Can a GP receptionist tell me my blood group

13»

Comments

• EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Why would you not, if you are able to?

I had a panic attack when getting blood taken at the hospital last December, took the nurse ages to fine a vein, put the needing in my forearm and jiggled it which hurt

So no, giving blood is not something I'll be doing
    Am I right to say that you'll be calling your doctor's on Monday to find out the answer from the person who can give the correct answer in your case?

No I won't be calling Monday as they are shut, I'll call Tuesday

Or I'll buy the kit on amazon
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a panic attack when getting blood taken at the hospital last December, took the nurse ages to fine a vein, put the needing in my forearm and jiggled it which hurt

So no, giving blood is not something I'll be doing

No I won't be calling Monday as they are shut, I'll call Tuesday

Or I'll buy the kit on amazon

Nurses can never find my veins, I was told to ask for the special ultra sound machine to find them but often its either not working or the person that operates it is not around. Ive had blood taken out of my hand, ankle and wrist before because my veins are so non compliant.
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Nurses can never find my veins, I was told to ask for the special ultra sound machine to find them but often its either not working or the person that operates it is not around. Ive had blood taken out of my hand, ankle and wrist before because my veins are so non compliant.

I wouldn't say never, they have no problem finding them on my OH lol

I've got tiny veins according to that nurse
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know my blood group through donating but I had a lab exercise once involving finding it out for myself aswell. That was pretty cool
    ah, the doppler?
    I wouldn't say never, they have no problem finding them on my OH lol

I've got tiny veins according to that nurse

you know what they say about peoplewith tiny veins..
    Forum Member
    you know what they say about peoplewith tiny veins..

I don't as it happens :blush:
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have two tiny white scars in my left elbow and a tiny one in top of my left hand, no thanks to a junior doctor.

I could see a nurse behind him getting twitchier when he was making a blood scene out of my arm. She finally cracked and asked if he would like her to take over. He refused while lightly slapping the elbow area repeatedly. After a couple more attempts, he moved to my hand.

When he made the third attempt, I couldn't handle the pain any more, so I asked for the nurse to take over. He didn't look happy, but please, look at my arm. In midst of blood dots, there were bruises forming.

Because of him, I associate the name Felix with veins and scars. He looked about fifteen, too. :D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know my blood group through donating but I had a lab exercise once involving finding it out for myself aswell. That was pretty cool

We tested our own in biology when I was at school.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if you get the wrong blood group? Do you shrivel up like a vampire in the sun?
  • DoubleOrchidDoubleOrchid Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    What happens if you get the wrong blood group? Do you shrivel up like a vampire in the sun?

You can suffer allergic reaction if you are given the wrong blood type. A couple of years ago I received 6 units of blood in a transfusion (thank you to all donors, you saved my life!) and 2 nurses had to be there to change each bag of blood, confirming all of the details on the bag and my name / DOB etc. they also stayed with me for the first 5 minutes or so of each bag to check I didn't have a reaction.

But now you mention it CravenHaven, I have developed a vit D deficiency so maybe I am shrivelling up in the sun.....?
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ever found mine out during pregnancy.