Options

Did the BBC not show the end of the Murray vs Nadal Tennis?

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I was trying to do is to point out is that via PSB channel (as it happens) two major Sporting events on Saturday were available in full to the majority of the UK....
    ... and that the country whose team was playing could see the whole event almost by default.
    What would be better than this perhaps is a good question which should be debated ...
    It seems that some contributors to this thread don't want to engage in any discussion or want to consider other options, they only want to see posts that support their viewpoint. Proper constructive discussion is not pursued, valid questions are ignored, only negative comments seem welcome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    excel99 wrote: »
    Final Score could have gone on BBC2 until 5pm easily, and I guess the Rugby could have started at 5.05pm to allow for the classified results? There was no need to make it red button only

The Tennis was extremely high quality and should have stayed on BBC1 IMO. Final Score could have moved to BBC2 until 5.05 as I said then the Rugby shown as planned. And Walk on the Wild Side dropped to allow for a delayed BBC1 news

IMO the BBC made the wrong decision yesterday. Both sports could have been shown live, with no need for red button by simply dropping Walk on the Wild Side and moving Final Score to BBC2/finishing it earlier. Instead they obviously wanted to avoid altering the BBC1 schedule

Yes, very probably. With Strictly, which I presume is live, due to go out at 6pm, I can understand why they didn't want to disprupt that. Walk on the Wild Side as a prerecorded filler type programme was the most expendable part of the schedule.

For those not quite understanding why this dogs breakfast of a scheduling decision caused so much annoyance in Wales, just imagine if coverage of an England football match had been treated like that.

Still, what's done is done, but hopefully lessons will be learned for next time.

Think on you schedulers down in your cosy London bunker. Pull a stunt like that again and 10000 red-shirted Welsh rugby fans, all carrying flaming leeks, will descend upon you.... :);)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBC 2 ran the Tennis to its conclusion which meant that there was not build up to the Wales vs New Zeland match, it only appeared on the red button after the game had started so I watched S4C :

1. For the minute slience observed on behalf of the Dead Miners in New Zealand .
    2. For both the countries anthemns

3. For the Haka this time it was the Kan'apo haka .

None of which qualifies as "sport".
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I have a right to put forward an opinion, regardless of whether YOU like it or not.

Maybe you only want to see views that support your own. Sorry, forums are not like that.

I also note that you seem reluctant to enter into any constructive discussion though, and have ignored my earlier question. That says much.

Actually, I don't really give a monkeys about the scheduling with the rugby, so I don't really have an opinion either way - which is why I'm not answering your question love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    None of which qualifies as "sport".

But it's all part of the event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJRevitt wrote: »
    Actually, I don't really give a monkeys about the scheduling with the rugby, so I don't really have an opinion either way
    As you wish - post #16 seemed to suggest that you do have an opinion of sorts - perhaps I misunderstood.
    which is why I'm not answering your question.
    Strange that you therefore chose to post and have a go at my posted opinion then rather than simply ignoring it and moving on. Strange too that an opinion regarding a reasonable statement (that those without any HD capability would not have been able to watch any part of whichever sport was put on BBC HD) seems to be reliant upon you having an opinion on the scheduling of the rugby.

But I will leave it there.....
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i for one am glad that the tennis went to bbc2, because i am not very well off at the moment and do not have sky or a 'red' button or HD or s4c (whatever that is?).... so would have missed the last exciting part of the match,

Maybe i am a real rare exception but i only have the 5 main terrestrial channels....:cry:....

My thoughts on it are that maybe the bbc could have given more thought to the length that some tennis matches are!, they gave 2,1/2 hours to this match!, yes it was only a best of 3, but they could have given another half hour at least and just scheduled the programmes back a bit and brought them forward or filled in with something they had on hold if the match finished earlier than anticipated!... then they would not have had to go channel swapping!....
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you wish - post #16 seemed to suggest that you do have an opinion of sorts - perhaps I misunderstood.

Not really no. I'm neither Welsh nor that into rugby, but can understand why people were unhappy.
    But I will leave it there.

