'Told on' a work colleague- Was I out of order?

stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'll try and keep this as succinct as possible.

I do promotions work quite often, just leafleting and so on most of the time. This often involves early mornings, as it did today.

I was working 7.30-9.30AM with another person. To prove we are, in fact, doing our job we are required to send a photo of the bar we are promoting to 'check in'. I arrived, sent the photo to the agency we work for and then texted the girl I was meant to be working with saying

"Morning! Just so you know I've already taken the photo to check in and sent it to *AGENCY NAME* See you in a bit!"

Half an hour into this two hour shift she was nowhere to be seen and I'd heard nothing so sent another just saying "Hello?!"

She replied "Hey how u I missed my stop so got of next one at temple it's just the other end It's real busy here so I'm gonna flyer here k"

The rest of the conversation went as follows:

ME: "That's nowhere near the bar though surely?"

HER: "Well it's the next stop after black frairs an it don't matter if its not nxt door to the place the address is on the flyer"

ME: "Well I thought the whole point was that it was close to people's work so they could go for lunch or after..it's up to you though. Lets just hope *AGENCY NAME don't check up on us today. "

HER: "It is close its next stop what the **** is ur problem mate!"

ME: "Wow. Err well I was just saying that we're really supposed to be flyering here and you aren't..here. A fair comment to make, I think. Like I say, though, do what you like. "

HER: "Ok we'll like I sed I missed the black frairs stop coz I fell asleep on train for off at temple I decided to flyer here as I cnt get bk on train to come black frairs as I don't have money go trAvel An I don't want to walk that far to black frairs"

After this, I just didn't reply and then proceeded to tell the agency that I hadn't seen her but that she was apparently working in Temple.

I really don't believe she was in Temple at all and even if she did miss her stop it's only a 10 minute walk anyway? The thing about having no money makes no sense really.

I'm just wondering if I was wrong at all in informing the agency?
Obviously she may well have been in Temple (however unlikely), in which case I would feel quite bad..but I do only have her word for it and she shouldn't be there anyway.

I was just annoyed because for all I know she could have just been texting me from bed..and getting paid for it! I got up super early to come into central London to work in the right location and I just didn't think it was fair that she didn't, hence why I told the agency.

Does anyone think I was really out of line here?

Apologies for the rant/long message.

As a separate thought, it really irks me that a lot of people don't even bother to say 'No thank you' to someone with leaflets or whatever, it's just manners!

Comments

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say you "proceeded to tell the agency", do you mean that at some point they asked you a question about her (or how it was going, or whatever) and you answered it truthfully or do you mean you specifically contacted them to inform them you hadn't seen her?
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Did you phone the agency to tell them or did they ask you where she was ?
    Reagarding the No Thanks to a flyer .I try to be polite and say No TY but I often find it it just as rude to have a flyer stuck in my face and someone block my way when I dont want it .,
  • stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    When you say you "proceeded to tell the agency", do you mean that at some point they asked you a question about her (or how it was going, or whatever) and you answered it truthfully or do you mean you specifically contacted them to inform them you hadn't seen her?

The latter, which we are meant to do anyway if people don't show up..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you phone the agency to tell them or did they ask you where she was ?
    Reagarding the No Thanks to a flyer .I try to be polite and say No TY but I often find it it just as rude to have a flyer stuck in my face and someone block my way when I dont want it .,

I see your point there.. That can be just as annoying.
    I try to be as unintrusive (if that's a word) as I possibly can.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably you are both required to send in a picture of the bar? If so, the agency should have been aware that she wasn't in the right place.

If not I see no problem in telling the agency what has happened, as you are required to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Presumably you are both required to send in a picture of the bar? If so, the agency should have been aware that she wasn't in the right place.

If not I see no problem in telling the agency what has happened, as you are required to do.

Only one picture has to be sent, in order to check both people in.. I sent it presuming she'd arrive shortly which obviously wasn't the case.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to look out for yourself first. If you hadn't reported her absence from the site you could have found yourself in trouble. I would be surprised if the agency didn't from time to time check up on whether there are two people leafletting as there should be. If you were unlucky and they checked up and only found you they might think that you and your colleague took it in turns to stay in bed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    You have to look out for yourself first. If you hadn't reported her absence from the site you could have found yourself in trouble. I would be surprised if the agency didn't from time to time check up on whether there are two people leafletting as there should be. If you were unlucky and they checked up and only found you they might think that you and your colleague took it in turns to stay in bed!

You're right, thank you.

She was in the wrong place regardless and they do indeed do spot checks sometimes so she'd have had to explain it to them if that had happened!
    Even if she had missed her stop, surely you'd be apologetic and then make the 10 minute journey down the road rather than getting so defensive?

It was the last day of working with her anyway so it's not my problem unless I get put with her again.

Thanks,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As a separate thought, it really irks me that a lot of people don't even bother to say 'No thank you' to someone with leaflets or whatever, it's just manners!

