionally the weakest performing days for Corrie.
    Friday didnt seem to do EE any harm for their live episode. The promotion of the "big week" is going to be very tedious.
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Looking forward to The Inbetweeners ratings tomorrow. From all the publicity, I reckon we could be in for something pretty special by E4 standards. Much like Gavin and Stacey, it seems like one of those niche hits that just expands endlessly between series. Anyone know what E4's record audience is?
    Good comparison between G+S and The Inbetweeners is the sudden surge in popularity between series. G+S ended series 1 with 500k and series 2 started with 1.8m. Inbetweeners ended its first series with 400k and began series two with 1.2m.
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Anyone know what E4's record audience is?

2.46m for an episode of Friends in January 2003 (based on BARB Live +7 data).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it really matters what day it falls because it will no doubt be promoted to hell and viewers will tune in regardless of its been on a Thursday. Is the live episode definitely scheduled for the Friday? I wonder if they'll be 2 live episodes as Corrie airs twice on Fridays or maybe an hour long live episode?
    An hour-long live episode would be a big ask, and, as they're doing a live ep to try to secure the highest soap rating of the year, they wouldn't want it to clash with EastEnders on the Friday night, because it would shave a chunk off the viewing figure.
  • Options
    jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd guess the E4 figure for Friends above won't include E4+1 as it wasn't available (or not widely at least).
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonnyblack wrote: »
    I'd guess the E4 figure for Friends above won't include E4+1 as it wasn't available (or not widely at least).

You are correct that E4 +1 wasn't available at the time the above rating was recorded, with it launching in July of the same year. (Although BARB lists timeshifts separately anyway, so it wouldn't have affected the above figure, even if it had been available).

It's interesting to note that E4's top 10 highest rating programmes of all time consists entirely of episodes of Friends and Glee. In order to get a place in the top 10, The Inbetweeners needs to get a Live +7 rating of more than 1.85m, excluding +1.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock & Chips is returning for two specials, James Buckley has confirmed on Radio 5Live. One will air this Christmas and another next Easter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Rock & Chips is returning for two specials, James Buckley has confirmed on Radio 5Live. One will air this Christmas and another next Easter.
    Good stuff. :)
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Excellent news. Christmas Day slot for the first special?
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member

:eek:

Best News I've heard all year! :)

I wonder if the BBC will brave enough to put this on Christmas Day? ... I guess not ... but .. It would be perfect for Boxing Day or New Years Day.
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    US PREMIERES (thanks to Ausiello)

Monday, Sept. 13
    90210, 8 p.m. (The CW)
    Gossip Girl, 9 p.m. (The CW)

Tuesday, Sept. 14
    One Tree Hill, 8 p.m. (The CW)
    Life Unexpected, 9 p.m. (The CW)
    Parenthood, 10 p.m. (NBC)

Wednesday, Sept. 15
    Survivor: Nicaragua, 8 p.m. (CBS)
    Outlaw, 10 p.m. (NBC) NEW

Thursday, Sept. 16
    It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 10 p.m. (FX)
    The Apprentice, 10 p.m. (NBC)
    The League, 10:30 p.m. (FX)
    Sunday, Sept. 19
    Boardwalk Empire, 8 p.m. (HBO) NEW

Monday, Sept. 20
    Dancing With the Stars, 8 p.m. (ABC)
    How I Met Your Mother, 8 p.m. (CBS)
    House, 8 p.m. (Fox)
    Chuck, 8 p.m. (NBC)
    Rules of Engagement, 8:30 p.m. (CBS)
    Two and a Half Men, 9 p.m. (CBS)
    Lone Star, 9 p.m. (Fox) NEW
    The Event, 9 p.m. (NBC) NEW
    Mike & Molly, 9:30 p.m. (CBS) NEW
    Castle, 10 p.m. (ABC)
    Hawaii Five-0, 10 p.m. (CBS) NEW
    Chase, 10 p.m. (NBC) NEW