Yes, please do. :yawn:
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun! wrote: »
    What about the large number of people recording the rugby, or for the people who dont understand and dont want to the red button system- 'the luddites' people such as my grandparents who missed the first 10 minuites of the game because of this.

What about the large number of people recording the tennis, or for the (tennis fans) who dont understand and dont want to the red button system?

It works both ways...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make the pount again as it seems to have been missed - Wales has undergone DSO meaning that almost all of the viewing population have access to 301 (freeview - red button) and of course S4C which also covered the Welsh match. If the vast majority of people could see the match live in Wales in its entirety via the above options where does the problem lie? Is it too hard to use the remote control and change channel? Only problem is for those recording surely? As regards the pub and people watching wanting English commentary any pub where I've watched a match the noise of the clientel is too loud to hear the commentary!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To make the pount again as it seems to have been missed - Wales has undergone DSO meaning that almost all of the viewing population have access to 301 (freeview - red button) and of course S4C which also covered the Welsh match. If the vast majority of people could see the match live in Wales in its entirety via the above options where does the problem lie? Is it too hard to use the remote control and change channel? Only problem is for those recording surely? As regards the pub and people watching wanting English commentary any pub where I've watched a match the noise of the clientel is too loud to hear the commentary!

No using a remote wasn't the problem. As I said, I was busy getting some food ready just before the game, so wasn't aware of the red button option and I didn't know the game was on S4C, which despite the digital switchover, those of us without Sky still can't get in parts of South East Wales for geographical reasons.

I can recall at one point - when I popped back from the kitchen to check what was happening - an annoucement that the rugby was due to follow soon but there was no advice at that moment about the red button option.

Tennis (the Menace) should have stayed on BBC1 and then there wouldn't have been a problem.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can recall at one point - when I popped back from the kitchen to check what was happening - an annoucement that the rugby was due to follow soon but there was no advice at that moment about the red button option.

Assuming you have DTT/Freeview there was a yellow icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen on BBC2 saying "press red for live rugby" - it was there before the match started and could only be removed by pressing the green button.

All Wales matches covered by BBC Cymru/Wales are shown on S4C.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make the pount again as it seems to have been missed - Wales has undergone DSO meaning that almost all of the viewing population have access to 301 (freeview - red button) and of course S4C which also covered the Welsh match. If the vast majority of people could see the match live in Wales in its entirety via the above options where does the problem lie?
    Seems a fair summary to me.
    Only problem is for those recording surely?

301 tends to have EPG entries these days, so recording should be very much an option (as long as people realise that of course). Red Button schedules are also published on the BBC website/or blogs (sane caveat applies).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No using a remote wasn't the problem. As I said, I was busy getting some food ready just before the game, so wasn't aware of the red button option and I didn't know the game was on S4C, which despite the digital switchover, those of us without Sky still can't get in parts of South East Wales for geographical reasons.

Can you explain how you cannot receive S4C in SE Wales? Is there a multiplex that you cannot get?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you explain how you cannot receive S4C in SE Wales? Is there a multiplex that you cannot get?

It's to do with the geography. There are places in the Gwent Valleys, Newport and Monmouthshire which have always been able to get a better signal from the Mendip transmitters rather than Wenvoe.

The town of Cwmbran is a perfect example of this, there are a long line of hills to the west but a clear view across the Bristol Channel.
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Assuming you have DTT/Freeview there was a yellow icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen on BBC2 saying "press red for live rugby" - it was there before the match started and could only be removed by pressing the green button.

All Wales matches covered by BBC Cymru/Wales are shown on S4C.

I was busy and didn't see anything like that on my screen when I looked in.

IMO, it's a poor decision to switch an over-running live event from BBC1 to 2, where another live event was due to start soon after, when there was a pre-recorded filler programme on BBC1 which could have been rescheduled to make room for the tennis coverage.

I think they called that one wrong, but I realise and accept that not everyone is going to be in agreement, so I'll leave it there and say no more about it.

I'll just wait for the day a major England international football match gets the same treatment and watch the reaction with interest. :)
  • Options
    lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I was trying to do is to point out is that via PSB channel (as it happens) two major Sporting events on Saturday were available in full to the majority of the UK....
    ... and that the country whose team was playing could see the whole event almost by default.
    What would be better than this perhaps is a good question which should be debated ...

