Options

CS: New Bethany Platt

jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a621971/coronation-street-reveals-sarah-louise-platts-daughter-bethany.html#~p1w1KPc120fANB

Ok so erm SB needs to seriously go now!

this is Kirkwood and Wallis Day all over again but in Corrie!

Comments

• Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note that there is no mention of the actress' age, but her twitter is katieredford89 which suggests the actress might be as old as 26! Ridiculous if true!
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a621971/coronation-street-reveals-sarah-louise-platts-daughter-bethany.html#~p1w1KPc120fANB

Ok so erm SB needs to seriously go now!

this is Kirkwood and Wallis Day all over again but in Corrie!

How old is the actress? She certainly does not look 14.

People were laughing about Emma Barton on Emmerdale Farm being 12 when she had Pete but having a 14 year old daughter that looks at least 21 and 26 as suggested above is a farce.

The actress playing her Mum is 31 for god's sake
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Well she looks about 17 to me (maybe 18) so I guess she could have been SOARSed a couple of years and be playing a 16 year old. Her agents profile has her age range 16-20 so I doubt she is 29 as has been suggested.

edit - looks like I was wrong. It appears that she is 23 (turning 24 this year). This cached page refers to her as being 22. making her 10 years older in real life than Bethany, so assuming at most she is playing as young as 19 that is still a 5-year jump, meaning Sarah-Louise had Bethany at the age of 9 unless they age her as well by 5 years (making her a year older than Nick would have been if her wasn't played by an old man)
  • Options
    JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/news/casting-news-bethany-platt-katie-redford
    On the main Corrie site it says that the actress is 19!
    Still looks far too old to play Beth IMO. Isn't Faye meant to be 13-14? It just won't be believable if those 2 characters share scenes together if they are meant to be a similar age.
    First I heard about Corrie's plans to get Steve & Michelle back together and now this?! Think I may be switching off again soon. Steve's depression storyline is the only thing keeping me interested in Corrie ATM, so if they end that with Steve being completely fine again in a few weeks, I'll be annoyed lol!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jillstar wrote: »
    http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/news/casting-news-bethany-platt-katie-redford
    Still looks far too old to play Beth IMO. Isn't Faye meant to be 13-14? It just won't be believable if those 2 characters share scenes together if they are meant to be a similar age.
    First I heard about Corrie's plans to get Steve & Michelle back together and now this?! Think I may be switching off again soon. Steve's depression storyline is the only thing keeping me interested in Corrie ATM, so if they end that with Steve being completely fine again in a few weeks, I'll be annoyed lol!

This is soapland so steve will be fine the scene after his first therapy session :D
  • Options
    JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    This is soapland so steve will be fine the scene after his first therapy session :D

Yep, that wouldn't surprise me lol! :D
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's new Ryan all over again - who is responsible for casting?!
  • Options
    IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jillstar wrote: »
    Still looks far too old to play Beth IMO. Isn't Faye meant to be 13-14? It just won't be believable if those 2 characters share scenes together if they are meant to be a similar age
    Faye is 12. Bethany is 14 going on 15. So yes, the actress is years older than the character. Then again, Tina O'Brien is three years older than Sarah - she just looks really young, which I'm not sure can be said of this actress. On the bright side, she does at least look a lot like the little twins who played Bethany as a child! And the age gap between her and Tine O'Brien is close to that between Bethany and Sarah (12 years rather than 13).

The article says she has 'an eye for the boys'. I'm just wondering what boys those might be - there aren't many teenage lads on the Street, and it'll be so inappropriate if they have this 14-year-old running around after grown men. It all screams of short-term stunt-storytelling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeg wrote: »
    Faye is 12. Bethany is 14 going on 15. So yes, the actress is years older than the character. Then again, Tina O'Brien is three years older than Sarah - she just looks really young, which I'm not sure can be said of this actress. On the bright side, she does at least look a lot like the little twins who played Bethany as a child! And the age gap between her and Tine O'Brien is close to that between Bethany and Sarah (12 years rather than 13).

