NEW COMPANIONS; Weird or Normal??

Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
Forum Member
What it says really.
I've gotten sick of companions of the Doctor being 'Something else' !!
I'm an old-school Doctor Who fan....so I know what I'm talking about. I grew up with Susan as the Dr's grand-daughter, Ian & Barabara were her schoolteachers. All normal there....apart from Susan was a bit telepathic (only seen once!).
The rest of the Doctors companions were all normal human beings (he's had a few ones from the future and past).
Next was Tom Baker taking on Leela, then Romana from Gallifrey (which doesn't really count!)
Peter D took on Tom's Adric from Alzarius (or was it Terradon??) Nyssa from Traken, Tegan from Croyden/Brisbane, Turlough from (:cool:) and Peri from Lanzarote!!
Colin Baker took Mel from Pease Pottage (near Miss Marple!)
Sylvester took Ace from Perivale........

All quite 'normal' associates' in the end!

In the new series - the companions were quite normal until:-

SERIES 5 onwards: AMY & RORY:-
Dying every other episode??? Babies?? Corny story with River Song?? Living for thousands of years as an auton???? River Song is your child? Dying AGAIN!!!

SERIES 8: GOOD! So far - Clara has become a new woman and found herself a new man (as in Danny Spink). I was worried that Clara was going to become another 'weird' companion along with Amy and her ''other self' and Rory !

PLEASE be just like Jamie and Zoe, or Turlough and Tegan!!:)

Comments

• MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    What it says really.
    I've gotten sick of companions of the Doctor being 'Something else' !!

I wouldn't mind a companion who is important when he meets them - it makes sense that he'd meet someone during a "crisis" and they'd be "important" in relation to that one episode - but I'd prefer to do away with the galactic importance - them all being born to save the universe etc

Mind you, they had that with Martha and blew it.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I agree Minky all the way.
    Why cannot the Doctor just have a NORMAL companion ? It would be such a relief having someone like Sarah-Jane aboard the Tardis again!!:)
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen new who but the companions this far have mostly been 'special'

Rose - Normal - Until End of series 4 when she had to save the universe because the stars were going out and in her parallel universe the doctor had died.

Martha - Normal

Captain Jack - Can we call him normal besides the immortal time travel part? Oh and the part where it was implied that he becomes the face of boe.

Donna - Most important women in the whole universe. Part time lord. Part human. First ever timelord/human meta crisis.

Amy and Rory - River's parents (has there even been humans giving birth to a time lord before?). The last centurion. Lived thousands of years. Never remembered. Then remembered. Brought back the Doctor after he rebooted the universe. Died countless time.

River. - She's River. Nothing normal here.

Clara - The impossible girl. Scattered along the Doctors timeline saving him time and time again. Without Clara saving him, the Doctor would have died many years before apparently. So a bit late for her to be 'normal'.

I have enjoyed watching the Companions stories play out. Especially Donna and River. But yeah. Nothing wrong with him just having a normal, boring old companion.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    (SIGH! ;-))

I was forgetting our younger friends! I was referring to companions of the Doctor in the early days! Whether they came from the future or past - they were 'normal' people! Even aliens like Adric (if you could call him 'normal' (??) , or Nyssa who was just there to be pretty and act intelligent!

What I mean is the new Doctor needs a proper NORMAL everyday companion who eats chips and goes to bed at night! Rose did that - she was 'normal' until she was taken over by the Tardis!

Jo Grant , Sarah-Jane, Polly, Ben, Victoria, Vicki, Steven, Jamie etc......were all proper human beings and not possessed by "Timey Wimey" effects or anything else like Amy, Rory and Clara have been !!
    Looks like poor Danny Pink will be brought into it now!!:o:o
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the whole point of Clara that she is normal but she goes and does this crazy thing to save the doctor which gives the impression of her being abnormal?

Donna too started very very normal and only via her adventures gets strange.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please, who wants to watch normal people anyway. Clara and her new bf bore me already.