So the Welsh got to watch their rugby team, and the Scots got to watch their tennis player, but the English who pay the overwhelming part of the BBC costs got to watch... well what exactly?

Oh, having footed the bill for Wales and Scotland they have to pay extra for Sky to watch their team in action...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the BBC can't please everyone, but with such a scheduling clash, what was to be done?

I think they made the right call.

Also bearing in mind that a separate OB unit was at Cardiff for S4C (interestingly staffed and operated by BBC Wales people), as per the past three Cardiff fixtures.

It's quite possible that the BBC spotted this potential clash and flagged it, but neither the Tennis or Rugby authorities were willing to change times? Hardly the fault of the Broadcaster?

Perhaps if it had been an England football fixture, the Sporting authorities might have been more amenable in preventing a potential clash with the one Broadcaster that held the rights to both events?

in relation to the build up to the Rugby, I can fully empathise with some posters who saw this as part of the event. The minutes silence was particularly poignant, given the obvious connection between the age old mining community of Wales and the recent mining tragedy in New Zealand, and I can understand why a Welsh audience would want to see it.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a sports event begin on one channel and finish on another is a little silly. It's 2010, not 1978. Have the tennis on BBC 1, put Final Score on whenever it ends, with on-screen messages letting viewers know the footie results will be shown immediately after the tennis. Results can wait, live sport can't. Keep the rugby on BBC 2, uniterrupted, including the anthems, haka, and minute's silence. New Zealand at Wales is a massive match for rugby fans of any nationality, and I would imagine a very big deal in Wales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loz wrote: »
    Oh, having footed the bill for Wales and Scotland they have to pay extra for Sky to watch their team in action...
    If true for all such matches (which it isn't), that is not the fault of the BBC though is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Welsh got to watch their rugby team, and the Scots got to watch their tennis player, but the English who pay the overwhelming part of the BBC costs got to watch... well what exactly?

Incorrect - England vs S. Africa highlights was FTA on BBC 3. Also all England's 6 nations matches are live and FTA on BBC.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Having a sports event begin on one channel and finish on another is a little silly. It's 2010, not 1978. Have the tennis on BBC 1, put Final Score on whenever it ends, with on-screen messages letting viewers know the footie results will be shown immediately after the tennis. Results can wait, live sport can't. Keep the rugby on BBC 2, uniterrupted, including the anthems, haka, and minute's silence. New Zealand at Wales is a massive match for rugby fans of any nationality, and I would imagine a very big deal in Wales.

The perfect solution to this problem.
  • Options
    jewelleryqjewelleryq Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Why did they not switch BBC2 Wales to the rugby.

I would hazard a guess that the tennis was of interest to a minority of the viewers in Wales.

The Wales V All Blacks game was of interest to the majority of viewers in Wales.

Imagine the fall out if a England Football International had a similarly shambolic presentation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jewelleryq wrote: »
    Why did they not switch BBC2 Wales to the rugby.

I would hazard a guess that the tennis was of interest to a minority of the viewers in Wales.

The Wales V All Blacks game was of interest to the majority of viewers in Wales.

Imagine the fall out if a England Football International had a similarly shambolic presentation.

As stated earlier BBC probably didn't do this due to vast majority of viewers in Wales being able to switch to either S4C or 301 (freeview) due to DSO having taken place, My guess is that if DSO hadn't taken place the rugby would have remained on BBC2 Wales (at least on analogue).
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blame the RFU for selling out to the Sky money. Of course as well there was extensive highlights of the England South Africa game on BBC TV that evening.

For once I thought the BBC messed in this regard, the tennis should have stayed on BBC1 until conclusion, perhaps putting Final Score on BBC2.
  • Options
    lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If true for all such matches (which it isn't), that is not the fault of the BBC though is it?

Yes it is. They didn't get the Wales match or the Tennis for free did they?

The BBC simply decided not to spend money providing for the majority of its licence payers.

On a VFM basis, if they cannot afford to buy the rights for 85% of its viewers, how come pro rata they can afford to buy them for the remainder?