Urgent - Help Required Immediately!

Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, I'm at Uni. I'm in a student village and connected to the Internet via a wired connection. However, recently, quite a large number of my files have gone missing, and as I put this down to computer problems (random freezing - not important at this moment in time!) I didn't think anything about it. I've realised today that someone has left me a file on Notepad on my PC saying that my PC is open, and had deleted some files and had put them all in a file with an .rar extension, on my harddrive again.

I thought I had turned off sharing and all that like with my drives, but obviously I hadn't. I'm seriously concerned. I need someone to run through with me the basics of protecting my PC from this kinda thing - from my PC showing up on all other computers connected to the network. I thought I'd done it all but obviously not. My PC runs on Windows XP. Could anyone tell me as well what kind of software I need to open a RAR file, please?

And yes, I have asked this in the Networks forum, I just need a quick answer!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    winrar will open .rar files

http://www.rarlab.com

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe - direct link
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    Ok, I'm at Uni. I'm in a student village and connected to the Internet via a wired connection. However, recently, quite a large number of my files have gone missing, and as I put this down to computer problems (random freezing - not important at this moment in time!) I didn't think anything about it. I've realised today that someone has left me a file on Notepad on my PC saying that my PC is open, and had deleted some files and had put them all in a file with an .rar extension, on my harddrive again.

I thought I had turned off sharing and all that like with my drives, but obviously I hadn't. I'm seriously concerned. I need someone to run through with me the basics of protecting my PC from this kinda thing - from my PC showing up on all other computers connected to the network. I thought I'd done it all but obviously not. My PC runs on Windows XP. Could anyone tell me as well what kind of software I need to open a RAR file, please?

www.zonelabs.com

Download their free firewall. I take it you're connecting via wifi?
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dfgh wrote: »
    www.zonelabs.com

Download their free firewall. I take it you're connecting via wifi?

No, I'm connected by a physical wired connection :)
  • pseudonympseudonym Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »

firstly right click on your my documents and make sure they are private, the only docs you want to share should be in a folder in your shared folder documents, you know this folder as it has a little hand under it. Next and very important get yourself a FREE ANTI-Virus Program along with the firewall suggested earlier . Try AVAST, just put this into search engine and you'll get there. Hope this helps a little.