The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I hope not, their ages seem quite far apart so it would seem a little creepy.

The characters of Carl and Beth are 13 and 16. Big age difference between 13 and 16, but not such a big difference between 16 and 19. It might be a possibility if they're both alive for several seasons. It might be a stretch under normal circumstances, but it's not as if they have a great abundance of choice in partners.

Of course in real life, the actress playing Beth is quite a bit older than her character, and Carl isn't, so it would be weird from that perspective. But it's not like they'd show anything explicit anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone notice the credit list on opening credits?
    No T-Dog, Hershall or Beth. :eek:
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Same as last year ^

Fantastic opening episode - loved every second of it. Very tense once they were in the corridors. Shame no one working on the show realised how illogical it was to have Hershall go with them.

Can understand why they did it, but I'm a bit disappointed by the time jump - I was looking forward to winter zombies :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »

Can understand why they did it, but I'm a bit disappointed by the time jump - I was looking forward to winter zombies :(

I think it might have been budget etc. Because the time they film of year & where they film, Its always warm.

To go somewhere with harsh winter conditions (as per comic) They'd have to move states.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    I think they will keep up with her comic book storyline personally.
    The governer will kill her & the baby

I know I'm going to sound callous but I hope so!
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I know I'm going to sound callous but I hope so!

Nah, you ain't the only one! :D
  • Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Same as last year ^

Fantastic opening episode - loved every second of it. Very tense once they were in the corridors. Shame no one working on the show realised how illogical it was to have Hershall go with them.

I guess everyone makes mistakes ... and they are sort of following the comic book plot with the bite/amputation.

What was really good though was the fact that, in general, Rick's band of survivors seem to have got their act together and are for the most part acting in a sensible and effective manner instead of just doing irrational, stupid stuff.

That made it a lot less frustrating to watch.

As for the Winter, in the comic books they mentioned that the walkers tended to freeze up and there was less of a threat from roaming bands of them when temperatures were near zero. Seemed that Rick & Co. had been on the run from hordes all through the Winter in the TV series though.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

As for the Winter, in the comic books they mentioned that the walkers tended to freeze up and there was less of a threat from roaming bands of them when temperatures were near zero. Seemed that Rick & Co. had been on the run from hordes all through the Winter in the TV series though.

That would seem like a good time to go out and clear as many of them out of the area as possible by chopping their heads off while frozen.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Hershel would have been happy to be left behind though, his daughter was going out clearing the prison so I don't think he'd have stayed behind. Remember how gung-ho he was at the farm in the last episode - he wasn't leaving till he'd put every zombie down. No way he'd be left with the women while they're out there.

I also put down his carelessness near the biter down to worrying over Maggie, he'd no concern for his own safety at that point, just wanted to find her.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I hope Lori is killed off this season (wishful thinking).
    Fingers crossed the series will follow the book.....
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    I thought they made some silly choices.

Why waste precious bullets on the zombie prisoners when they could've just stabbed them through the gates? OK, so it would not have been as quick, but once they were in that secure walk way, they could have taken their time and got them all to the gates and stabbed them one by one. No ammo wasted.

Also, I have no idea why they went inside like that. Why not secure the prison bit by bit, instead of barging in and just stabbing and shooting at random. They could have drawn them out first, instead of going into the unknown. I also did not understand why Hershal was not left behind with Lori, seeing how she's 'due any moment'. Now that he's going to die (either from infection to the wound, losing too much blood or becoming a walker himself) who will deliver the baby?

There seems to be no thought behind it all, and yet they've been doing this for quite some time now. You'd think they'd get smarter about how to go about killing the walkers.
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »

Agreed, once Rick was in the tower the walkers very quickly lost interest after all there were 4 or 5 banging on the door.

The walkers would have just gone back to the fences where they could have picked them off.

I would have found the locked gates inside the prison and drawn the walkers to it by rattling the gates, after all they are attracted to sound and picked them off there like they did with the walkers that were still locked in their cells.

Incidentally the walker that Glenn pins down and impales its head when everyone is walking in after clearing the initial field, where is it on the overhead shot when Rick picks off the last one ?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why waste precious bullets on the zombie prisoners when they could've just stabbed them through the gates? OK, so it would not have been as quick, but once they were in that secure walk way, they could have taken their time and got them all to the gates and stabbed them one by one. No ammo wasted.

Also, I have no idea why they went inside like that. Why not secure the prison bit by bit, instead of barging in and just stabbing and shooting at random. They could have drawn them out first, instead of going into the unknown. I also did not understand why Hershal was not left behind with Lori, seeing how she's 'due any moment'. Now that he's going to die (either from infection to the wound, losing too much blood or becoming a walker himself) who will deliver the baby?

There seems to be no thought behind it all, and yet they've been doing this for quite some time now. You'd think they'd get smarter about how to go about killing the walkers.

I like to think the baby will deliver itself......sort of......:D

As for being smarter - you'd think wouldn't you.

The ones to survive past the first wave are going to be the lucky and the smart - smart as in capable of planning strategies, carrying out attacks, knows where to find food/ammo etc

Of those 'smart' - some will get picked off as their strategies fail & the survivors will learn - as they did with noise attracting them & keeping a proper watch for example.

