Advice on Becoming a Footballer Please!

clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,885
Forum Member
✭✭
hi guys, I'm 17 years old and really want to become a footballer, I believe in myself and my ability to become a footballer, premier league or level 10, £100,000 or for free, I just love football and want to be a footballer. The advice i'm asking for is how to get into a team or just to get a trial, I have 2 local clubs, one in the county leagues and one in the blue square premier, I know I might've left it a bit late, 17 and in no team but if i'm good enough, it shouldn't matter about my age, I wouldn't know the first thing to do to try and get a trial so if anyone themselves have been in the same situation, please let me know how to get a trial, thanks :)

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about contacting some lower leagues clubs in your area ?
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    how about contacting some lower leagues clubs in your area ?

The team that I stated first are a 5 minute walk away from where I live, they are in the 10th level of english football and someone I know used to play for them, also, when you say contact them, maybe by email?
  • SidechainSidechain Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    clarky323 wrote: »
    The team that I stated first are a 5 minute walk away from where I live, they are in the 10th level of english football and someone I know used to play for them, also, when you say contact them, maybe by email?

Is there any academies you can sign up to? I know here in Kent Gillingham and Charlton train up a lot of youngsters in their teens. Maybe if you rung them or emailed them about some information on that? also keep your eyes open for lower league clubs either local or local'ish where you may have a chance to show your talents off.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience you don't contact the clubs or their academies, they scout you and if you''re talented you would almost certainly have been scouted by the age of 17.
    Sorry to be blunt but it's the harsh reality and I do have experience of this as my younger son was at various academies until the age of 12.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put your skills on film then post on YouTube.......it worked for Owen Hargreaves.......you just never know what kind of response you might get.....big club, little club, scout, who knows?
  • SidechainSidechain Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    The Mc wrote: »
    Put your skills on film then post on YouTube.......it worked for Owen Hargreaves.......you just never know what kind of response you might get.....big club, little club, scout, who knows?

Thats some good advice. With the power of the internet and youtube in general perhaps this could be another way of getting noticed.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to be playing regularly even if it's Sunday league.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're already too old to start.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about going and visiting in person when they are doing a training session. Explain your situation and ask who you need to speak to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are several sites out there with vacancies for players at various sports.....quite a few football teams here advertising for players.......

http://www.playerwanted.co.uk/

And get signed up on this site......

http://www.ukfootballfinder.co.uk/
  • topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were any good, you would already have been snapped up.

Unless of course, you have been living in a cave for the last 17 years.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

Hargreaves had already signed for Bayern by the time he was 16. Plus he didn't use youtube.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some top league players who didn't start until their 20s so it's not impossible.

Just sign up to a local club and take it from there. You will have to be realistic about what level you start off at - probably a pub team or something.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my mates started out playing for a local kids team. He got scouted by a lot of teams, told to change his position (from forward to defence - there's more demand for a defender, as a striker you have to be THE best) He got scouted by a Premiership Football team, went into their academy and is now a professional footballer earning too much. He lives and breathes football - if there's a game on he'll watch it, analyse it, look at how their players are playing, positioning.

A neighbour of mine is just starting out, again he joined a local football team. Clubs send out talent scouts to look at players - they get 'invited' to do a trial game at their training ground. Clubs then make their selection. He plays for a lower league club - he's 17, but as I say he's been playing since he could run. He's starting to break into the reserve team, but he's got until May to earn his contract - in a team of around 20 academy players, the club will take 4 or 5 and ditch the rest - it's that harsh.

One thing both commented on is that on top of the training, they need to go to the gym a lot to bulk up and maximise their fitness/strengthen their muscles.
  • dark6018dark6018 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    hi guys, I'm 17 years old and really want to become a footballer, I believe in myself and my ability to become a footballer, premier league or level 10, £100,000 or for free, I just love football and want to be a footballer. The advice i'm asking for is how to get into a team or just to get a trial, I have 2 local clubs, one in the county leagues and one in the blue square premier, I know I might've left it a bit late, 17 and in no team but if i'm good enough, it shouldn't matter about my age, I wouldn't know the first thing to do to try and get a trial so if anyone themselves have been in the same situation, please let me know how to get a trial, thanks :)

If you haven't already been scouted aready you are just not good enough, aspire to be something else you're never gping to make it as a footballer.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't mean to be harsh OP, but if you were good enough, you'd have been snapped up by now. Time to get into the real world I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hargreaves had already signed for Bayern by the time he was 16. Plus he didn't use youtube.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011416/YouTube-series-shows-Owen-Hargreaves-fighting-fit.html

Owen Hargreaves used You-tube to put his talents on display again for the whole world to see that he was fit again after his long lay-off at Manchester United after injury. This was to attract other clubs.....he is now with Manchester City....

