Options

BBC One DOG?

topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
Forum Member
I was browsing some stuff on YouTube, when I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Al1zvhAC5k

I noticed that the start of the film had a BBC One DOG in the top left corner, which I've never seen before. Is this done commonly and I've just happened to miss it? And whats the reason for them adding the DOG to certain films? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like it was recorded from the online stream which contains a DOG (although not during news it seems).
  • Options
    dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One had a DOG on digital for a while when it first started too.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dvboy wrote: »
    BBC One had a DOG on digital for a while when it first started too.

Those had the full channel name on, though, eg. "BBC ONE NORTHERN IRELAND". Very subtle(!)

This more recent one looks at first like it would be from the Iplayer, but they're just 'BBC' in the actual corner, not stuck in the middle of the screen like the moronic channel controllers normally insist upon.
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Those had the full channel name on, though, eg. "BBC ONE NORTHERN IRELAND". Very subtle(!)

This more recent one looks at first like it would be from the Iplayer, but they're just 'BBC' in the actual corner, not stuck in the middle of the screen like the moronic channel controllers normally insist upon.

Erm, I don't know if you have ever heard of safe areas, but all graphics must adhere to these safe areas so that viewers on 4:3 TVs can see the graphics. For example, there were many complaints when in 2007 the BBC moved the BBC News 24 logo and clock past the safe areas, so they had to move them back again and complaints stopped. This is why logos are in the safe areas, not the "middle of the screen" like you said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, I don't know if you have ever heard of safe areas, but all graphics must adhere to these safe areas so that viewers on 4:3 TVs can see the graphics. For example, there were many complaints when in 2007 the BBC moved the BBC News 24 logo and clock past the safe areas, so they had to move them back again and complaints stopped. This is why logos are in the safe areas, not the "middle of the screen" like you said.

For TV shows I have worked on the "safe area" is usually to the 14:9 ratio, not 4:3. I'm not sure what it is for BBC News etc.
  • Options
    dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course BBC ONE in England just read "BBC ONE" - http://625.uk.com/dogwatch/#bbcdigidog

The live stream of BBC One on BBC iPlayer has the DOG reading "BBC ONE".
  • Options
    tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually it didn't. It said "BBC ONE NI".

Don't let the facts get in the way of your rant though.

On you go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tv.mark wrote: »
    Actually it didn't. It said "BBC ONE NI".

They mus've changed it later.
    Don't let the facts get in the way of your rant though.

On you go.

Ooh, I can feel the sarcasm from here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weebit wrote: »
    For TV shows I have worked on the "safe area" is usually to the 14:9 ratio, not 4:3. I'm not sure what it is for BBC News etc.

Must be 4:3 because of...

Yes, and what a bunch of numpties they were for moaning about that. "Oh, we can't see the clock!"

Well, (a) set your digibox properly, and (b) they can't be serious if they're trying to make it sound like they've managed to live their lives all this time without any actual timepieces about their household or their person(!)

And, VMP, the logos are within the 4:3 'safe area', so ARE in the middle of the screen, basically. There they are, floating in the middle. At least E4 and More4 shift them to the side.

If the BBC were to move theirs to the sides, how many viewers who can't set up their digiboxes properly would give a flying fig that they couldn't see them?
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to bump up this thread (and to answer the OP's question) the video you see there is from the online live feed, which uses the 1997-2002 logo still and was used on Sky Digital and ONdigital for a few weeks in Autumn 1998 before they were pulled due to mass consumer complaints. You can see some images of the DOG on Andrew Wiseman's Television Room: http://625.uk.com/dogwatch

The DOG was even pulled on the BBC's (then) sole digital channel, BBC Choice, which had just launched. Today though many people do not mind DOGs as back then, which is why we now have them on BBC Three, BBC Four, the CBBC Channel, CBeebies, BBC One HD and the BBC HD Channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DOG was even pulled on the BBC's (then) sole digital channel, BBC Choice, which had just launched. Today though many people do not mind DOGs as back then, which is why we now have them on BBC Three, BBC Four, the CBBC Channel, CBeebies, BBC One HD and the BBC HD Channel.

I wouldn't say "more people don't mind them today", I would say that broadcasters are even more bloody-minded now than they were back then.
  • Options
    tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They mus've changed it later.

Or perhaps you're just, well, wrong.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He is, but what he might be thinking of is when the BBC channels went FTA on Astra 2D in 2003. To aid the testing process, the channels each had a DOG with the full name of the region displayed ("BBC ONE North East & Cumbria") This was removed before they officially launched on the EPG, but nevertheless resulted in frantic complaints from those who had tuned in the test transmissions (much like the recent launch of BBC One HD, really)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, pardon me all over the place! I didn't just make it up!