The article says she has 'an eye for the boys'. I'm just wondering what boys those might be - there aren't many teenage lads on the Street, and it'll be so inappropriate if they have this 14-year-old running around after grown men. It all screams of short-term stunt-storytelling.

Its going to be either Satan Simon or Craig :D:D
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Craig is gonna get lucky
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I note that there is no mention of the actress' age, but her twitter is katieredford89 which suggests the actress might be as old as 26! Ridiculous if true!

It says in the link she is 19
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is just atrocious casting, I would think 17 would be the cutting off point for any actress to be considered playing a 14 year old, yes 14 years old look older nowadays but there old and then there bending the realms of fantasy,
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    It says in the link she is 19

I found a link and it looks like the same actress and it states she was 22. But this is a cached page so could easily be 23 now.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until she appears on screen before you judge.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some 14 year old girls do look older than they actually are so if the actress is indeed 19 then it should be ok. Sarah won't look old enough to be her mother but she did have her at 13 after all so that's to be expected. There's only 7 years between Gail and Audrey so it runs in the family. If the actress is in fact 25 as some people are speculating then that is a step too far IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how annoyed I am, but then again I should have expected nothing less from The Hat.

I would have swallowed a 16/17yr old actress playing Bethany, but a girl in her 20's is beyond ridiculous. We are seeing a repeat of Wallis Day and Holly all over again. Wallis was beatiful and not a terrible actress, but she had a maturity about her which was jarring, plus the fact that she was supposed to be around Tom Cunninghams age (who is actually played by an actor of the same age as his character) made her look even more ridiculous! The same applies here, can we really put Bethany and Faye Windass in the same room and be made to believe there is less then 2yrs between them?? Pull the other one SB!

We are rinse and repeating ALL the same mistakes with Beth as we did with Holly, she is going to arrive on the Cobbles as some teenage temptress, trying to charm men into buying her drinks by using her looks and female charm....SHE'S 14!!!!! If this was the way they were taking this character, it should have been Beth getting preggers and not our Faye, at least the casting of someone much older and more experienced would have been justified, as I doubt that little Ellie Leach is going to be able to handle this this S/L satifactorily.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until she appears on screen before you judge.

That isn't the done thing at all is it heh.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five year age gap between actress and character, really?

It's not much of a gap when the actors/characters are in their 30's+, but when you're meant to be playing a kid, it's so much more obvious.

It's going to be VERY hard to buy. Tina (Sarah) looks so young for her age that they really needed to cast someone who could pass as her daughter. I know Sarah had her young, but from the two pics in the link, Sarah could pass as her sister - the younger one!

Horrible casting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    That isn't the done thing at all is it heh.

LOL good point. I admit to being the first one to jump up and down in indignation at the casting of Emma Barton & I love that character and actress already. So in a few weeks I'll probably be eating my words and saying how NewBeth is the best thing since sliced bread, but for now, I'll continue in fury and let it ruin my day! :D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ginger Craig is gonna get lucky

If that happens, following the equally unattractive Chesney banging uber-babe Katy, then we might need to call some kind of paranormal expert in to investigate. Something supernatural is clearly going on in Wetherfield.

I suspect demonic possession.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably best to not judge until she appears on screen. Its Nick all over again though. Ben Price looks too old to be Nick (and of course he is),however as I say lets not do the usual DS thing - lets give her a chance.
  • Options
    ofthenightofthenight Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wallis Day was actually more believable as a 14 year old than this girl!
  • Options
    kpcrispsxxxkpcrispsxxx Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    It says in the digital spy article that the actress is 19. A 5 year gap may be ok for adults but not when you're playing a 14 year old. No wonder when she turns up in the Rovers Gavin doesn't think twice about buying her a drink!!
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    A fiver says she gets pregnant within the next three years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Found this online there's a few more pictures of her too

http://www.ajmanagement.co.uk/index.php/actor/katie-redford