Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    LOL! Actually, I have just learned how to look for background stuff and the shapes of the buildings so I can recognize them from above.

It's been fun to watch for the little tidbits we are getting for S6 and I am saving them to help with my quest this fall. For instance, someone had a pic of MC outside the Wadebridge library where he is doing some filming. Good clue for me to keep ;)

What really impressed me with you work was first the Buddhas - I had no idea how many and varied they were on ther sari kid sets!!! And the DMs ties.

Thank you so much for your work in finding the localities. You have done amazingly well. :cool:
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Well Shop Girl - there are lots of us who will never have the chance to get there for one reason or another and just know that your efforts at finding all the locations is so appreciated.

One of the events that cemented the forum for me was all of your efforts on all the different kitchens in the series. I originally worried that I was alone in the world of the every changing kitchen.

I was just laughing with Rob about it all starting with the Buddhas! :eek: Yeah, the kitchen thing made me crazy too, plus I am a "spatial" person and I have a need to know when someone walks through a door where they end up. The layout of the surgery made me crazy until I figured it all out.

This is my take on what happened with the surgey interiors. For the pilot episode, they constructed the waiting room and the consulting (eek - my autocorrect tried to change that to "insulting" - maybe it's smarter than I thought! ;)) room. When the series was picked up for the rest of S1, they really didn't make any substantial changes in the waiting room, but did some real upgrading of the consulting room. They needed the kitchen in that first episode too, but I suspect outfitting a complete kitchen in the barn would have been pretty expensive after the construction of the two main rooms. So I maintain that they either rented a cottage in town to use the kitchen, or used the kitchen of a cottage being rented by someone on the crew. In an interview, I remember Martin saying that they use some of the crew's lodging for some of the scenes (I suspect a couple of bedroom scenes and possibly that kitchen). When the show was picked up for a 2nd series, they decided it was cost effective to construct a kitchen set and they tried to match it as closely as possible to the one they used in S1. They did a pretty good job of it, but there are naturally some differences. They also added the attached living room. In S1 here was a wall and a window in that space between the kitchen and living room. The handful of scenes in the living room in S1 were actually done in the front room of Fern Cottage. I think that is the only filming that ever took place inside the cottage - with the exception of scenes in the doorway - they have used that entryway all the way through S5 when necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I was just laughing with Rob about it all starting with the Buddhas! :eek: Yeah, the kitchen thing made me crazy too, plus I am a "spatial" person and I have a need to know when someone walks through a door where they end up. The layout of the surgery made me crazy until I figured it all out.

This is my take on what happened with the surgey interiors. For the pilot episode, they constructed the waiting room and the consulting (eek - my autocorrect tried to change that to "insulting" - maybe it's smarter than I thought! ;)) room. When the series was picked up for the rest of S1, they really didn't make any substantial changes in the waiting room, but did some real upgrading of the consulting room. They needed the kitchen in that first episode too, but I suspect outfitting a complete kitchen in the barn would have been pretty expensive after the construction of the two main rooms. So I maintain that they either rented a cottage in town to use the kitchen, or used the kitchen of a cottage being rented by someone on the crew. In an interview, I remember Martin saying that they use some of the crew's lodging for some of the scenes (I suspect a couple of bedroom scenes and possibly that kitchen). When the show was picked up for a 2nd series, they decided it was cost effective to construct a kitchen set and they tried to match it as closely as possible to the one they used in S1. They did a pretty good job of it, but there are naturally some differences. They also added the attached living room. In S1 here was a wall and a window in that space between the kitchen and living room. The handful of scenes in the living room in S1 were actually done in the front room of Fern Cottage. I think that is the only filming that ever took place inside the cottage - with the exception of scenes in the doorway - they have used that entryway all the way through S5 when necessary.

I have watched the whole of DM at least ten times but I am such an amateur compared to this group!! I have often felt rather lost in that tiny space of a house but never tried to analyze the changes, the setting, etc. Once I learned it was filmed in an offsite set must have just let that go and concentrated more on the acting. This has to be good for my aging brain,,,like learning a language or something. Will be now paying better attention so I can just keep up with all of you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    This lady has updated her Twitter feed with more filming pictures https://twitter.com/sanshui596/media/grid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched the whole of DM at least ten times but I am such an amateur compared to this group!! I have often felt rather lost in that tiny space of a house but never tried to analyze the changes, the setting, etc. Once I learned it was filmed in an offsite set must have just let that go and concentrated more on the acting. This has to be good for my aging brain,,,like learning a language or something. Will be now paying better attention so I can just keep up with all of you!

