Options

Bad Cover Versions

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bringin' On The Heartbreak Murdered By Mariah Carey.

I think Steve Clark (ex Def Leppard and co wrote the song) was turining in his grave when he heard her do this cover version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever happened to that Mariah song, I thought it was going to get released - did it? How did it do?
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    micksea241 wrote:
    Bringin' On The Heartbreak Murdered By Mariah Carey.

I think Steve Clark (ex Def Leppard and co wrote the song) was turining in his grave when he heard her do this cover version.

OMG! :eek:

I hope I never EVER hear that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dslrocks wrote:
    Suspicious Minds and Unchained Melody - both covered and brutally murdered by Gareth Gates.

And then there's Spirit In The Sky - murdered by the same Mr. Gates (even if it was for charity).

Don't do anymore................please :)
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote:
    OMG! :eek:

I hope I never EVER hear that!

I just heard it! :rolleyes:

Curiosity got the better of me, so I d/l'd it - & now I'm traumatised!

Never much liked Mariah before - now I actively DETEST her! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    It seems that what is being demonstrated is that most current 'flavours of the month', pushed by marketing departments and fame academy type shows, are nothing more than glorified karaoke turns.

Why don't people get out in their local areas and find what the live music scene has to offer. We don't all have to be the sheep that the music industry wants us to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote:
    I just heard it! :rolleyes:

Curiosity got the better of me, so I d/l'd it - & now I'm traumatised!

Never much liked Mariah before - now I actively DETEST her! :mad:
    She just seems to massacre the song. And the pitful guitar solo at the end is really bad.
    Originally by goody2shoes_23 What ever happened to that Mariah song, I thought it was going to get released - did it? How did it do?

Def Leppard originally gave her permission to cover the song, but once they heard her version of it and also that she wanted it to be released as a single, they put a block on it being released.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJ Otzi. Summer of '69. Grrr. :mad:
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once bought a copy of The Fields of Athenry endorsed, well advertised in the Celtic View anyway, by Celtic and it turned out to be the most horrendous dance mix of it ever with some lass singing instead of Paddy Reilly.

It last about 10 seconds before it was forcibly removed from my stereo. My brother still slags me off for it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A Little Bit" by Rosie Ribbons :eek:

the original by Jessica Simpson is so much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet that kicked Mariah abit, being told you can't release a single because it is so bad!
  • Options
    The MarksterThe Markster Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    DJ Otzi. Summer of '69. Grrr. :mad:

if this is the Bryan Adams song we're talking about then he must be shot!!!!!!

i never knew such a crime was comitted!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    ollics wrote:
    although best left as they were are:

Like A Prayer - Madonna (not Mad'house)

Totally agree about Like A Prayer, unfortunately Madonna herself murdered American Pie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bapak wrote:
    a-ha's 'take on me' by A1,'walk on by'by gabrielle(both pointless painting-by-numbers identikit covers)and that awful'hey hey baby OOH! HA!'thing,the original was crap also.

i love both versions of the song :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if this is the Bryan Adams song we're talking about then he must be shot!!!!!!

i never knew such a crime was comitted!!

That's the one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - you can't COVER one of your own songs - rework it in a different style perhaps, but NOT cover....

No actually you can cover a song you originally WROTE. Covering a song means that you are performing a song already RELEASED by another artist. Danzig wrote a song 'Thirteen' which Johnny Cash released in 1994. In 1999, Danzig also recorded and released the song covering Johnny Cash. The first person to release a song is the original.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Dave H wrote:
    Comfortably Numb; murdered by " Scissor Twins (?)"

Dave

That's the one that came into my head when I saw the name of this thread. I tottally agree with you.
  • Options
    WWJD??WWJD?? Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I dont think anyones mentioned this yet..but still , different people , different tastes....

a cover which really bugs me is the all saints cover of the chilli's classic "under the bridge"

that was a classic songs which should not have been touched...especially by the all saints

on the other hand , a cover which i enjoy quite a lot is the oasis cover of the david bowie song "heroes"...dunno why but it just seems like a good cover song to me

steve :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    anything by UB40
  • Options
    Megson1965Megson1965 Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are bad cover versions and pointless cover versions. Pointless cover versions are those that try to emulate everything inherent in the original, such as No Doubt's "It's My Life" which to all intents and purposes is so close to Talk Talk's original to render it...well....erm....pointless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Crossroads By Blazing Squad-they Destroyed That Song....waited For It To Die Then Came Back And Beat It With A Metal Bar

It Seems Like They Didnt Understand The Meaning Of The Song...cuz I Dont Even Know Wot The Heck They Were Chatting Abt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Maureen Rees (learner driver and back to reality ) covering madness' driving in my car :eek: ! beat that
  • Options
    auron87auron87 Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Megson1965 wrote:
    There are bad cover versions and pointless cover versions. Pointless cover versions are those that try to emulate everything inherent in the original, such as No Doubt's "It's My Life" which to all intents and purposes is so close to Talk Talk's original to render it...well....erm....pointless.

Actually I think No Doubts version is a lot better even if it is fairly similar. It's not really pointless though in my opinion because its a song which the band liked and wanted to cover and it also means a new generation of people (like me!) get to hear a great song. I dislike the voice of whoever sings it in the Talk Talk version but Gwen Stefani's voice sounds a lot better in my opinion.
  • Options
    MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    Dave H wrote:
    Comfortably Numb; murdered by " Scissor Twins (?)"

Dave

Totally agree Scissor Sistors have really murdered this song. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agreed about All Saints massacring Under the Bridge...

The only cover I can think of off the top of me head that I like better than the original was Smells Like Teen Spirit, covered by Tori Amos (don't shoot me Nirvana fans!)