The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Officials:

The Apprentice (12/11) - 7.80m (28.6%)
    Children in Need 2014 (14/11) - 8.54m (33.4%)

Thank you! :)

Small, as expected, timeshift of 0.25m for Children in Need. Had hoped The Apprentice would hit 8m.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here: at the same point in 2012 pulled in 8.65m (36.8%).

Although this year it is lower in numbers, the share is very similar 36.5% (2014) v 36.8% (2012) and both were 90min.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    None of which have anything quite like the impact soaps do are the 'national conversation'.

I think some of those programmes have been more of a national conversation than the soaps. How Sherlock survived the fall? Who killed Danny Latimer? Who will win Bake Off? Bingate in Bake Off. This year especially soaps haven't caught the imagination at the level of some other programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Officials:

The Apprentice (12/11) - 7.80m (28.6%)
    Children in Need 2014 (14/11) - 8.54m (33.4%)

Thanks DMN.

Do you have anything for The Fall?

I have two for Citizen Khan.

31/10 - 3.60m
    07/11 - 3.71m
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks DMN.

31/10 - 3.60m
    07/11 - 3.71m

:D Thats actually not bad!
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    its funny because the majority of shows are down yoy whether its autumn, spring, summer. there is the odd exception like bake off.

Although, as I mentioned before, we can't do a straight comparison with Bake Off as it was promoted to a bigger channel.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    It has however produced some great stuff in the past twelve months, just at more infrequent and inconsistent levels.

Downton Abbey
    Coronation Street
    Britain's Got Talent
    Cilla
    Grantchester
    Mr Selfridge
    Lewis
    The Widower
    I'm a Celebrity..Get Me Out Of Here
    Birds Of A Feather
    Paul O Grady The Life of Dogs

So its still producing a lot of stuff for its market. Perhaps just not as much
    DCI Banks and Broadchurch were decent hits too. ITV is still reasonably strong in drama and has mercifully cut down on reality shows in recent years, but some nights they just shrivel up and die with cheap factual and poor entertainment. I think the end of most live football next year will free up Tuesdays as any new series they launch has been interrupted by the ECL every two weeks in autumn.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Thanks DMN.

31/10 - 3.60m
    07/11 - 3.71m

In todays terms they are not bad a few years ago would have been very poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    DCI Banks and Broadchurch were decent hits too. ITV is still reasonably strong in drama and has mercifully cut down on reality shows in recent years, but some nights they just shrivel up and die with cheap factual and poor entertainment. I think the end of most live football next year will free up Tuesdays as any new series they launch has been interrupted by the ECL every two weeks in autumn.

Tuesday should be more consistent with Champions League football out of the way. I expect ITV to be stronger on that night next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    It has however produced some great stuff in the past twelve months, just at more infrequent and inconsistent levels.

Downton Abbey
    Coronation Street
    Britain's Got Talent
    Cilla
    Grantchester
    Mr Selfridge
    Lewis
    The Widower
    I'm a Celebrity..Get Me Out Of Here
    Birds Of A Feather
    Paul O Grady The Life of Dogs

So its still producing a lot of stuff for its market. Perhaps just not as much

I have to respond to your post, since I feel you have been too generous.

Those in bold are really the highlights of this year. I would add Endeavour and Vera to that list also.

2015 has some bolder commissions coming forward though, with stuff like Thunderbirds Are Go, Bear Grylls Survivor, Stars In Their Eyes, Jekyll and Hyde, Broadchurch 2, Home Fires (I have high hopes for this), Bring Back Borstal,The Forgotten, Arthur & George among others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Ricky Gervaise has just posted on Twitter thst a Derek special will be on C4 this Christmas! Did not realise this would be ready so soon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    :D Thats actually not bad!
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    In todays terms they are not bad a few years ago would have been very poor.

If Citizen Khan was a good performer it would have grown its audience in series 2. It should be getting 5m. BBC1 should have used Thursday at 8.30pm to try and grow sitcoms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Gervaise has just posted on Twitter thst a Derek special will be on C4 this Christmas! Did not realise this would be ready so soon!

That was announced a few weeks ago, the last episode of Derek too.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here: at the same point in 2012 pulled in 8.65m (36.8%).

Although this year it is lower in numbers, the share is very similar 36.5% (2014) v 36.8% (2012) and both were 90min.

Hang on a minute here. That was week 2 of IAC when it scored 8.6m. It actually got 7.4m in 2012 for it's first Friday episode in week 1. Infact, comparing the first Friday week 1 rating - only last years beat last nights figure. The first Friday episode of week 1 of 2010, 2011 and 2012 all performed worse than last nights 8.2m.

That's the main problem with this thread. 8.2m is immediately written off, despite it not been too bad actually. So can we bring back the lifeboats please.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I have to respond to your post, since I feel you have been too generous.

Those in bold are really the highlights of this year. I would add Endeavour and Vera to that list also.

