Options

I'm considering stopping watching Doctor Who.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm expecting a vitriolic character assassination to follow this post, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way.

Half a dozen new episodes once every 6-8 months simply isn't enough to hold my attention; especially when the quality of the show has dipped so dramatically over the last two series.

Matt Smith's departure is also a factor. His mesmerising, energetic performance has actually been the only reason I've continued to tune in after the Pond's incredibly dismal, disappointing nonsensicasl departure. With him gone, the show offers me nothing anymore.

There are no arcs to follow. No sooner does Moffat begin one - he forgets about it, leaving everyone hanging for a resolution that never comes.

No disrespect to Jenna Coleman. She's doing the best she can with a sloppy one dimensional character, but she's just not a strong enough hook. And I honestly don't care about Peter 'The Supposed Acting Messiah' Capaldi one way or other.

The 'wall-to-wall' Who Anniversary simply hadn't materialised. They aren't even botherting to promote the 50th Special.

The entire show has just deflated before my eyes. If the BBC can't bother with it... Why should I?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I gasped just by looking at the title!

But I kind of agree with you - the last few episodes have been weak minus 'Name of the Doctor' but that won't stop me from watching.

Also, I'm upset that Matt is leaving, but when Capaldi takes his place, I have no doubt that he will be amazing. You should at least wait and give him a chance.

Clara is a sloppy one dimensional character??? We've learnt about her family, her different timelines, who she really is and why there are multiple Claras - how much deeper into character development do you want to go???
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Personally, I can't wait to see what Capaldi can bring to the role. Matt, and David before him, have been very physical in their portrayals, ie. lots of running around and exertions, that Capaldi presumably won't be up for. I think we're in for a very different Doctor, and probably the likes of which we won't have seen since the original series, and even then, earlier in the original series than than later.

In terms of Moffat - I loved his episodes before he was running the show, but the season arcs in recent years have underwhelmed me to be honest.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to watch it then don't watch it. People stop watching tv programmes all the time. So what? Are you expecting people to try convince you otherwise?
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First those missing episodes turn up and now this! There's only so much major news I can take in one week. If we all write to the BBC and ask them to make a better programme for you, will you reconsider? It's terribly important to us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the last few episodes have been weak minus 'Name of the Doctor' but that won't stop me from watching.

I agree. I didn't like Series 7 at all. I also thought Series 6 was rather weak too, but I still refuse to stop watching. I could never do that. I can not wait for Capaldi's Doctor though!
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying the BBC can't be bothered with the show is totally wrong. They had to make cuts across the board, including their flagship shows like Doctor Who and Eastenders, which is one of the main reasons we've seen an altered schedule and the each episode's budget reduced.

I agree with you on Moffat's failings though...
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK then - stop watching.
    Why should this decision bother anyone else at all?
    I'm not sure what you expected by creating this thread?
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shboobie comes across like a very spoilt child.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    The entire show has just deflated before my eyes. If the BBC can't bother with it... Why should I?
    Thanks for letting us know. Don't know what I am going to be able to do with this information though. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half a dozen new episodes once every 6-8 months simply isn't enough to hold my attention

I don't think series 7 was bad, but this is true. After only two specials we'll have to wait whole year until the new season starts. Also, season 7 was stretched to nearly three years.

Season 7 started 25 December 2011, and series 8 in fall 2014. :mad:

RTD wasn't as good writer as Moffat is, but at least we had 14 episodes each year.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    From the opening post it seems like you're not enjoying Doctor Who much when it is on so it's probably better for you that they've hardly made any of it this year :)
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clara is a sloppy one dimensional character??? We've learnt about her family, her different timelines, who she really is and why there are multiple Claras - how much deeper into character development do you want to go???

I agree that we know a lot about her, but that doesn't mean she's well rounded. As a character I do find that she's very one dimensional. From the moment modern Clara stepped into the TARDIS, she doesn't seem phased by anything and just seems to have a generally carefree confident attitude no matter what happens. Compare this to Rose or Donna where you genuinely felt they were witnessing amazing things and slowly growing a people as they encountered new things.

