3G Iphone

Comments

• Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xgfx wrote: »
    i just got a text from o2 saying

I registered my interest with them, what this means Im not entirely sure though. As Im an n95 user, and only started my contract in march. I would love it if I could transfer over but it isn't too likely really.

just got the same txt

I was hopin gto get this before I flew to the states - but seems unlikely now - oh well prob wouldn't use the data over there anyway so no bigeee.

when is the software update avaialble? anyone know?
  • Options
    jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    just got the same txt

I was hopin gto get this before I flew to the states - but seems unlikely now - oh well prob wouldn't use the data over there anyway so no bigeee.

when is the software update avaialble? anyone know?

I expect July 11th.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xgfx wrote: »
    i just got a text from o2 saying

Apple iPhone 3G lands 11/07. We will text you shortly before with order details. As demand is very high, orders will be on a first come first served basis

I registered my interest with them, what this means Im not entirely sure though. As Im an n95 user, and only started my contract in march. I would love it if I could transfer over but it isn't too likely really.

I received the same text from O2 on my iphone this afternoon too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the same text this afternoon wich is why i called them up and i got told what i posted in my post earlier on today.
  • Options
    anderson24anderson24 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if 'Push Email' on the 3G iphone should work when out of a 3G or WI-FI area? Specifically, will it work when in an O2 'Standard' reception area as detailed on O2's coverage checker? I'm guessing that 'Standard' means Edge or normal GPRS.

thanks in advance. :)
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    anderson24 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 'Push Email' on the 3G iphone should work when out of a 3G or WI-FI area? Specifically, will it work when in an O2 'Standard' reception area as detailed on O2's coverage checker? I'm guessing that 'Standard' means Edge or normal GPRS.

I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue. 99% of Blackberrys are running on GPRS or EDGE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes and yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes and yes.

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply folks. Looks like I'll be queueing outside my local O2 store next week :D
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    jammers wrote: »
    I expect July 11th.

Yes, the theory is that Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot making it available on 1.0 hardware before launching 2.0 hardware since people might realise that the main reason they want 2.0 is for software reasons and then not bother to upgrade the hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Given that it will certainly work as well as it does now, which from my perception is as "push" as I need it to be (any more frequent is just plain intrusive), I don't really see the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for it to come out ^^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Given that it will certainly work as well as it does now, which from my perception is as "push" as I need it to be (any more frequent is just plain intrusive), I don't really see the problem.
    I didn't bother with iphone one because of certain features that were lacking, ie push email, (I know there are ways to do it) so it wasn't worth ditching my blackberry.

I should point out that I was referring to 'push email' from 'The Cloud' aka 'mobileme'. I was a bit worried that pushed emails icals etc from the cloud would only work when either connected to 3g or wi-fi.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good overview video of the iPhone 3G here - http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/
  • Options
    kosmos5457kosmos5457 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the same text earlier on today and its a shame it doesn't tell me anything that I don't already know about the iphone.

I phoned o2 today to see if I could get any further information from them. The guy I spoken to said that it shouldn't cost more than £100 for the 8gb model. I said that's based on a contract though and he said it should be the same with Pay & Go. I said, if that's the case then everyone would go for Pay & Go.

Oh and before anyone says that's a load of rubbish, I know it sounds like it too but I'm only telling you what I've been told. I think that the guy didn't really know all that much at all about the launch of the iphone, not that I'm blaming him in any way. He just said that it's hush hush at the moment. He said he got the price from Jobs but we all know that he's quoted the cost of the handset based on the someone taking out the cheapest available contract with the phone and what Jobs is saying is correct but he's avoided getting into details about what the networks are offering.

I'm aware about the leaked prices and questioned the guy about this and he said he had no idea of this.

It seems as though we know just as much as they do about the iphone and I'm sure the information will be on the website soon enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if you can watch Web Streams via the iphone i.e BBC iPlayer??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the_muff wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can watch Web Streams via the iphone i.e BBC iPlayer??

Yes you can, but only WiFi not via Edge, although that may or may not be true of 3G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to this Mr Jobs is touting an iPhone with a slide out keyboard.
    I have no idea how true this is.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would be a silly move, I can't see Apple making 2 different iPhones so they would lose sales, Mine included as I have no need for a tactile keyboard on a touch screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

bleugh - don't want a keyboard thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yak!

That would be like adding a starting handle to an Aston martin!
  • Options
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why, after all the dismissing he did of phones with a fixed keyboard, he'd even be thinking of introducing one. This has got to be false.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to this, the new iPhone will also be available from some of O2's business dealers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    ic1male wrote: »
    I don't get why, after all the dismissing he did of phones with a fixed keyboard, he'd even be thinking of introducing one. This has got to be false.

jobs says a lot of things such as no-one wants to watch video on ipods (followed a few months later by the introduction of the ipod video).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess he wants the iphone to be seen as a credible competitor to the blackberry - I know Nike HQ use them etc.

By having this it can be seen more businessy than consumer.

If there is a choice it might not be a bad thing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no doubt that they have designs that they've worked on and discarded, so if they decide they need to they could introduce one. It wouldn't be anytime soon. One of the main areas iPhone didn't compete in was software, in that it didn't offer push email and enterprise features, they're about to do that now, they'll see how that goes first.