2015 has some bolder commissions coming forward though, with stuff like Thunderbirds Are Go, Bear Grylls Survivor, Stars In Their Eyes, Jekyll and Hyde, Broadchurch 2, Home Fires (I have high hopes for this), Bring Back Borstal,The Forgotten, Arthur & George among others.

Describing Stars in Their Eyes as a bolder commission is a bit of a stretch, although it is certainly risky I suppose, with the chance of it flopping hard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on a minute here. That was week 2 of IAC when it scored 8.6m. It actually got 7.4m in 2012 for it's first Friday episode in week 1. Infact, comparing the first Friday week 1 rating - only last years beat last nights figure. The first Friday episode of week 1 of 2010, 2011 and 2012 all performed worse than last nights 8.2m.

That's the main problem with this thread. 8.2m is immediately written off, despite it not been too bad actually. So can we bring back the lifeboats please.

Oops, my mistake. That rating is fine then. It was only last when IAC ratings spiked to huge heights. Nearly 10m last year for the 1st Friday.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Describing Stars in Their Eyes as a bolder commission is a bit of a stretch, although it is certainly risky I suppose, with the chance of it flopping hard.

I think Stars In Their Eyes will have quite a different tone to the original with Harry Hill doing it. I think it'll be as much a vehicle for him as anything else so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out, especially if it lands against The Voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »

Considering it is likely to be on in January either Sat/Sun, its certainly got to prove itself and rate well. It could be anything from 6.5m+ to below 4m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oops, my mistake. That rating is fine then. It was only last when IAC ratings spiked to huge heights. Nearly 10m last year for the 1st Friday.

Yes 9.8m including +1 for last years first Friday show.

I disagree massively what someone said earlier about us not been able to say that the 2013 run achieved freak figures - because it did! That's a fact.

I did a comparison yesterday showing that this run is currently in the same ballpark to the 2010, 2011 and 2012 series. So despite everyone on here today claiming IAC is running out of steam is strictly not true. If you compare it to last year the declines are pretty bad - but if you look at the 3-years before that - the numbers are completely fine and as usual it's a load of nonsense about nothing.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday should be more consistent with Champions League football out of the way. I expect ITV to be stronger on that night next year.

The ECL on some occasions has dipped to 3 million and only does well if English teams progress or have to go to the wire in the group stages. Also the absence of Man U and a poor Liverpool performance has hit ratings this year. ITV, if all four English teams are out by the quarter finals, probably won't be too sad about losing the contract. I know there is the argument that those 3 million are mostly men aged 21-40 who rarely watch ITV, but should ITV create a drama for Tuesdays that pulls in double this, has good demos and the Americans like, then this is better in the long term. Also nearly half of men and three quarters of women don't like football, so ITV have a big audience they can chase.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doesn't it usually face Children in Need on its first Friday? Apols if I've got that wrong, but it's normally massively dented by CIN.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    I think Stars In Their Eyes will have quite a different tone to the original with Harry Hill doing it. I think it'll be as much a vehicle for him as anything else so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out, especially if it lands against The Voice.

I'm betting that Harry Hill's SITE will do well for ITV. In fact, of the three major ent commissions coming up - Stars, Bear Grylls and Get Your Act Together, I think Harry's show will rate the best, with GYAT trailing well behind in third.

Predictions: SITE - 6m
    Bear Grylls - 4.5m
    GYAT - 3m
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    It looks like Stars In Their Eyes will end airing against The Voice. According to one of the participants on Get Your Act Together, that will air on Sundays at 7pm in January. As GYAT is 75-minutes in duration, I think they'll probably have All Star Family Fortunes at 8.15pm and stick with Mr Selfridge at 9pm. It won't work out well, but that's what it looks like they'll be doing. Stars In Their Eyes needs to launch extremely well because when it faces The Voice UK auditions from the 2nd/3rd week of January, it will probably shave off a million viewers.
    All of those episodes aired against Children In Need though, Roscoe, which is much tougher competition than Have I Got News For You. Yesterday's episode was IAC's lowest rated for a Friday episode not against CIN since 2009.
    Nothing's been confirmed about that Bear Grylls show. The report about it was originally from the Daily Star about six months ago. Since then, things have gone quiet about it so I wouldn't assume this is happening. The show which has been commissioned featuring him, Britain's Biggest Adventures, sounds like Tuesday 8pm 2-3m material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't it usually face Children in Need on its first Friday? Apols if I've got that wrong, but it's normally massively dented by CIN.

Yes it does I believe. However, the point I'm trying to make is that last nights figure isn't the total disaster is been made out to be.

I do think tonights episode is going to suffer a lot. The scheduling is crazy and with a much weaker XF and a late finish time - that will surely dent the show quite a lot. Maybe even under 7m exc +1.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

I dont think thats a given using this year as an example.
This discussion has been closed.