Help me choose a car (New Driver)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
Forum Member
Hi Guys,

Just passed my driving, now looking at cars.

I'm looking at

Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V COMFORT 5DR 75HP [AC]
2002 (02 reg) Hatchback 40,000 miles Automatic 1.4L Petrol

KIA Picanto 1.0 GS 5DR 2005
2005 (05 reg) Hatchback 50,000 miles Manual 1.0L Petrol

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 MATCH 5DR
2001 (51 reg) Hatchback 32,000 miles Manual 1.4L Petrol

Need a little assistance in deciding really. I'm quite liking the Skoda what do you guys think?

I don't know much about cars - so should I get it checked out by RAC or AA before I buy it, even if I get a warranty from the garage?

Insurance wise using my brother and me as the main driver, quotes are coming in at around 900-1100 pounds. Am ok with that.

Appreciate the assistance

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would go for

1 Volkswagen
    2. Skoda
    3. Kia

The VW and Skoda are essentially the same car as they are both using engines by the VAG group (Volkswagen) . Im no expert but I think the VW will have better build quality interior wise, and you get a few extras on the Match model.
    Well done for passing your test :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted, read the OP properly :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are getting warranty then I probably wouldn't get it inspected.

Out of the cars listed I probably would go for the polo but tbh I wouldn't go for any of them, I would be looking at 53'ish plate Fiesta. You get more car for your money, be cheaper to run, nicer to drive and AFAIK no major issues.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/ford/fiesta-hatchback/summary/23676-5/
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laluuk wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just passed my driving, now looking at cars.

I'm looking at

Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V COMFORT 5DR 75HP [AC]
    2002 (02 reg) Hatchback 40,000 miles Automatic 1.4L Petrol

KIA Picanto 1.0 GS 5DR 2005
    2005 (05 reg) Hatchback 50,000 miles Manual 1.0L Petrol

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 MATCH 5DR
    2001 (51 reg) Hatchback 32,000 miles Manual 1.4L Petrol

Need a little assistance in deciding really. I'm quite liking the Skoda what do you guys think?

I don't know much about cars - so should I get it checked out by RAC or AA before I buy it, even if I get a warranty from the garage?

Insurance wise using my brother and me as the main driver, quotes are coming in at around 900-1100 pounds. Am ok with that.

Appreciate the assistance

The Kia will probably be the more reliable.

The Skoda, being automatic, will cost more to run, plus the automatic transmission on those is unreliable and potentially expensive to fix if it goes wrong.

The Polo seems alright.

Make sure the timing belt has been/will be replaced before you buy either of the cars.

Yes! Get an inspection done first.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about a c1, 107 or aygo for cheap tax and insurance, assuming your a young, single person
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    If you are getting warranty then I probably wouldn't get it inspected.

Out of the cars listed I probably would go for the polo but tbh I wouldn't go for any of them, I would be looking at 53'ish plate Fiesta. You get more car for your money, be cheaper to run, nicer to drive and AFAIK no major issues.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/ford/fiesta-hatchback/summary/23676-5/

Been told by many to go with German / Japanese / Korean cars mainly as they are the most reliable, which is why I've narrowed it down to the list above. Thanks though, am reading the review now :)
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »

The Skoda, being automatic, will cost more to run, plus the automatic transmission on those is unreliable and potentially expensive to fix if it goes wrong.

The Polo seems alright.

Make sure the timing belt has been/will be replaced before you buy either of the cars.

Thanks. I do like the Kia, but Skoda would've been my first choice as its got more room then Kia. Do you know the automatic is unreliable from personal use or do you have some reviews which state the issues... Sorry I do believe you its just that I kinda liked it the best out of the bunch.

Thanks again for the advice
    Forum Member
    how about a c1, 107 or aygo for cheap tax and insurance, assuming your a young, single person

hmmm... don't really like the look of those, not single and not that young either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go for the Skoda even though I love them the reason is it is an automatic. If you have just passed your test in a manual car you are best getting a manual so you can develop your gear changing more and learn how to handle a car better.

If you get an automatic you will eventually find if you go back to a manual it will be difficult to pick it up again.

