"accurate recordings" starting slightly late - broadcast or box problem?

2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the past few weeks, I've noticed that all BBC recordings have been starting (and finishing) slightly late.

They used to start (and finish) during the channel logo shown just before the programme itself starts. They're now starting within the first few seconds of the programme.

Is this a broadcast change? (i.e. is anyone else noticing it?) or has my HDR become slow in its old age? (Maybe I've added one third-party app too many?!)

Cheers,
David.

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt if it is a broadcast change ...
    As the reason for starting at network symbol. Is to allow the recording of any health warning for the programme

But it is a bit complex to work out when interpreting the playout systems data feeds...

It also was to get a BBC ident on the front .. But then the programmes got the BBC blocks in the title sequence
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yeah I've had to odd BBC program start recording a little into the start on the HDR 1000s.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesdays Death In Paradise BBC1-HD chopped a tiny bit off the start of the programme.

Started at a close up of the Parrot Tours sign, same on HDR1000S and Foxsat-HDR so assume it must be a AR start issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Just done missed end off prog on it 2 and also does same on 4 and 5. It's infuriating and have reverted back to youview for time being. Very disappointed with freesat at min
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Been having the same problem since the last update.

Even with 5 mins padding at the start and 10 mins padding at the end, Ive lost count of the amount of shows that have been snipped at the end.

I have also noticed that with 5 mins padding at the start the actual programme itself does not start till at least 8-9 mins into the recording so maybe that is the cause of the snipping at the end of recordings.

I am thinking of the words pain and arse.

(and the default menu screen on boot up is the most annoying thing)
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm correct in saying that if you're using padding, then you are not using "accurate recording".

The problems with "accurate recording" on most non-BBC channels are the fault of the channels (a couple specifically don't give accurate recording data to Freesat yet do to other services), not the box.

To be clear: I'm seeing this on every single BBC recording during the last month-ish. Things were fine before Christmas. Humax Foxsat HDR. 2TB HDD. Maybe it's too full? (was at about 30%, now heading up past 75%.) I know too much recorded content slows the Media view down to a crawl, but can it affect recording start-up?

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    I think I'm correct in saying that if you're using padding, then you are not using "accurate recording".

The problems with "accurate recording" on most non-BBC channels are the fault of the channels (a couple specifically don't give accurate recording data to Freesat yet do to other services), not the box.

To be clear: I'm seeing this on every single BBC recording during the last month-ish. Things were fine before Christmas. Humax Foxsat HDR. 2TB HDD. Maybe it's too full? (was at about 30%, now heading up past 75%.) I know too much recorded content slows the Media view down to a crawl, but can it affect recording start-up?

Cheers,
    David.

Aye David, I never using "accurate recording", even when I had a Sky box I found it far from reliable. I realise it isn't the fault of the box but the data sent from the broadcasters.

That said, since the last update even with 5 mins padding before and 10 mins after, unless the programme has been delayed drastically in the scheduled there is no reason whatsoever the end of programmes should be missing with those padding settings.

Wednesday nights 'Line Of Duty' for instance, missed the ending (about 2 minutes) and as far as I know the programme started on time in the schedules.

It is a strange one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye David, I never using "accurate recording", even when I had a Sky box I found it far from reliable. I realise it isn't the fault of the box but the data sent from the broadcasters.

That said, since the last update even with 5 mins padding before and 10 mins after, unless the programme has been delayed drastically in the scheduled there is no reason whatsoever the end of programmes should be missing with those padding settings.

Wednesday nights 'Line Of Duty' for instance, missed the ending (about 2 minutes) and as far as I know the programme started on time in the schedules.

It is a strange one.

Set Accurate recording

HDR1000s Wed Line Of Duty started at BBC Original Drama screen finished just after credits finished in pre programme trailers.

Unfortunately the HDR1000S doesn't include start and end times and I did not record on the Foxsat-hdr or the HDR FOX T2
    Forum Member
    Set Accurate recording

HDR1000s Wed Line Of Duty started at BBC Original Drama screen finished just after credits finished in pre programme trailers.

Unfortunately the HDR1000S doesn't include start and end times and I did not record on the Foxsat-hdr or the HDR FOX T2

I had been using 'Auto' on the 1000s when I first got it! but it was unreliable, mainly missing the start of programmes. So I changed it to have some padding and never had a problem until the last month or so.

I'll switch it back to 'auto, for a while and see what happens.

I'm assuming Accurate Recording being mentioned is the 'Auto' funtion in the recording section of the settings, where you can set the padding times?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had been using 'Auto' on the 1000s when I first got it! but it was unreliable, mainly missing the start of programmes. So I changed it to have some padding and never had a problem until the last month or so.

I'll switch it back to 'auto, for a while and see what happens.

I'm assuming Accurate Recording being mentioned is the 'Auto' funtion in the recording section of the settings, where you can set the padding times?

Correct. Start time and end time need to be set to auto.
    Forum Member
    Thought so, thanks.

Actually to further my first post, usually Question Time over the last month or so has had the end chopped. But I noticed I had turned off the auto power up setting, for over night updating of EPG info. (long story but had a new TV and it was turning on with the overnight EPG update, solved that but forgot to turn the setting back on.

That was about a month ago as well...hmmmmm.

I turned it back on late Wednesday night and Question Time on Thursday night recorded fine, as have my other recordings. So maybe that was the problem.....maybe.