Tuesday, Sept. 21
    NCIS, 8 p.m. (CBS)
    Glee, 8 p.m. (Fox)
    The Biggest Loser, 8 p.m. (NBC)
    NCIS: Los Angeles, 9 p.m. (CBS)
    Raising Hope, 9 p.m. (Fox) NEW
    Running Wilde, 9:30 p.m. (Fox) NEW
    Detroit 1-8-7, 10 p.m. (ABC) NEW

Wednesday, Sept. 22
    The Middle, 8 p.m. (ABC)
    Hell’s Kitchen, 8 p.m. (Fox)
    Undercovers, 8 p.m. (NBC) NEW
    Better With You, 8:30 p.m. (ABC) NEW
    Modern Family, 9 p.m. (ABC)
    Criminal Minds, 9 p.m. (CBS)
    Law & Order: SVU, 9 p.m. (NBC)
    Cougar Town, 9:30 p.m. (ABC)
    The Defenders, 10 p.m. (CBS) NEW
    The Whole Truth, 10 p.m. (ABC) NEW

Thursday, Sept. 23
    My Generation, 8 p.m. (ABC) NEW
    The Big Bang Theory, 8 p.m. (CBS)
    Bones, 8 p.m. (Fox)
    Community, 8 p.m. (NBC)
    30 Rock, 8:30 p.m. (NBC)
    $#*! My Dad Says, 8:30 p.m. (CBS) NEW
    Grey’s Anatomy, 9 p.m. (ABC)
    CSI, 9 p.m. (CBS)
    Fringe, 9 p.m. (Fox)
    The Office, 9 p.m. (NBC)
    Outsourced, 9:30 p.m. (NBC) NEW
    Private Practice, 10 p.m. (ABC)
    The Mentalist, 10 p.m. (CBS)
    Friday, Sept. 24
    Medium, 8 p.m. (CBS)
    Smallville, 8 p.m. (The CW)
    CSI: NY, 9 p.m. (CBS)
    Supernatural, 9 p.m. (The CW)
    The Good Guys, 9 p.m. (Fox)
    Blue Bloods, 10 p.m. (CBS) NEW
    HOLY SH*T

Sunday, Sept. 26
    Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, 8 p.m. (ABC)
    The Simpsons, 8 p.m. (Fox)
    The Amazing Race, 8:30 p.m. (CBS)
    The Cleveland Show, 8:30 p.m. (Fox)
    Desperate Housewives, 9 p.m. (ABC)
    Family Guy, 9 p.m. (Fox)
    Dexter, 9 p.m. (Showtime)
    Brothers & Sisters, 10 p.m. (ABC)
    Undercover Boss, 10 p.m. (CBS)
    Bored to Death, 10 p.m. (HBO)
    Eastbound & Down, 10:30 p.m. (HBO)

Tuesday, Sept. 28
    No Ordinary Family, 9 p.m. (ABC) NEW
    The Good Wife, 10 p.m. (CBS)

Wednesday, Sept. 29
    Law & Order: Los Angeles, 10 p.m. (NBC) NEW

Friday, Oct. 1
    Human Target, 8 p.m. (Fox)

Sunday, Oct. 3
    American Dad, 9:30 p.m. (Fox)
    CSI: Miami, 10 p.m. (CBS)

Friday, Oct. 15
    School Pride, 8 p.m. (NBC)

Wednesday, Oct. 27
    Friday Night Lights (DirecTV)

Wednesday, Nov. 10
    Lie to Me, 8 p.m. (Fox)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member

Tuesday, Sept. 21
    Glee, 8 p.m. (Fox)
    Ten have fast-tracked this in Australia so it will be shown the very next night. I guess E4 will wait until January and follow the same scheduling as season one.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    An hour-long live episode would be a big ask, and, as they're doing a live ep to try to secure the highest soap rating of the year, they wouldn't want it to clash with EastEnders on the Friday night, because it would shave a chunk off the viewing figure.

They did an hour-long in 2000 - with ad breaks it's probably less intense than if it were without.

I do think it'll be two half hour episodes though if it is on the Friday.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Ten have fast-tracked this in Australia so it will be shown the very next night. I guess E4 will wait until January and follow the same scheduling as season one.
    Looks to be the case now - though there has been conflicting reports, the most recent seem to suggest January.