I like the VW Polo good reliable car same with the Kia but I just feel the VW is a bit more classy.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,974
    Forum Member
    I'd get it inspected personally if you don't know what to look for. A warranty on a car that age would probably have so many disclaimers it won't be worth the paper it's written on.
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the build on VAG cars are appalling ive had two from new and never again im on my second honda now and never missed a beat

but on the choice of the 3 the polo is the better car but only if it has its cambelt and water pump changed because it is 12 years old and vw water pumps are plastic impellers not metal like japs

what about trying a mk1 yaris with a 1.0 engine and a cam chain low insurance too you could get a lot new car that way and more reliable
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabia the best car, biggest inside .... being an auto it'll cost more to tax, but only £25 more than manual of same car .. it'll be a aisin warner (toyota) gearbox, should be OK .... manual of same car will be cheaper to run.
    Kia is tiny, very narrow .... going by mileage alone that skoda is due for a cambelt change, polo in 8000 miles ... with any luck it's already been changed going by ages of cars.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I got my car inspected by the AA. Also when my brother was getting his new car (granted he was going for a more expensive one than me), the car itself looked fine but when it was inspected they picked up on things such as rust underneath I think it was so he decided against buying it. Warranties don't cover everything and when you read the small print they have a long list of things that aren't covered.
  • io1901io1901 Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    The Kia Picanto has only 3 stars on the NCAP rating - both the Fabia and Polo are 4 stars (5 stars is the best! )
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm... don't really like the look of those, not single and not that young either.

oh ok, insurance can be a killer, reason why i mentioned these cars, cheap tax as well

i couldnt live with one myself, fine for a first car..

if you have children, they would be a tad small i suppose
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without wanting to hijack the thread as such...I am looking to get another car in a couple of months, second hand but not dirt cheap, if that makes sense...maybe around 2/3k area...I want something that is very cheap on petrol for running around town [ no real long journeys ] and cheap on road tax [ the £30 tax range ]...I am 45 and so insurance is pretty cheap anyway but if I can find something like a 1.1 - 1.2 kind of car, it might help that as well. But mainly tax and reliability.

I have been told about Kia's and also C2's...any other ideas?

And OP...I hate automatic cars...I crashed my Mum's once where it zoomed off across the road, I much prefer to be in total control!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,782
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »

The Polo seems alright.

The Kia more reliable than a Volkswagen?
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insurance wise using my brother and me as the main driver

Not following you?

Are you saying you will be insuring it in your bother's name, with you as the main driver?

Or are you saying you will be insuring it in your name, with you brother listed as an additional driver?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been told by many to go with German / Japanese / Korean cars mainly as they are the most reliable, which is why I've narrowed it down to the list above. Thanks though, am reading the review now :)

I believe the fiesta is made in Germany, they stopped making them in the UK back in the 90's I think.

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/pr-one-million-fiestas-produced-in-34555

However stats show that UK made honda and toyota did better in reliability surveys then same model made elsewhere in the world so nothing wrong with UK made as long as you have the right company procedures.

As for Korean, I know their recent models do well, don't know about their older ones, a lot of older models were based on outdated european designs though their newer models are in house design from the ground up.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know much about cars :o
    but will say had my Kia over 4 years, its been a fantastic, very reliable car ... no problems at all :) and will buy another Kia in the future.
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Not following you?

Are you saying you will be insuring it in your bother's name, with you as the main driver?

Or are you saying you will be insuring it in your name, with you brother listed as an additional driver?

Option 1 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kia more reliable than a Volkswagen?

yeap, probably. Surveys show VW have a reputation for reliability this is misplaced and they are expensive to repair when they go wrong.
    Forum Member
    Don't know much about cars :o
    but will say had my Kia over 4 years, its been a fantastic, very reliable car ... no problems at all :) and will buy another Kia in the future.

Thanks. Which Kia did/do you have if you don't mind me asking?
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Not following you?

Option 1 :)

that is fronting isn't it? Insuring it in your more experienced brothers name but you being the main driver. Get your own insurance otherwise you risk the companies not paying out if you ever need them to.

oh and read this if you still think it's a good idea to get your brother to insure in his name and you be the main driver.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/14/fronting-car-insurance-costs-parents