At the same time, I don't think the mystery surrounding Clara has helped her as the character hasn't been able to develop gradually. Hopefully this will change next series.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I've learnt that being a Doctor Who fan is all about peaks and troughs. I loved classic Who - some periods more so than others - and I loved new Who when it returned.

The Tennant/Tate season was the height of success for me. Since then, its not been so good for me and I've struggled a lot with the Smith/Moffat years.

And the endless changes in broadcast dates/'mid-season breaks' have made it even less enjoyable.

But I've come to the conclusion that poor Who (or - to be fair - Who that's not quite my cup of tea) is still better than no Who.

So stick with it, Sh'boobie. You'll be pleased that you did x
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm expecting a vitriolic character assassination to follow this post, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way.

Half a dozen new episodes once every 6-8 months simply isn't enough to hold my attention; especially when the quality of the show has dipped so dramatically over the last two series.

Matt Smith's departure is also a factor. His mesmerising, energetic performance has actually been the only reason I've continued to tune in after the Pond's incredibly dismal, disappointing nonsensicasl departure. With him gone, the show offers me nothing anymore.

There are no arcs to follow. No sooner does Moffat begin one - he forgets about it, leaving everyone hanging for a resolution that never comes.

No disrespect to Jenna Coleman. She's doing the best she can with a sloppy one dimensional character, but she's just not a strong enough hook. And I honestly don't care about Peter 'The Supposed Acting Messiah' Capaldi one way or other.

The 'wall-to-wall' Who Anniversary simply hadn't materialised. They aren't even botherting to promote the 50th Special.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Close the door on your way out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    No this is serious guys if Sh'boobie isn't going to watch any more why would the BBC even bother making it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think I know what's happened, just reading between the lines.

Boobie, you've met a boy haven't you? Don't worry, the Doctor will still be there for you when you're ready to come back.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay. Bye!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    fallucas wrote: »
    No this is serious guys if Sh'boobie isn't going to watch any more why would the BBC even bother making it.
    I know. For the first time, I'm really worried.
  • Options
    Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I'm expecting a vitriolic character assassination to follow this post...

I can think of a million and one better ways of spending my time than indulging in any such nonsense. Like watching all of series 5, 6 and 7 again.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really been a DW fan , but I've always been incredibly envious of the amount of stuff DW fans get , I mean the dvds are amazing , the amount of extras and the sheer quality of them , the detail and research etc.

as for the 50th - there's loads coming up , we've just had 9 episodes found which is more than they found in the last 10 years isn't it ? and more to come .

as a Gerry anderson fan I'm constantly disappointed with the DVDs extras , bare bones , and those shows are just classics ! Where's the tribute shows to Anderson ? A true giant of british tv .

you've got the resolution of Matt Smth's storyline coming up , Capaldi taking over , Christmas specia , about 12 eps every year with great production values , endless RT covers .,...

etc.

you Who fans , what are you like ? never satisfied ! :p
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP. Just stop watching if you want and don't make a fuss about it. Do you want us to change your mind or something, or are you just trying to find a load of like-minded people? If your aim was the former, you've succeeded. If that the latter, you've failed.

Jeez, no one can hate DW like DW fans.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP. Just stop watching if you want and don't make a fuss about it. Do you want us to change your mind or something, or are you just trying to find a load of like-minded people? If your aim was the former, you've succeeded. If that the latter, you've failed.

Jeez, no one can hate DW like DW fans.

It's better this way, when the alternative is people like MIchael Grade hating the show.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    It's better this way, when the alternative is people like MIchael Grade hating the show.

oh c'mon , he did it a favor , it needed killing , it was terminally ill .

or should I not have said that ? :o
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh c'mon , he did it a favor , it needed killing , it was terminally ill .

or should I not have said that ? :o

Just using him as an example. :p Imagine the same happening today when the show is perfectly healthy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These days I don't see that it matters when/how you watch Dr Who.

The OP has the time to see if the 12th gets any buzz, and make a decision from there.

I didn't like 9 at all (even watching it back CE seems not have really got to grips with it) but I've been delighted by 10 and 11.

I'm hoping 12 will be very good.

I do agree about the scheduling, it all seems a bit chaotic.