You'd think to survive this long (about a year?) that we have the cream of the crop - the smartest. Seems perhaps we just have the luckiest:D

Hopefully they'll learn from this too - don't take elderly doctors with you when looking for the canteen.:D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode with plenty of action this week. At least we now know who will deliver the baby, if she's had enough practise on dead walkers first/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why waste precious bullets on the zombie prisoners when they could've just stabbed them through the gates? .

Gun shots to speedily clear the field before it was dark and attract all the walkers to ensure it was thorough.

Loving the change Rick is going through lol
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so glad he killed that annoying prisoner. I just knew he would be trouble and would have killed him straight away. This is one of the reason this show is so good, is that they are not afraid to kill characters off so quickly.

I just hope they keep Hershal as he is a great character.
  • darnelledarnelle Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    filler episode
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another stonking episode, again full of tension and gore. Quick story arcs for most of the prisoner's but showing how ruthless Grimes has become.

Interesting on Talking Dead to see Wesley Crusher talk about this series Wesley Crusher AKA Carl.
    MERLE:eek:
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol - jumped out of my skin when Hershal resuscitated - nearly did my laptop a mischief!!

Good episode. I did initially wonder whether it might be better to have the prisoners on side rather than living in the next cell block alienated and up to no good. Then the first walker skirmish and realised they would be more of a liability! Major bad prisoner gave himself a death sentence going after Rick though I was surprised Rick was able to just machete him in the head:eek: Prisoner with baseball bat was more in keeping - Rick being the reason for death but 'hands off'.

With only two prisoners left I wonder if they might be integrated at some point - the big guy looked like he could handle a plough which would be handy if they are staying put & planting crops...........yeah right:D
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this episode!

Felt sorry for the prisoner with the bat though, as he seemed like he only wanted to defend himself! Rick went a bit crazy with that one. Can't blame him for for killing the other one, though. :p

Carl needs to stop acting the way he is. I know he's trying to help the group, but going off like that on his own is stupid.

Carol practicing on zombies is kinda weird...:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    darnelle wrote: »
    filler episode

Are you kidding me? It just felt like a continuation of episode 1 for me. The scenes with the prisoners and particularly the one where Rick takes out the guy with his machete were some of the best scenes we've seen so far. I love Ricks new found ruthlessness when it comes to keeping the group safe. He's a good judge of character but I don't believe for a second that prisoner who escaped Rick is dead. I nearly died when Hershel woke up with Lori giving him the kiss of life though. :D

I knew some prisoners would be kept alive as it is quite important in the books but I think I remember there being more than two and some pretty horrendous things could have happened if those guys had stayed around longer, making it even more gruesome than it is.

I'm loving Carol this season and also I've warmed to Carl. He's a badass when it comes to killing walkers. He was one of the guys that helped clear the house in the opening episode, yet Lori was shouting at him for wondering off in the prison when he went to find the infirmary? It doesn't make sense that she would allow one thing and not another. I mean how difficult is it keeping tabs on a child in a locked up prison block? She's a terrible mother! :rolleyes::D

I saw a sneak peek of next weeks episode and Michonne and Andrea seem to take centre stage. The governor asks about Andrea's (former) group and where they are so he can pick them up and bring them to Woodbury but how would she know where they are now as she was separated from them months ago and are presumably miles and miles apart?
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so glad he killed that annoying prisoner. I just knew he would be trouble and would have killed him straight away. This is one of the reason this show is so good, is that they are not afraid to kill characters off so quickly.

I agree. On a lesser show, we'd have had weeks of them butting heads and glaring at each other. Happily, Rick saw which way the wind was blowing and acted accordingly!
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much attention spent on Herschel imo when we could have been getting more info from the prisioners. When things went pear shaped, what happened, maybe even a flashback. Ok we got a little info but more would have been nice.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I hope not, their ages seem quite far apart so it would seem a little creepy.
    She's got to be over 18 (at least in real life, though she's probably playing a younger character). Still, Ben and Beth are the youngest now, it stands to reason they'd find a connection. Everyone else is practically an adult.

Think I'd rather Maggie though... :P

Edit: Note noticed that has all been explained by Anachrony. My bad.
    Fingers crossed the series will follow the book.....
    I actually hope it doesn't; same with True Blood and Vampire Diaries.

If shows follow the books exactly, then it's highly likely people will spoil it for you (this has happened for me with Game of Thrones). If shows veer off occasionally, then no matter how much something can be spoilt, there's always room for that little surprise.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    She's got to be over 18 (at least in real life, though she's probably playing a younger character). Still, Ben and Beth are the youngest now, it stands to reason they'd find a connection. Everyone else is practically an adult.

Think I'd rather Maggie though... :P

Edit: Note noticed that has all been explained by Anachrony. My bad.

I actually hope it doesn't; same with True Blood and Vampire Diaries.

If shows follow the books exactly, then it's highly likely people will spoil it for you (this has happened for me with Game of Thrones). If shows veer off occasionally, then no matter how much something can be spoilt, there's always room for that little surprise.

I think they've already shown that it can deviate enough from the comics to be shocking when it wants to be:)