Detectorists

Comments

• Options
    blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    It's great writing throughout.

My own favourite line was when the President of the club was told that the shrapnel lodged in his leg could be a problem when he now went metal detecting, followed by 'that's why Barry Sheen had to give it up'. Or words to that effect.

It brought to mind an image of Barry Sheen out detecting with the detector constantly bleeping wherever he went. Pissing myself at that one.

Episode 3 opening scene Lance shouts'Anything?'
    Just cracks me up.

Watch on i player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    It's great writing throughout.

My own favourite line was when the President of the club was told that the shrapnel lodged in his leg could be a problem when he now went metal detecting, followed by 'that's why Barry Sheen had to give it up'. Or words to that effect.

It brought to mind an image of Barry Sheen out detecting with the detector constantly bleeping wherever he went. Pissing myself at that one.

Another fave,episode 1,Lance in the yard;
    'Bollox mate you just want see that girl again' right thru to Becky shouting '**** off' outside the school.

Starts 11:08 i player.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Another fave,episode 1,Lance in the yard;
    'Bollox mate you just want see that girl again' right thru to Becky shouting '**** off' outside the school.

Starts 11:08 i player.

It that where Andy asked if she wanted to go to the talk on Buttons? That was so funny :D
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I don't see this Becky bullying thing at all.

She tease him, but it seems to be all in good fun. She doesn't care he's a metal detectorer (DETECTORIST!), she may get a bit annoyed now and again when Andy decides to do something with Lance instead of her, and who wouldn't? But I don't see any bullying.

He teases himself about his interests and she adds to it. It seems perfectly fine to me.

I completely agree. I would've thought people could tell by her tone of voice and her manner, no hint of bullying in either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    It that where Andy asked if she wanted to go to the talk on Buttons? That was so funny :D
    Yes that bit x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said it was real? It's a piece of dramatised fiction, and we are discussing it as such.

Exactly!! If we all thought that, what would be the point in talking about, or having an opinion on anything?
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just cracks me up.

the jim'll fix it fix it badge :D

i would think a jim'll fix it badge would be worth a few bob now
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    the jim'll fix it fix it badge :D

i would think a jim'll fix it badge would be worth a few bob now

Much like my sister's next door neighbour's collection of Rolf Harris original artwork ( seriously ) I would expect a "Jim'll Fix it" badge to be worth less than before.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lance is a dark horse isn't he? I loved the bit where he was toying with his awful ex wife as to whether he would lend her some money, knowing all the time that he could afford to but wouldn't. And the way she crept around him with promises to see more of him. So glad he could see through her all the time.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said it was real? It's a piece of dramatised fiction, and we are discussing it as such.

Well some of you are sounding like those soap fans who chase after actors in supermarkets berating them for what their characters did. Why does everything on TV these days, like a half-decent comedy-drama, need to be over-analysed in such a neurotic way. If you know it's not real don't talk as if it's real.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes that bit x

She said 'it' so well :D

Cannot wait for the dvd to come out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    What does BBC4 have to do with Sky?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I was simply replying to a person who'd said he couldn't believe BBC Four had commissioned this show, by saying that it doesn't surprise me at all, given the quality of programming from the channel.

What's your point?
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well some of you are sounding like those soap fans who chase after actors in supermarkets berating them for what their characters did. Why does everything on TV these days, like a half-decent comedy-drama, need to be over-analysed in such a neurotic way. If you know it's not real don't talk as if it's real.

Nobody's forcing you to read our comments.
    Mind the door doesn't hit your arse on the way out.
  • Options
    BootlaceBootlace Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    junnja wrote: »
    Yeah, I know what the point was. As some kind of shocking thing you wouldn't expect the character to say. But because of the kind of character Toby Jones had been set up to be. It just made him sound like a c*** too. I thought the character was better than that.

Yes , I tend to agree about the C-word, I think the character of Lance would've been cololurful but more inventive with his sweary dislike.

Overall I'm enjoying the program, some gentle but amusing lines.

'Good luck with that one......... You're on thin ice..........................You could find yourself in hot water!' Nice mix of metaphors.

I quite liked the character of Sophie, thought she was too nice to be a spy, perhaps I'm just gullible.

Done them caulis?
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    junnja wrote: »
    Really enjoying this show. Great writing. Brilliant casting and performances,

However, I consider myself as open-minded as anyone. And although i don't deny the
    existence of he C word. I found it inappropriate in what I'd describe as a gentle comedy. it really jarred with me.

I know that sometimes it's the only word to describe certain individuals. And Tony certainly is one. But I'm sure something else would have done.

Eh............because he's a dick, would have worked for me.

Honest, I'm not getting all offended and outraged,. It just felt out of place.

One of the best shows on TV for a long time, though. :)

For me, it's because it's so out of place that it's so funny. It totally changed the tone in an instant and had me laughing out loud, partly in shock. No other word has that impact-giving it tremendous potential in comedy. Like the Curb "beloved Aunt" episode. Using dick instead, if you pardon my expression, would just be relatively limp.

I will admit at this point that I am a fan of the likes of Chris Morris and Peter Cook. I appreciate that kind of humour isn't to everybody's tastes ;-)
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of the word, either, but I thought it worked beautifully. My interpretation was that it was thrown in as a splutter-your-gobfull-of-coffe moment.

It worked! It also represented that hitherto restrained, un-expressed (on-screen) hatred that Lance has for that particularly reprehensible character. It was like a coiled spring unwinding.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried watching, I really did. All episodes so far. Its about as appealing as recycled toilet paper.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried watching, I really did. All episodes so far. Its about as appealing as recycled toilet paper.

But given that most of the programmes on offer are Izal .......
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member

Each to their own. I couldnt disagree more.
    It is one of the best comedies on the telly since I dont know when.
    IMHO 👍😊
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just cracks me up.

Watch on i player.

I have watched each episode about 4 times now :blush: They are funnier the more you watch.

The dvd is on my 'want' list.
  • Options
    BootlaceBootlace Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    For me, it's because it's so out of place that it's so funny. It totally changed the tone in an instant and had me laughing out loud, partly in shock. No other word has that impact-giving it tremendous potential in comedy. Like the Curb "beloved Aunt" episode. Using dick instead, if you pardon my expression, would just be relatively limp.

I will admit at this point that I am a fan of the likes of Chris Morris and Peter Cook. I appreciate that kind of humour isn't to everybody's tastes ;-)

its interesting how people can respond differently to words in a certain context.

I understand that it was Lances's extreme dislike bubbling to the surface, but i did not laugh out loud, in fact i just felt slight disappointment.

I suppose the main thing is, that its worth watching.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bow to your obviously superior knowledge of recycled toilet paper. (I always by new, myself.)

I do find this a really excellent, intelligent, series, though.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I have watched each episode about 4 times now :blush: They are funnier the more you watch.

The dvd is on my 'want' list.

DVD comes out 10th of November according to today's papers. It's been an amazing programme in which nothing really happens but leaves you with a big smile on your face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DVD comes out 10th of November according to today's papers. It's been an amazing programme in which nothing really happens but leaves you with a big smile on your face.

Oooo Thank you for that.

Totally amazing. The lemonade sketch was so funny and the little comments the make are classic.
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last part about to start....