Is this an acceptable thing to do?

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My friend's (who I don't really speak to anymore) birthday was today and I've been busy all day completing a university assignment so have been stressing quite a bit, so therefore haven't had the chance to browse on any social media site. She sent me an inbox on Facebook this evening which stated 'aren't you going to wish me a happy birthday??'

Do you think this is an acceptable thing to do?

Comments

• ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I think you could have at least said happy birthday to her (if you didn't).

It only takes 10 seconds to say happy birthday on a text. I don't think anyone is so busy, they can't do that personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you aren't that close and haven't even been on any networks then no , u haven't done anything wrong
    Forum Member
    If you aren't that close and haven't even been on any networks then no , u haven't done anything wrong

I tend to think someone is reasonably close when they refer to them as a 'friend', but maybe that is just something that is thrown around now, I mean facebook friend often doesn't seem to mean anything, evidently ^^ :p
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I think that message would piss me off...but it really only takes seconds to say 'happy birthday'.
    Forum Member
    I think that message would piss me off...but it really only takes seconds to say 'happy birthday'.

I bet it'd piss you off more if all your friends forgot your birthday though :p

It's weird though, I can't imagine anyone writing that, it's so nerdy. Strange friends you have OP :D
  • _kitty_kitty Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Your friend is probably slightly hurt that you didn't wish them happy birthday so they're just giving you a nudge. Maybe even to see if you are indeed still talking to them..?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    Coming from a University student, I totally understand how you can be so focused on one thing you need to try and not look on Social Media (Unless you are taking a break, which is required really). Just be honest and say you've been doing your assignment all day. She should understand that surely?
  • _kitty_kitty Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Coming from a University student, I totally understand how you can be so focused on one thing you need to try and not look on Social Media (Unless you are taking a break, which is required really). Just be honest and say you've been doing your assignment all day. She should understand that surely?

This is what I'd do and have done in the past :blush:
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    I bet it'd piss you off more if all your friends forgot your birthday though :p

It's weird though, I can't imagine anyone writing that, it's so nerdy. Strange friends you have OP :D

Not really, I'm not much of a birthday person.

I agree though, its a strange message to receive.
    Forum Member

Coming from a former university student, I think it's really easy to spend 10 seconds writing out a text to say happy birthday to a friend before getting back on with an assignment, though most of the uni students I knew spent as much time drinking as studying :p
  • Presto ShinkoPresto Shinko Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would depend on the personality of the friend. I can think of at least two ways it could be said. I have different types of friends, one is quite needy and would say this type of thing for attention. Others would maybe say it but just as a cheeky but gentle big at my forgetfulness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Coming from a former university student, I think it's really easy to spend 10 seconds writing out a text to say happy birthday to a friend before getting back on with an assignment, though most of the uni students I knew spent as much time drinking as studying :p

Personally I procrastinate even when doing my essay - my 'short break' turns into a long one. This usually happens on essays I'm worried about :blush:
    Forum Member
    Not really, I'm not much of a birthday person.

I agree though, its a strange message to receive.

Ah, ok. But even if I wasn't a birthday person, I know my friends enough to know which ones are birthday people, and I wouldn't ignore them on their birthday, because I don't just assume everyone is like me.

I like it though personally. It's nice to make a night out of it and celebrate someone and sort of big them up a bit for one night :D
    Forum Member
    Personally I procrastinate even when doing my essay - my 'short break' turns into a long one. This usually happens on essays I'm worried about :blush:

Sounds just like my gf :cry: I'm like; 'Just start writing!' and she can't do it, she ends up failing it :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a question OP did u even know it was their bday beforehand?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend's (who I don't really speak to anymore) birthday was today and I've been busy all day completing a university assignment so have been stressing quite a bit, so therefore haven't had the chance to browse on any social media site. She sent me an inbox on Facebook this evening which stated 'aren't you going to wish me a happy birthday??'

Maybe she likes you and was being a bit flirtatious.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm a little confused. Are you still friends or not ?
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've been left a bit peeved OP, you should wish her a happy 40th (I'm assuming she's of a similar age to your, uni going self).
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a question OP did u even know it was their bday beforehand?
    If they are friends and on Facebook, it tells you when it's a friend's birthday :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    If you don't speak any more, why would you wish her a happy birthday? She sounds a bit "single white female" to me. Ignore, block, delete and restrain the biatch!
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's a generational thing, but in the time before the instant gratification of FB/Twitter/texts etc one actually had to plan ahead then buy and post a card. If the friend meant anything then that was what you did; or at least phoned them.

FFS, how long does it take to to pick up a mobile or log on to social media sites and write three or four words?

It seems to me that nearly everyone I come in to contact with is wedded to their mobile. Hardly a waking hour passes when texts and status updates aren't checked. It takes about 10 seconds. The guys who work for me would constantly check their phones if I didn't have a "no mobiles in work time" rule. As soon as there's a break then it's the first thing they do even before lighting up or putting the kettle on.

I'll get flamed for this I'm sure, but perhaps the deep and uncomfortable truth is you left it to the last minute to do the assignment, and now maybe you're feeling a bit angry with yourself that you didn't plan better. You're looking for some validation to justify your actions (or lack of them) when in your heart you know that there were times when you could have checked. Maybe even deeper than that, you know this friendship is waning and that's a source of guilt?

Or you just couldn't be arsed and let's forget about the whole thing :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone always willing to be filled with furious outrage, I find that I can't quite manage it here.

The correct response to 'Aren't you going to wish me happy birthday?" is surely 'Yes, happy birthday! Hope you're having a good day."; if you have time to go onto facebook and read through the posts, you have time to write that.

If you think that requires greater reserves of generosity than you have, the other correct response is to block this person you obviously neither like nor respect and think of it no more.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can she see anything with her head so far up her backside? Some people think they deserve celebrity status for the most average situations in life.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You obviously don't think so. :confused:

And what makes it sad is that you had more time to create this thread than wishing her a good birthday.
  • Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound's like she doesn't 'have many other freinds