Options

Favourite Families in WHO!

Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
Forum Member
OK, I'm a classic Who fan....but nothing was involved with families apart from Dr 1 and his grand-daughter, Tegan and her aunt, and Uncle in that village with Polly James, and Peri and her step-father!
But in the New series (if we can call it new?), the family concept came into being!

I quite liked Rose & family....Jackie was brilliant! I wish she had become a more regular companion in the Tardis! Her Dad was nice too. 8/10

Martha's family were a bit iffy for my liking - even before they got taken by The Master!
Not likeable at all - and mother was a cow! 3/10

Donna's family - Sylvia, such a nag - but lovable at the same time. Wilf was the most lovable grand-dad ever! 9/10

The Ponds/Williams: Debatable this one! Amy got on my wick! Rory was OK untill he started dying every other week! And don't mention bloody River/Melody to me!!
Sorry but - 2/10

Clara: Not met family properly yet........let's wait and see!

Anyone agree or disagree with me? Please feel free to comment! :)

Comments

• Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Rorys' dad and Stormagedden and parents :)

I agree about Marthas' family, pretty poor. Wilf was excellent, never liked Rose' dad. :p
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I'm a classic Who fan....but nothing was involved with families apart from Dr 1 and his grand-daughter, Tegan and her aunt, and Uncle in that village with Polly James, and Peri and her step-father!
    But in the New series (if we can call it new?), the family concept came into being!

I quite liked Rose & family....Jackie was brilliant! I wish she had become a more regular companion in the Tardis! Her Dad was nice too. 8/10

Martha's family were a bit iffy for my liking - even before they got taken by The Master!

Donna's family - Sylvia, such a nag - but lovable at the same time. Wilf was the most lovable grand-dad ever! 9/10

The Ponds/Williams: Debatable this one! Amy got on my wick! Rory was OK untill he started dying every other week! And don't mention bloody River/Melody to me!!
    Sorry but - 2/10

It was actually her Grandfather she saw in The Awakening and you forgot her other relative from Arc Of Infinity, her cousin Colin. I think Tegan was quite unique in that we saw several members of her family.

And in a small way Nyssa had a family as well with her father Tremas and Step-Mother in Kassia.

:)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can people please stop perpetuating the nonsense about 'Rory dying all the time'. It simply isn't true and seems to have become this thing that people say despite it being totally false.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can people please stop perpetuating the nonsense about 'Rory dying all the time'. It simply isn't true and seems to have become this thing that people say despite it being totally false.

I do understand the comment Salad but it was a bit of a running joke with Rory and just became irritating because it cheapened the whole impact having a companion actually die and how final it should be ( Thinking Adric here and Katarina here)

From memory Rory was seen to 'die' in Amys Choice and Day of the moon and Angels take Manhatten
    He almost died in the Curse / Black Spot
    He actually died in the Hungry Earth story but came back without explanation as an Auton.
    Its over-using the concept for effect and not very good at that. Its not unique though.
    They did it in the classic series with Peri where she had a really effective and chilling 'death' and spoiled it by then saying she was alive and probably having loud bouncing children with Ycarnos. !
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite was the slitheen family.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Family Of Blood.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When characters in the show actually comment on the Meme it's hardly totally false is it?
    The Silence: Rory Williams, the man who dies and dies again. Die one last time and know she will never come back for you.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lethbridge-Stewarts.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Lethbridge-Stewarts.

The whole extended UNIT "family" as well
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has to be the Mott/Nobles for me. Really enjoyed the Amy/Rory/River/Doctor weird extended family set up, but.....Donna. Tate. Wilf. Cribbins. That is all.

(Just an excuse to spell Bernard's name right after described him as a Legend then proceeded to get it wrong in another thread, really.)
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I was always very fond of Peri's stepfather Howard. I can't think why :)

I would love the 12th Doctor to drop in to visit Peri and King Ycarnos.

I loved Donna's family but didn't feel we got to know Martha's particularly well and Amy's family were a bit of a missed opportunity for me.

I think Rose's family remain my favourite, though. Her mum in particular was just superb and I love the journey Rose and her entire family went through during the first four seasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah - I forgot about Rory's Dad. He was a fun character!
    My faves are still the Noble/Mott family up to now.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    When characters in the show actually comment on the Meme it's hardly totally false is it?
    The Silence: Rory Williams, the man who dies and dies again. Die one last time and know she will never come back for you

Your right, and in the angels take manhattan even rory himself mocks his repeated deaths twice in one scene.
    Amy: What are you doing? Rory, what are you doing? Rory, stop it. You'll die.
    Rory: Yeah, twice. In the same building on the same night. Who else could do that.
    Amy: You think you'll just come back to life.
    Rory: When don't I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's admit it - Rory dying all the time became a joke!! It's like that cartoon character (forgottten the name) that got killed off every week!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not false, but it's so very overstated.

He dies as often as Amy in series 5. They both die in Amy's Choice, Rory dies at the cliffhanger to Cold Blood, Amy dies at the cliffhanger to The Pandorica Opens. (The Doctor apparently dies halfway through The Big Bang, too, so that's all three stars level pegging.)

He "dies" in Day of the Moon, but not until after the Doctor died in The Impossible Astronaut, and Amy and River die in the same vignette, so he's still equal, death-for-death. His death in The Curse of the Black Spot is quite pointedly not a death - he starts to drown, so they release the Siren specifically because the Doctor suspects she might keep Rory safe. Then if you count his illusory death in The Doctor's Wife you should probably count one of the Amys being actually unwritten from time in The Girl Who Waited... it really isn't that excessive.

He racks up a couple of bonus deaths in The Angels Take Manhattan, but if you count, he's only one or two deaths ahead of his wife, max.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Let's admit it - Rory dying all the time became a joke!! It's like that cartoon character (forgottten the name) that got killed off every week!
    It became a motif.
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,287
    Forum Member

Sorry but - 2/10

That's how I would rate them.

I didn't like Amy and Martha or their families, but I loved Rose and Donna, and their families, especially Jackie and Wilf. I liked Rory, and if we're talking families, I quite liked his dad too.