Maybe this will help - here is what I drew to explain the layout of the surgery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/7811399198/in/set-72157631115091588

If you want to look at my sets, the newest ones are the locations and wardrobe, but the original ones I did started with the Buddhas, the changing furniture in different areas of the consulting room, and the changes in the kitchen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/sets/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This lady has updated her Twitter feed with more filming pictures https://twitter.com/sanshui596/media/grid

Does anyone else out there ever dream, as I do, that one day MC will ask to have his pic taken with ME...?

:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see from the previews that another actor I know well is in the series. Graeme Hawley played a major character in Coronation Street for several years and was killed off a year or so ago. Will be fun to see him too.

Celia Imrie's name was also mentioned. She was Susan Brading, wife of the colonel, in the first DM episode.

What on earth is a lollipop lady? Surely not someone who sells lollipops for a living!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »

What on earth is a lollipop lady? Surely not someone who sells lollipops for a living!

A lollypop lady is a lady who helps children cross the road during times they are going to/from school. They dress in high visible clothes with a sign that says "stop". This sign is in a shape of a lollypop. So that's where the name comes from. They are like the crossing guards that are in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Rob! He found the spot where Martin & Louisa had their picnic and experienced the earthquake! I was able to confirm it using some Google images - will post it all tomorrow.

First Biff, now Rob :D. We'll nail the rest of these locations down - I'm sure of it!

Then we will have to set up a "Doc Martin Tour Map" :rolleyes:

Or offer actual tours. We'll borrow Penhale's police vehicle and borrow "Large Tours" signs from Bert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Also, thanks for the reassurance about walking. I do own a cane which I will bring with me, specifically for the hills. We are staying at the Schoolhouse hotel, to minimize walking hopefully.

Yes, ShopGirl is amazing!

NewPark, when is it that you're going to PI? Did you see the updated list of filming locations and dates that I linked to on Friday? Will you be there for any of those dates?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lollypop lady is a lady who helps children cross the road during times they are going to/from school. They dress in high visible clothes with a sign that says "stop". This sign is in a shape of a lollypop. So that's where the name comes from. They are like the crossing guards that are in the US.

Oh! Thanks, leannethemouse. I never would have guessed. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Does anyone else out there ever dream, as I do, that one day MC will ask to have his pic taken with ME...?

:cry:

Of COURSE I do!!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Saw "Star Trek: Into Darkness" (loved it and I'm a VERY OLD Trekkie" Saw a quote from the director, J.J. Abrahm about the Spock/Uhura romance and it reminded me of the problem LG has with DM: “…and the question becomes how do you reconcile being in love with someone who might be: completely honest, completely reliable, completely loyal…you know…incredibly smart and logical. But also, to a fault, someone where suddenly maybe logic supersedes other things….” - JJ Abrams".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe this will help - here is what I drew to explain the layout of the surgery:

If you want to look at my sets, the newest ones are the locations and wardrobe, but the original ones I did started with the Buddhas, the changing furniture in different areas of the consulting room, and the changes in the kitchen.

There are good visual-spatial skills in this one! :)

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    There are good visual-spatial skills in this one! :)

Rob

See - when I was going into high school I looked at the classes being offered and wanted to take drafting because I thought it might be cool to be an architect. But, that was in the dark ages and I was told that the boys all took drafting and the girls all took home ec. I hated home ec. Never learned to cook or sew or any of that housekeeping crap. But a few years later when they were giving us aptitude tests, I was always good at the stuff where they show you blocks piled on top of each other and you had to tell them what it looked like on the other side.

So, I guess the world lost an architect and gained a Doc Martin detective :D (of course, it took till I was retired and had the time to do exactly what I wanted instead of having to draw a paycheck!)
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting post on Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) FB page.

The post-er says that they are "clearing the barn" (which I think we have heard about, and also that the rent was sharply increased so that was a possible motivation) but also that BP has offered the village a "great deal" (presumably for future filming), which the council is now considering and as the post-er remarks, why offer a deal unless there is a serious possibility that they are planning to come back, or at the very least, not yet ruling it out.

