Do you review products?

MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
Forum Member
I find product reviews on online stores quite useful, especially for non big-brand items. However I don't write that many reviews. I did go through a phase of writing reviews for some of my Amazon purchases and I was quite pleased when my review of a book became marked as one of the most "helpful critical" reviews.

Have you written any reviews? Do you tend to stick to a few retailers/sites?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I do but not all the time as I'm not always in the mood to be bothered, they can be helpful though.

Are they all from genuine buyers, on Amazon you can leave a review if you haven't even purchased it from them?
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do sometimes and recently was contacted by someone from the company that I had voiced some criticism (and some compliments too) against! He said he genuinely took it on board and was going to bring my review to the attention of his customer service staff.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Often I do, yes, if there is the option to do so.

I bought a trendy metal locker earlier this year. It had a padlock with it that didn't work so I contacted the company, who sent me a new one free. I told them that I loved the locker, that I'd always wanted one and how good it was etc - and they replied and asked me if they could have permission to use my comments as an endorsement!

Of course, I said yes, am just off to see if it's anywhere on their website!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find product reviews on online stores quite useful, especially for non big-brand items. However I don't write that many reviews. I did go through a phase of writing reviews for some of my Amazon purchases and I was quite pleased when my review of a book became marked as one of the most "helpful critical" reviews.

Have you written any reviews? Do you tend to stick to a few retailers/sites?

Only if I've been especially impressed/disappointed with a given product. Run of the mill stuff, I don't bother.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try and give as detailed a review about what I've bought as possible. A detailed review isn't always possible because of what the item is though. When I can give a detailed review about something I've bought, I do. If I can help someone enough to make a decision as to whether or not to buy something, that's good enough for me.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to write book reviews at Amazon UK.

I once wrote a review of Stokes tomato ketchup at Ocado dot com. I praised the product, but put out a warning that the bottle neck might be vulnerable. It snapped off when I unscrewed the top first time (I bought this product a few times until the bottle neck incident). The review was removed within a few hours.

Next day I received an email from Ocado, offering an apology and a refund. I asked why the review was removed. They said Stokes requested it. Ocado removed it after Stokes assured them this kind of incident was a rarity. Ocado then asked if they could pass on my contact details to Stokes, who wanted to get in touch with me about the incident. I refused. That was the end of it.

Ocado's customer service was impressive, but I'm still annoyed they removed the review at Stokes's request. I haven't bought a Stokes product nor shopped at Ocado since.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do on Amazon, yes - I review the item and the seller. I find the reviews on there so helpful I feel it's my duty to add my tuppence worth :D Mostly positive reviews, but those are as useful as the negative ones :)

I don't on any other site though (supermarkets, etc) although I only recently noticed that you could on there, so I might start doing so if I have the time!
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I review books I've read, on Good Reads and Amazon. I also review clothes I've bought from various online outlets. I always read reviews before parting with my hard-earned money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I review books I've read, on Good Reads and Amazon. I also review clothes I've bought from various online outlets. I always read reviews before parting with my hard-earned money.

I used to read and write reviews at Good Reads, but stopped visiting when I got tired of those gif-ridden reviews and turf wars. Are those still going on?
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I used to read and write reviews at Good Reads, but stopped visiting when I got tired of those gif-ridden reviews and turf wars. Are those still going on?

Those gif ones are so annoying. Nothing but a repeat of some girl s
    from a tv show going yay over and over or a crying one. And yes I do still see those horrible repeating gifs all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the reviews on Amazon are hysterical - if you fancy a hoot there is the Katie Price/Peter Andre CD reviews, absolutely hysterical and well written too :Dhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Whole-World-Katie-Price-Peter/dp/B000JU8FXK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1415534287&sr=1-1&keywords=katie+price+and+peter+andre%27s+whole+new+world+album

One of the shorter ones "This album is a testament to love's young dream. Still devastated by their split and I have not been able to achieve an erection since the news." :D
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Unfortunately, yes. I scroll past them.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Sometimes I do but not all the time as I'm not always in the mood to be bothered, they can be helpful though.

Are they all from genuine buyers, on Amazon you can leave a review if you haven't even purchased it from them?

If a reviewer has the item in their Amazon purchase history there is a highlight in the review saying "Verified Purchase." Otherwise yes you can review products you didn't buy from them.
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Some of the reviews on Amazon are hysterical - if you fancy a hoot there is the Katie Price/Peter Andre CD reviews, absolutely hysterical and well written too :Dhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Whole-World-Katie-Price-Peter/dp/B000JU8FXK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1415534287&sr=1-1&keywords=katie+price+and+peter+andre%27s+whole+new+world+album

One of the shorter ones "This album is a testament to love's young dream. Still devastated by their split and I have not been able to achieve an erection since the news." :D
    My absolute favourite is the Paul Ross canvas, the reviews - all 509 of them - are insane :D
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Box-Canvas-Print-Paul-Ross/dp/B001N6W8U0
    The satisfaction I have had from my Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross can not be put into mere words, but I shall try. On one memorable occasion it actually saved me from a life of drugs and taking midnight strolls around heavily wooded areas in Berkshire. During one particularly bad night when I thought the demons had finally stolen my wretched soul and life wasn't worth living anymore, I turned to look at my Paul Ross canvas print and in desperation screamed:"Paul! You are the font of all knowledge and undisputed king of corporate entertainment, please, please, please, tell me what I should do"? It was uncanny, but those eyes of 57 years of wisdom appeared to bore into mine and through, I don't know what, telepathy perhaps, I heard these healing words: "Pull yourself together me old son. You don't really want to miss my appearance on the couch as guest critic on tomorrow's Good Morning Britain do you"? I was saved! I was saved!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    Those gif ones are so annoying. Nothing but a repeat of some girl s
    from a tv show going yay over and over or a crying one. And yes I do still see those horrible repeating gifs all the time.
    Unfortunately, yes. I scroll past them.

Such a shame. I wish there was an option to hide those gifs. I cracked after someone used them in a review for a non-fiction book. What the ****, dude? I understand the presence in YA book reviews, but in a review of a history book? Nah.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My absolute favourite is the Paul Ross canvas, the reviews - all 509 of them - are insane :D
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Box-Canvas-Print-Paul-Ross/dp/B001N6W8U0
    Hahaha I shall take a look!!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

Love this one -

I don't own or will ever listen to this album. However, I noticed that it hadn't received a single 2-star rating yet. As a person with CDO (which is like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order) I could obviously not stand this. So here it is - the first 2-star review. You're welcome. :D
    Forum Member

My favourite

Katie has the voice of a young Marvin Gaye, whilst Peter sounds like the smell of a new born baby. Separately, they are peerless - together, they are what an orgasm would look like if it were human.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this one -

I don't own or will ever listen to this album. However, I noticed that it hadn't received a single 2-star rating yet. As a person with CDO (which is like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order) I could obviously not stand this. So here it is - the first 2-star review. You're welcome. :D
    My favourite

Katie has the voice of a young Marvin Gaye, whilst Peter sounds like the smell of a new born baby. Separately, they are peerless - together, they are what an orgasm would look like if it were human.
    :D:D:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously not serious reviews. :D I'd love to know what Katie Price thinks about them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Obviously not serious reviews. :D I'd love to know what Katie Price thinks about them.
    She's no fool, attention is attention - I imagine she loves it :D
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Bit of a contradiction in terms there zx50 ! :D
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've written a couple of reviews for products I've bought via Amazon.