Nowhere did I say Owen got snapped up as a result of You-Tube when he was a teenager.....
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dark6018 wrote: »
    If you haven't already been scouted aready you are just not good enough, aspire to be something else you're never gping to make it as a footballer.

I agree; in the summer I went to a local football competition to see my grandson play. (I was expecting a couple of teams; instead it was a huge competition, played out over 2 or three days. At Horsley, if anyone knows it).

One of the players on his team (the under 8s) was noticeably better than the others. All over the pitch, but unlike the others, in the right places. Willing to tackle other players. Definitely the best player in the team.

Now, she's the kind of player I'd expect to be approached before she's 10.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    One of my mates started out playing for a local kids team. He got scouted by a lot of teams, told to change his position (from forward to defence - there's more demand for a defender, as a striker you have to be THE best) He got scouted by a Premiership Football team, went into their academy and is now a professional footballer earning too much. He lives and breathes football - if there's a game on he'll watch it, analyse it, look at how their players are playing, positioning.

OP I think to get anywhere you need to "Live and breathe" football. Many young lads your age with potential start going out and let the drink and girls get in the way. Nothing stopping you having fun, but if you want to be a top player you have to understand you can not have both.

How often do you play football? A lot of professionals play constantly - Beckham (apparently) was never seen without a football and he kicked about every spare minute of the day. Thats why he ended up Englands captain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topp wrote: »
    If you were any good, you would already have been snapped up.

Unless of course, you have been living in a cave for the last 17 years.

I pretty much have :D I haven't been snapped up because no one (apart from my mates) have seen me play! i've never played for a team, I regret that but I feel that if i'm good enough, it doesn't matter what age I start at, there are hundreds of teams in the country so i've got a pretty good chance I would say!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I think to get anywhere you need to "Live and breathe" football. Many young lads your age with potential start going out and let the drink and girls get in the way. Nothing stopping you having fun, but if you want to be a top player you have to understand you can not have both.

How often do you play football? A lot of professionals play constantly - Beckham (apparently) was never seen without a football and he kicked about every spare minute of the day. Thats why he ended up Englands captain.

I do live and breath football, i'm always playing (even if its just kick ups in the back garden), when i'm not playing i'm watching, the reason I haven't joined a team yet is cause in the last year I have been training to become fit enough to be a footballer and I now feel like i'm ready, Going back to your comment, If there is an area I think i'm not good enough at I will practice hard, for example, I have always played football since about the age of 5, I could never hit the ball with my left foot but I would always practice with it, now its probably as good (if not better!) than my right foot, this is important to me and I really want to succeed.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get outside and get down to as many of your local clubs as possible and see if you can join in. Most small clubs will allow any newbie to join in a training session and take it from there, I'm involved with a club in the Lancashire FA and we're always getting potential new players down.
    ...there are hundreds of teams in the country so i've got a pretty good chance I would say!

Try not to be so naive, though! Hundreds of clubs, yes, but thousands of players not good enough to play in any of them and wondering what to do next - and these are players who have been through academies etc and are then dropped at 17+!
    We have an ex-pro with us and he only gets to play in the 4th team due to training issues he also had whilst being payed to play! Now he pays £5 a match to play with all the other guys...

Also, read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-Foot-Forward-Journeyman-Footballer/dp/0747251827/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320669552&sr=8-1 It'll give you a good idea of what life is really like being a footballer - the majority of them aren't in the Prem, after all...

Remember, though, even Stuart Pearce wasn't picked up until he was 21... Admittedly, he'd been dropped by QPR at about 17, I think, but kept playing in the Sunday leagues.
    Forum Member
    There are some top league players who didn't start until their 20s so it's not impossible.

Who like?
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011416/YouTube-series-shows-Owen-Hargreaves-fighting-fit.html

Owen Hargreaves used You-tube to put his talents on display again for the whole world to see that he was fit again after his long lay-off at Manchester United after injury. This was to attract other clubs.....he is now with Manchester City....

Nowhere did I say Owen got snapped up as a result of You-Tube when he was a teenager.....

Apologies.

Although I don't see how what world renowned footballer Owen Hargreaves did is of any help to a 17yr old.
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you live and breath football then why have you never been on a team? Most people if they're any good seem to start in their school football team, then if they're any good go on from there. It sounds a bit like you have delusions of grandeur to me. :(