I guess I'll know the next episode of Line Of Duty airs as both previous episodes had the end chopped off.

Something to look forward to I suppose :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought so, thanks.

Actually to further my first post, usually Question Time over the last month or so has had the end chopped. But I noticed I had turned off the auto power up setting, for over night updating of EPG info. (long story but had a new TV and it was turning on with the overnight EPG update, solved that but forgot to turn the setting back on.

That was about a month ago as well...hmmmmm.

I turned it back on late Wednesday night and Question Time on Thursday night recorded fine, as have my other recordings. So maybe that was the problem.....maybe.

I guess I'll know the next episode of Line Of Duty airs as both previous episodes had the end chopped off.

Something to look forward to I suppose :D

Generally the main BBC ITV and Channel 4 programmes are pretty reliable now (I rarely record CH5, they don't have a clue how series/accurate CRID codes are supposed to work)
    Forum Member
    Not a clue how a Youview Box works, does it not use the accurate recording/ series recordings broadcast with the programme like any other Freeview+ box ?

Apart from the catch up data, it's hard to imagine it does not use the same data broadcast by the broadcasters to any DVB-T2 box.

Only the broadcaster has real time schedule change information.

Is there a difference in recording start/stop times for a specific broadcaster comparing say a HDR FOX T2 to a Youview box ?

I shall experiment and record 2 identical programmes 1 on freesat and 1 on youview and will see what difference there is I shall make sure nothing else is recording at the time, altho that could b tricky lol....
    Forum Member
    Generally the main BBC ITV and Channel 4 programmes are pretty reliable now (I rarely record CH5, they don't have a clue how series/accurate CRID codes are supposed to work)

It's mainly channel 4 and 5 I have problems with, hence using youview box for those channels
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markdyer72 wrote: »
    It's mainly channel 4 and 5 I have problems with, hence using youview box for those channels

Not a clue how a Youview Box works, does it not use the accurate recording/ series recordings broadcast with the programme like any other Freeview+ box ?

Apart from the catch up data, it's hard to imagine it does not use the same data broadcast by the broadcasters to any DVB-T2 box.

Only the broadcaster has real time schedule change information.

Is there a difference in recording start/stop times for a specific broadcaster comparing say a HDR FOX T2 to a Youview box ?
    Forum Member
    Well tested this morning, recorded Frazier at 9.30 am. Youview box got it all about 33 mins I all started recording just before started and ended after finished, so missed nothing, freetime box about 32 mins missed beginning but got the end, also recorded Troy on E4 other nite that started early so got beginning but recording ended early, that was on youview box, so basically ya canna rely on any of them so the best thing not to record anything just use catchup...
    Forum Member
    This is even worse golly eve wi 2 mins padding on end it still cut top gear short, grrrrrr, think I know where my freetime box is goin soon
    Forum Member
    This is even worse golly eve wi 2 mins padding on end it still cut top gear short, grrrrrr, think I know where my freetime box is goin soon

Never have any issues using accurate recording on my freetime box with top gear.
    If your using padding then you would of needed more than 2 mins, I've just checked my recording and from the BBC2 ident to the end of the closing credits had a recording length of 1:01:57. I pretty sure Top Gear didn't actually start until a little while after the scheduled start time anyway.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing Freesat really need to implement in their specifications (which I've previously suggested to them) is allowing Accurate Record and Padding to be configured simultaneously - so if AR is available then it's used, otherwise padding gets used instead.

It's poor design to fall back just to strict clock times if AR is configured but not available. The scenarios with back-to-back recordings shouldn't be any more complicated than what is seen now with AR either.

But regarding markdyer72's problem with Top Gear, if you've configured padding then 2 minutes is often insufficient for BBC channels - can't blame the box for that if you're not using AR.
    Forum Member
    The padding was only on the end, so am I right in thinking if any padding is set whether b at end, beginning or both the AR is not used.... I just assumed adding 2 mins to end would have done just that added 2 mins after AR time ended
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what happens when you set it only at one end (my guess would be though that AR remains enabled for whichever end its set for) but I am sure that Padding only acts on the clock time and ignores the AR signal so Top Gear will have finished recording at 21:02 regardless of when the programme actually ended.
    Forum Member
    The padding was only on the end, so am I right in thinking if any padding is set whether b at end, beginning or both the AR is not used.... I just assumed adding 2 mins to end would have done just that added 2 mins after AR time ended

I'm pretty sure to use accurate recording both start and end times need to be set to Auto.
    Adding padding to the end would of meant it would of started to record at scheduled broadcast time as per the EPG and finished 2 mins after scheduled broadcast time.
    Forum Member
    Well put back on auto and have been using it again, with youview as back up and, touch wood, so far so good not had a missed ending yet on any channel...
    Forum Member
    Hmmm strange any1 any idea why a programme on 4hd decided to imply record from half way. Was supposed to record hoarder next door at 8pm which was on series record but only recorded the last 38 minutes.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    To be clear: I'm seeing this on every single BBC recording during the last month-ish. Things were fine before Christmas. Humax Foxsat HDR.
    It was OK for a bit, but it's starting late again now. I expect the recording to start with the BBC One channel logo and announcer, but instead it's starting a few seconds into the actual programme.

On the few times I've noticed, it's also late at the end: the recording should end during the channel logo before the next programme, but now sometimes includes the very start of the next programme.

Cheers,
    David.