A bad move IMO by E4 - perhaps within a week wouldn't have been best, but I'd certainly have looked for a start around November so by the time of the Superbowl episode (which will presumably kick-off the second part of the season) they're basically up to date.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a note (not that it'll affect TV ratings), it seems like The Inbetweeners has crashed TV Catchup.com.
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Just a note (not that it'll affect TV ratings), it seems like The Inbetweeners has crashed TV Catchup.com.

And it was a brilliant episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/09/13/mtv-video-music-awards-average-11-4-million-viewers-most-since-2002/63085

Last night, the VMAs received 11.4 million viewers last night, the most since the 2002 ceremony. Last year, the show attracted 8.972m.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday, Sept. 23
    My Generation, 8 p.m. (ABC) NEW
    The Big Bang Theory, 8 p.m. (CBS)
    Bones, 8 p.m. (Fox)
    Community, 8 p.m. (NBC)
    30 Rock, 8:30 p.m. (NBC)
    $#*! My Dad Says, 8:30 p.m. (CBS) NEW
    Grey’s Anatomy, 9 p.m. (ABC)
    CSI, 9 p.m. (CBS)
    Fringe, 9 p.m. (Fox)
    The Office, 9 p.m. (NBC)
    Outsourced, 9:30 p.m. (NBC) NEW
    Private Practice, 10 p.m. (ABC)
    The Mentalist, 10 p.m. (CBS)
    HOLY SH*T

Holy sh*t is what I am also thinking.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    Holy sh*t is what I am also thinking.

Well we've got SCD, Rock and Chips and Odd One Out...take the America

*cough*
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Story of the night:
    * The X Factor recovers to respectable levels after last night's crash;
    * But it's not all smooth sailing for Seven as Home and Away dips below 1 million again.
    * Elsewhere, the premiere of Hellcats is by far the most watched programme on multichannel;
    * And the first Q&A of the new government wins its timeslot for ABC1.

Seven
    18:00 Seven News 1.48m
    18:30 Today Tonight 1.40m
    19:00 Home and Away 0.99m
    19:30 The X Factor 1.23m
    20:30 Criminal Minds 1.22m
    21:30 Covert Affairs 0.70m

Nine
    18:00 Nine News 1.34m
    18:30 A Current Affair 1.25m
    19:00 Two and a Half Men (R) 1.12m
    19:30 Two and a Half Men (R) 1.16m
    20:00 Hot in Cleveland 0.94m
    20:30 Rescue Special Ops 0.86m
    21:30 The Secret Millionaire 0.68m

Ten
    17:00 Ten News at Five 0.85m
    18:00 The Simpsons (R) 0.63m
    18:30 Neighbours 0.66m
    19:00 The 7pm Project 0.96m
    19:30 The Obamas: Inside the Whitehouse 0.83m
    20:30 Good News Week 0.92m
    22:00 Cops 0.44m

ABC1
    19:00 ABC News 1.10m
    19:30 The 7.30 Report 0.89m
    20:00 Australian Story 0.89m
    20:30 Four Corners 0.71m
    21:20 Media Watch 0.73m
    21:35 Q&A 0.77m

GO!
    19:30 New: Hellcats 0.29m
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concert for Heroes did excellently and dented ITV's schedule. I still think that Heartbeat should be held onto by ITV - yesterday's performance against tough opposition proves it has legs. Albert's Memorial did alright but not fantastically.

Interesting news about Titanic - they basically have 18 months to film it, work on the CGI and edit it for broadcast if they want to air it around the 100th anniversary. Considering the 'blockbuster' style I'm guessing they're going to go for that isn't much time really.
  • Options
    PJMillarPJMillar Posts: 3,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Inbetweeners does well, it's one of those sitcoms which actually creates a lot of buzz, and weirdly, it's something I can watch with my dad - unlike something like Skins.

As for Heartbeat, it should return - but I'd like to see a Life on Mars/Ashes To Ashes element as it enters the 1970s.

Why have the characters been in the 1960s for so long? Has Lord Ashfordly meddled with time? :D

It would ruin the show, arguably - but it could take it into another direction, appealing to older viewers and sci-fi viewers - because I'm sure we've all watched the programme before.
This discussion has been closed.