The Ryder Cup on TV.

Comments

• henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Yep will listen to the golf on the 3 hour journey from London to hull on the Saturday.

Does that make you a Man City fan? I thought only United fans lived in London.....;-)
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres red button on ryder cup from friday:
    so maybe USA tv could be one feed?
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Does that make you a Man City fan? I thought only United fans lived in London.....;-)

nope going back to uni.:D
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As there is no 'world' cup of Golf, would a mixed fours work in The Olympics?
    Day 1 - 4 Mixed Teams (Sat to Tues)
    Day 7 -10 Women's individual event (Fri to Mon)
    Day 12 - 15 Men's individual event (Wed to Sat).

Just thinking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres red button on ryder cup from friday:
    so maybe USA tv could be one feed?

they have said there will be us comms on red button..
    looks like 5 screens on red button..
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky make out that the Ryder Cup is something that belongs to them. Almost as if it dodnt exist until Sky started covering it.

But I find that listening to it on 5Live is pretty special, they tend to have a great time working on it.

Radio Scotland usually live commentary for the Open. I think they will be live for the Ryder Cup.

The only place I can hear Renton Laidlaw these days.
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there is no 'world' cup of Golf, would a mixed fours work in The Olympics?
    Day 1 - 4 Mixed Teams (Sat to Tues)
    Day 7 -10 Women's individual event (Fri to Mon)
    Day 12 - 15 Men's individual event (Wed to Sat).

Just thinking

Has the format been announced for the Olympics?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good BBC TV coverage this weekend. 2 hours of prime time highlights on Sunday.
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    So many Adverts on the coverage.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sky coverage is so disjointed - you see players in the rough or in the sand or on the green and have no idea how they got there as you didn't see the shots beforehand.

The graphical representations of tee shots are also no substitute for seeing the shots themselves.
  • An TarbhAn Tarbh Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    been very disappointed with sky's coverage so far, with only one match on the course they showed an interview with McIlroy as the second shots were being hit, the US coverage is definitely putting it to shame, just a pity Sky aren't giving it to us in HD as they did in 2012.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

Yes a mens strokeplay and a ladies strokeplay event, each over 4 days and I think with no cut.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am listening to the BBC radio coverage at the moment while browsing DS, Haven't seen Sky coverage yet.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Being less nations the PanAm Games in Toronto next year have 4 events
    Mens and Womens, Singles and Teams.

http://www.toronto2015.org/golf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Tarbh wrote: »
    been very disappointed with sky's coverage so far, with only one match on the course they showed an interview with McIlroy as the second shots were being hit, the US coverage is definitely putting it to shame, just a pity Sky aren't giving it to us in HD as they did in 2012.

i agree us coverage is good, but they take more adverts than sky!!
    but there ahead of showing some shots,before sky show them...
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Sky the host Broadcaster or is it a world feed provided by the organisers
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone give me a rundown who has been heard working for Sky today please?
    Forum Member
    i agree us coverage is good, but they take more adverts than sky!!
    but there ahead of showing some shots,before sky show them...
    Could someone give me a rundown who has been heard working for Sky today please?

David Livingstone presenting with David Howell in the studio.
    Ewen Murray, Bruce Critchley, Butch Harmon, Rob Lee, Darren Clarke and Colin Montgomerie on commentary.
    Howard Clarke, Richard Boxall & Andrew Coltart on the course.
    Interviews with Tim Barter & Sarah Stirk.

Thankful so far not to have seen Mark Roe, correct me if I'm wrong, but would have been good to have Wayne Riley on the course.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Livingstone presenting with David Howell in the studio.
    Ewen Murray, Bruce Critchley, Butch Harmon, Rob Lee, Darren Clarke and Colin Montgomerie on commentary.
    Howard Clarke, Richard Boxall & Andrew Coltart on the course.
    Interviews with Tim Barter & Sarah Stirk.

Thankful so far not to have seen Mark Roe, correct me if I'm wrong, but would have been good to have Wayne Riley on the course.

You would think he would get the seniority over Coltart but then again maybe Coltart got the nod as he's Scottish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flicked onto the American commentary. No HD. What's the point in that?
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there has been "overshowing" of marquee players.

This morning we had just 2 matches left out on the course:

- Bjorn/Kaymer all square with Fowler/Walker playing the 18th

- McIlroy/Garcia all square with Mickelson/Bradley playing the 15th

The entire focus was on the McIlroy match playing the 15th - we didn't see any of the tee shots of the Bjorn match on the 18th and only one of the 2nd shots (Fowler I think).

It should have been the other way round - the whole focus should have been on the 18th.

Whatever happened in the McIlroy match at 15 it couldn't be decisive - we would be watching them play all holes after that without interruption anyway.

Not saying they should have ignored the McIlroy match at 15 but it should just have been editing in a key shot / putt.
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I think there has been "overshowing" of marquee players.

This morning we had just 2 matches left out on the course:

- Bjorn/Kaymer all square with Fowler/Walker playing the 18th

- McIlroy/Garcia all square with Mickelson/Bradley playing the 15th

The entire focus was on the McIlroy match playing the 15th - we didn't see any of the tee shots of the Bjorn match on the 18th and only one of the 2nd shots (Fowler I think).

It should have been the other way round - the whole focus should have been on the 18th.

Whatever happened in the McIlroy match at 15 it couldn't be decisive - we would be watching them play all holes after that without interruption anyway.

Not saying they should have ignored the McIlroy match at 15 but it should just have been editing in a key shot / putt.

that's been the main difference in the coverage today, with the US coverage you were seeing a more even mix of each match and they were timing their ads much better as well, more often than not Sky had missed a key moment while you saw it happen on the US coverage several minutes earlier.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's been the main difference in the coverage today, with the US coverage you were seeing a more even mix of each match and they were timing their ads much better as well, more often than not Sky had missed a key moment while you saw it happen on the US coverage several minutes earlier.

The selection of shots to show has always been a huge strength of US golf coverage - even with more ad breaks they almost never show an approach shot and then don't show the following putt.

It always all "makes sense" - the viewer isn't left dangling.

There was another classic example this afternoon - Mickelson was left with a 3 foot putt to win a hole (13th?) - a hole we had watched an awful lot of - and they cut to the McIlroy match to show fairway shots and we watch Fowler doing practice swings in the rough and an awful lot of standing around.

The Mickelson putt was then only shown literally about 3 or 4 minutes later - completely disjointed from everything which led up to it - which had been shown much earlier.

It's very bad production and the sort of thing the likes of CBS would never, ever do.

But I'm very suspicious that it's being substantially driven by a desire to "be with McIlroy" far more than is justified by the play - ie it's not just the producers being incompetent.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It be interesting to see what they will do on the BBC highlights later :D
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    But I'm very suspicious that it's being substantially driven by a desire to "be with McIlroy" far more than is justified by the play

History tells that when Sky show an event that either attracts a lot of general sports viewers in its own right or that they have made a concerted effort to attract a lot of general sports viewers to, they do gear the coverage to those people by focusing it on the one or two players they're likely to be most aware of.

For instance, their darts coverage has forever been focused around Phil Taylor because he's the player that general sports fans have most heard of and are most likely to tune in to see, and the rest of their coverage is mainly built around that.

However, I think Sky are making a big mistake if they're trying to similarly build their Ryder Cup coverage around McIlroy because general sports viewers are not coming to the event purely to see him play, they're coming to the event because they're captivated by the contest as a whole and they want to see how it'll unfold and who'll emerge as the victor.