Can Ant+Dec do nothing wrong?

Comments

• AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    I only watch I'm a celeb for them!:o

I think a lot of people are with you there! I'd quite happily watch episodes of I'm a Celeb with all the jungle 'celeb' stuff edited out so that it only consisted of Ant and Dec's links.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people are with you there! I'd quite happily watch episodes of I'm a Celeb with all the jungle 'celeb' stuff edited out so that it only consisted of Ant and Dec's links.

ugh i couldnt even watch im a celeb for them. sorry if that makes me a bad fan but i just cant deal with it :o didnt watch red or black either.
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm known for doing something else in the background when the jungle bits are on and paying attention when Ant and Dec are on. It's the same with Britains Got Talent. I can be bored of the auditions but will watch for them.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are two of the best presenters on TV now. Pity some of their programs are not.
  • ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their pop career wasn't very big hence the jokes with the Big Reunion bands and the intro of 'one week at #9' and they had a laddish chat show on channel 4 in the 90's which wasn't recieved well.

However as family entertainment presenters they've found their niche and what they're truly best at. They were also good in Biker Grove.

14 top 20 hits in 4 years and 3 albums isn't too bad! (God know how though!) :p
    (Also a number 3 'hit' with 'On The Ball!)
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I have ... and i thought it was a harmless bit of fun.

Perhaps so, but it certainly wasn't harmless for it's financiers given it cost over £5 mil to make and barely grossed £2m
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they can't do anything wrong as far as I'm concerned.

I'm biased as they are local to me but imo the reason that they are so well liked is because they are down to earth Geordies and very genuine.

Dec went to school with my husband.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Even as producers they remained untouched by the phone scandal.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the Big Reunion hasbeens hate Ant & Dec right now! They take the piss by doing LGRTR and get to number one in the process while the likes of Atomic Shitten and the other lot that nobody remembers are busting a gut to become relevant again.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Their Saturday Night Takeaway show is a pile of rubbish. You can tell they spend all week rehearsing their performance down to every minor detail. it's all scripted. Lowest common denominator telly. And what;'s with that super computer nonsense?! And The vegas games look they were designed by a 5 year old. The pranks are unoriginal. It seems to rely on big names to sell - the same old tired faces. How creative!
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Their Saturday Night Takeaway show is a pile of rubbish. You can tell they spend all week rehearsing their performance down to every minor detail. it's all scripted. Lowest common denominator telly. And what;'s with that super computer nonsense?! And The vegas games look they were designed by a 5 year old. The pranks are unoriginal. It seems to rely on big names to sell - the same old tired faces. How creative!

It's not rubbish though. It's good old fashioned family entertainment of the kind that's been missing from British Televion for a long time. They effectively rip off Noel's House Party and countless other Saturday night shows from years past but they make no bones about it either. It probably would be absolute crap if anyone else hosted it, but they make the show as they often do. The BBC tried to do something similar with John Barrowman hosting and it was total shite.

And I am another person who only watches Iam a Celeb for them. I'd go as far to say they are the reason its not gone stale like so any similar show have.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    It's not rubbish though. It's good old fashioned family entertainment of the kind that's been missing from British Televion for a long time. They effectively rip off Noel's House Party and countless other Saturday night shows from years past but they make no bones about it either. It probably would be absolute crap if anyone else hosted it, but they make the show as they often do. The BBC tried to do something similar with John Barrowman hosting and it was total shite.

And I am another person who only watches Iam a Celeb for them. I'd go as far to say they are the reason its not gone stale like so any similar show have.

totally agree was watching it on Saturday night with my mum (she doesn't like them much and was having a dig). I said yep say what you like but this is brilliant, classic Saturday night TV as it should be. They were also lovely on Jonathan Ross show recently, I love the fact that Dec is always round at Ants for his tea:D
    Nice, genuine lads IMO
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't watch them, just drives me nuts but I must give them credit for being such a success since they were kids. They are Unique, plain and simple.....
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how nice Ant and Dec are, there'll always be some who'll dislike them. No one is liked by everybody.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to the OP's question...

Yes!

I think Red or Black springs to mind very quickly. And also Saturday Night Takeaway is a real dogs dinner of a show. They can do much better.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member

Really? I think it's cheesey. uninspired and dull. And what's with the audience clapping in the air - how pathetic it looks!
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Ant and Dec.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It works because of them. The undercover and out of my ear is brilliant TV.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    They have a natural chemistry which is infectious.

And after watching their 'Let's Get Ready To Rumble' performance on You Tube - strange to see how everyone has gone mad over it - I've seen them do it before on SMTV Live - but I then spent a very happy hour on Saturday night watching old clips of Wonkey Donkey from SMTV Live and I laughed a lot at Dec losing his temper with the kids ringing in :D
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    It works because of them. The undercover and out of my ear is brilliant TV.

I know it's really cheesy but I love it and just seems like innocent fun. I also find little Ant & Dec very funny, they get a hard time on the TV forum but really make me laugh
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a real friendship where they can say what they want to each other, insult each other and still laugh it off. There is nothing false about them and their chemistry is real. Its a genuine bromance, nothing fake about it and it is kind of nice.
    It makes such a change from the false 'chemistry' we see with so many other presenters, where they pretend to find each other funny etc. and it just looks like they try too hard...yes Philip and Holly, I am talking about you.
  • BloodRayneBloodRayne Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Such amazing sports on Celebrity Juice as well - that remains my favourite ever episode.

Mine aswell :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I'm another one who thinks their genuine chemistry and friendship helps them a lot. I think even the projects that weren't so successful probably still did better due to their involvement than they would have done if other people had been in their place.

Alien Autopsy was another thing that didn't do too well wasn't it?

I think the thing with them is they are bigger than any show they do so they get away with a flop here or there while other presenters and acts might not be so easily forgiven.

Now as long as they stay away from crime and making offensive comments a la Bill Roache, hopefully they'll be around for a good while!
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Imo it takes a special talent to transform what are in some respects below average ideas for shows to be must watch shows only due to the presence of the presenters. Even though they are not really in the same genre, I do actually rate them as their Morecambe and Wise of their era (in fact, a few of their 'sketches' in this current series of SNT have shamelessly aped some of M&Ws best ever sketches). They are, quite simply, absolutely brilliant at what they do. The fact that they also seem so 'real' and so not 'up themselves' is merely an added bonus.
  • abbieuniqueabbieunique Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    I hate them with a passion. I know it's an unnecessary feeling towards them, but I do.

Half because of them themselves (bland, talentless, unfunny) and half because of just how loved they are. I just don't get it. I don't get what separates them from the other cream of the crap like Rick Edwards or Cat Deeley. Is it because they've been around for quite some time? Is it a lesson in that if you try something for so long, you'll eventually succeed? No matter how bland and crap you are at it? They're radio presenters on telly.

I don't hate them, but I find it interesting that they have managed to survive at the top for so long! They must do some ass licking somewhere at the top.. They were very ambitious to get where they have, its not just a case of being down to earth nice lads. I also do not think they are that nice in real life, they must have an edge they just don't show it!