Options

The Conjuring

dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched this last night on netflix scared the hell out of me, the scariest movie ive seen to date. If there is a scarier film then that then share your thoughts but i doubt it. :)

Comments

• Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annabelle, its spin-off, is quite a bit scarier IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should mention that trev the reason i watched the conjuring was because my brother mentioned he had watched it then he said that Annabelle was the prequel. Ive seen a few reviews for Annabelle and they look bad also why didnt James Wan direct it he was only a producer. Still i will look forward to it when i can view it.
  • Options
    RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Loved 'The Conjuring', it was probably the best horror flick that was shown in cinemas last year. 'Annabelle' has it's moments but it isn't nearly as good or effective...
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've never, ever seen a horror movie then maybe it's ok but I turned it off after about 30 mins.
    Tedious, predictable and inspired by the witterings of a couple of charlatans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well ive seen countless horror films believe me and it was the best, if you wasnt scared of that then fair enough each to there own.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that trev the reason i watched the conjuring was because my brother mentioned he had watched it then he said that Annabelle was the prequel. Ive seen a few reviews for Annabelle and they look bad also why didnt James Wan direct it he was only a producer. Still i will look forward to it when i can view it.

It's TERRIBLY paced. It clocks in at something like 99 mins but it felt longer. The Conjuring is definitely a better film (that clapping scene with the mum - chills) but I just find possessed dolls terrifying. :D
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG just saw it last week in Korea. Was quite big there. It wasnt amazing tbh. Youve seen it all before...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Annabelle, its spin-off, is quite a bit crappier IMO.

Fixed it :D:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conjuring isn't on Netflix. You have to rent the DVD.
  • Options
    nathanpaynenathanpayne Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Red John wrote: »
    The Conjuring isn't on Netflix. You have to rent the DVD.

American netflix has it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American netflix has it ;)

I'm logged in to US Netflix right now and this is what I get when I search for The Conjuring: http://i.imgur.com/ykl55sX.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The conjuring is on sweden netflix which i signed up for with unblock-us. Scary part for me was where the girl jumped of the wardrobe but many scary moments all great stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The conjuring is on sweden netflix

Nice one. Actually you don't need to sign up for the different countries, just one account is enough. I'm using Hola. Shame I can't get Hola on my console :(

Off to watch it now.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well ive seen countless horror films believe me and it was the best, if you wasnt scared of that then fair enough each to there own.

Watch "The Haunting" from 1963, then decide what scares you.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that on netflix
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching it. I'll give it a 7.5/10. Mostly predictable jump scares but it was well done.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a very good film of it's kind. I think for me the key thing is the cast is very strong and the characters are fleshed out somewhat. It elevates it above a lot of horror films of this kind.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conjuring 2 is set for Summer 2016. James Wan will be returning to direct.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

I thought it was next Halloween.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

Can't wait for that :)
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I thought this was a very good film of it's kind. I think for me the key thing is the cast is very strong and the characters are fleshed out somewhat. It elevates it above a lot of horror films of this kind.

I agree with that. When films turn into sequels, it makes it better that you feel you know the characters and are revisiting them. There are few of its kind floating about at the moment which I like.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a decent enough film, but the "Based on a true story" claim really annoys me. I suppose "Based on unsubstantiated anecdotes" wouldn't look as good on the poster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh i seen this in Tesco, so might get it for Halloween Lol
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Saw it last week.

Handsome-looking, and it has its moments. But James Wan is too eager to deploy his overbearing crash-bang-creak sound design, often spoiling the atmosphere. The quieter scares are the better ones ('clap'). And for all the talk of more fleshed-out characters, it didn't have that much bearing on the narrative.

Certainly a cut above most modern horror dreck, but there was perhaps a better film to be had here. 6/10
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it for the first time a couple of days ago.

I think it was a good film.
    It was very well made I thought. I think what makes this better than most of the films of this type is that it simply works as a good well made film where you care about the characters.
    I didn't feel like it was the usual box of tricks relying on jumpy moments alone, and that it stood by itself in its own right as a decent film with some depth, whether it was a horror film or not.
    I liked the idea of focusing on the two paranormal experts as protagonists.