If I wanted whatever you were handing out, I would ask.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Ah - I assumed you each had to send a pic in. But it seems like you accidentally vouched for her being there when she wasn't. In which case, yeah you're safe. Personally I'd probably not have texted her at all anyway after the first one, and maybe just rung the agency 'innocently' asking if I'd made a mistake and was meant to be somewhere else, because my partner hasn't arrived and they might be waiting for me in the right place?
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    el_bardos wrote: »
    If it weren’t such bad manners to approach people who’ve expressed no interest in what you’re promoting, getting in their way and trying to shove junk mail into their hands, you might have a point.

Totally agree. Who picks us the discarded leaflets or are they left as litter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    It depends on the person doing the 'shoving leaflets into your hands' - if they tried to do it aggressively, I'd agree that ignoring them is the best policy.

But I've never encountered a street flyer-er or chugger who didn't speak/profer leaflets without a smile and a friendly hello. So if someone's doing a job, and being friendly (and it must be pretty difficult to stay smiling with all the mardy buggers pushing past) - then even though I'll never, ever stop or take a leaflet... It's no harm to smile back and wish them well. At least they're trying - at least they're working - and at least they're still smiling.

(except the ones that don't turn up lol)
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't owe your colleague any favours. Remember this.
    If she isn't doing the job properly that is her problem not yours.

Do not cover for people who are skiving ever. It reflects badly on you.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

I did a bit of flyering in my clubbing days outside clubs in the morning (free entry was the only reason for doing it) and I have to say people would just take the flyer and drop it on the ground. Other flyerers would just shove the flyer in your hand which I thought was downright rude, especially when you may already have your hands full.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's on a par with junk mail and unsolicited phone calls, nobody wants it and it's annoying when someone tries to foist it on you simply because they are being paid to do it.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Even if she had missed her stop, she justs needs to get off the train, pop onto the other platform and come back one stop!??? it would not incur any additional money.

Thats why I think she was trying it on, and so you were right to let the agency know.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    wench wrote: »
    Even if she had missed her stop, she justs needs to get off the train, pop onto the other platform and come back one stop!??? it would not incur any additional money.

Thats why I think she was trying it on, and so you were right to let the agency know.

Good point, and much as it wasn't exactly a pleasant morning in London today, Temple to Blackfriars is hardly a major walk even if she'd left the station without realising she was at the wrong stop (or is it just me that's done that :o ).

She was trying it on, and I don't blame the OP for covering their own back
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    You should have sent to the agency:-

"XXX hasn't turned in. She's a waste of fkng space!"

And got her sacked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll try and keep this as succinct as possible.

I do promotions work quite often, just leafleting and so on most of the time. This often involves early mornings, as it did today.

I was working 7.30-9.30AM with another person. To prove we are, in fact, doing our job we are required to send a photo of the bar we are promoting to 'check in'. I arrived, sent the photo to the agency we work for and then texted the girl I was meant to be working with saying

"Morning! Just so you know I've already taken the photo to check in and sent it to *AGENCY NAME* See you in a bit!"

Half an hour into this two hour shift she was nowhere to be seen and I'd heard nothing so sent another just saying "Hello?!"

She replied "Hey how u I missed my stop so got of next one at temple it's just the other end It's real busy here so I'm gonna flyer here k"

The rest of the conversation went as follows:

ME: "That's nowhere near the bar though surely?"

HER: "Well it's the next stop after black frairs an it don't matter if its not nxt door to the place the address is on the flyer"

ME: "Well I thought the whole point was that it was close to people's work so they could go for lunch or after..it's up to you though. Lets just hope *AGENCY NAME don't check up on us today. "

HER: "It is close its next stop what the **** is ur problem mate!"

ME: "Wow. Err well I was just saying that we're really supposed to be flyering here and you aren't..here. A fair comment to make, I think. Like I say, though, do what you like. "

HER: "Ok we'll like I sed I missed the black frairs stop coz I fell asleep on train for off at temple I decided to flyer here as I cnt get bk on train to come black frairs as I don't have money go trAvel An I don't want to walk that far to black frairs"

After this, I just didn't reply and then proceeded to tell the agency that I hadn't seen her but that she was apparently working in Temple.

I really don't believe she was in Temple at all and even if she did miss her stop it's only a 10 minute walk anyway? The thing about having no money makes no sense really.

I'm just wondering if I was wrong at all in informing the agency?
    Obviously she may well have been in Temple (however unlikely), in which case I would feel quite bad..but I do only have her word for it and she shouldn't be there anyway.

I was just annoyed because for all I know she could have just been texting me from bed..and getting paid for it! I got up super early to come into central London to work in the right location and I just didn't think it was fair that she didn't, hence why I told the agency.

Does anyone think I was really out of line here?

Apologies for the rant/long message.

Reading your post, it doesn't sound as if you 2 are great friends or infact work very closely together. You done the right thing, you just gave the information she passed to you. I don't think this will affect you in the long run...
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Each to their own. For me it’s the live version of cold calling, someone entering my life with the soul intention of trying to sell me something I don't want. They can be as friendly as they want about it, it’s still not wanted and they know it.

Is that the religious leafleters you are speaking about? :confused::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I don't think you did anything wrong.

If she was genuinely working, then she should have contacted the agency and told them where she was and sent her own photo.

I'm pretty sure if you have to work together again you'll be in for a frosty reception though