But why would they be "clearing the barn" in the midst of production? Wouldn't they almost have to be setting up somewhere else?

Of course, rumors of all kinds must be flying all the time, but this is kind of intriguing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See - when I was going into high school I looked at the classes being offered and wanted to take drafting because I thought it might be cool to be an architect. But, that was in the dark ages and I was told that the boys all took drafting and the girls all took home ec. I hated home ec. Never learned to cook or sew or any of that housekeeping crap. But a few years later when they were giving us aptitude tests, I was always good at the stuff where they show you blocks piled on top of each other and you had to tell them what it looked like on the other side.

So, I guess the world lost an architect and gained a Doc Martin detective :D (of course, it took till I was retired and had the time to do exactly what I wanted instead of having to draw a paycheck!)

If you were good in math = engineer, science = chemist, biology = doctor

But if you were a girl? Math = math teacher, science = chemistry teacher, biology = nurse.

What a waste! What deluded fools!!! We need all brains on deck! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The post-er says that they are "clearing the barn" (which I think we have heard about, and also that the rent was sharply increased so that was a possible motivation) but also that BP has offered the village a "great deal" (presumably for future filming), which the council is now considering and as the post-er remarks, why offer a deal unless there is a serious possibility that they are planning to come back, or at the very least, not yet ruling it out.

But why would they be "clearing the barn" in the midst of production? Wouldn't they almost have to be setting up somewhere else?

Of course, rumors of all kinds must be flying all the time, but this is kind of intriguing.

There have been a couple of comments on that Facebook page by people who have talked to crew and said there will be a s7.

Maybe the farmer put the rent up exhorbitantly, thinking he had BP over a barrell. BPs been secretly negotiating with the town for their old village hall/ salmon silo and now the deal is done its worth BPs while to move. Maybe? The deal being for this year as well as 2015.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    There have been a couple of comments on that Facebook page by people who have talked to crew and said there will be a s7.

Maybe the farmer put the rent up exhorbitantly, thinking he had BP over a barrell. BPs been secretly negotiating with the town for their old village hall/ salmon silo and now the deal is done its worth BPs while to move. Maybe? The deal being for this year as well as 2015.

You know, I really have mixed reactions to the idea of S7. Among other things, I worry that they will try to build suspense with yet another variant of will-they won't they, this time in "Can this Marriage Work" a la the old Ladies Home Journal feature that I'm sure some of us remember. (Event the title sounds old-fashioned now!)

Do you think they would really be moving the sets to a new location in the midst of filming? the producer must be a logistical genius as well as all her other talents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarification from another FB person, a local: clearing the barn after filming wraps.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, maybe, if they are going to do S7, it may not be, again for two years. Perhaps they do not want to leave equipment there alone for that time but have a better place for storage to protect it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, I really have mixed reactions to the idea of S7. Among other things, I worry that they will try to build suspense with yet another variant of will-they won't they, this time in "Can this Marriage Work" a la the old Ladies Home Journal feature that I'm sure some of us remember. (Event the title sounds old-fashioned now!)

I think the show needs to take off in a new direction for it to continue on without repeating itself. DM and LG are still together, but perhaps in a new location, or they become a brilliant duo of medical detectives (a la The Thin Man) and/or LG's presence grounds the Doc (like Monk's sidekick did) so he can use that giant brain without exploding or imploding too badly while interacting with ordinary mortals. :)
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For S7, if not covered in S6, I think that constant tug inside DM to return to surgery is still there. Somehow, can BP come up with how to accompish this while still staying in the Cornwall area? I wish the doc would become a mentor for Peter Cronk who is considering going into the medical field. As far as DM & LG having more children in future series, I'm not sure, although I am accepting of adoption of an older child--just some thoughts swimming around in my head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

THanks for giving us this URL again. I have a hard time picturing the floor plan of the cottage.

and as a side note, does anyone know why Flickr greets me with my real life name when I go to that site? Actually, it's the way I use it on Yahoo -- is Flickr owned by Yahoo? The big world in the cloud gets ever more mysterious to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New pictures on FB and
    Mrs. Tishell is back, collar and all!

Also, check out picture of woman wearing a black two piece summery outfit, red scarf, who is clearly Caroline Catz, but definitely in a different style to previous seasons (insofar as I know anything at all about style).
This discussion has been closed.