Dear Helen Mirren...

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The Doctor is a Timelord from Gallifrey. Why would they suddenly make him American?

I meant the actor playing him. If we're so adamant to change various aspects of The Doctor, why not change his accent to a non-British one? Or is that a change too far?:rolleyes: When does it end?
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mondas wrote: »
    ...The Doctor is a male Time Lord. He is a white, male Time Lord. And going by the fact he has a granddaughter, he is a male, white, straight Time Lord. Get over it. :-)

In the same way River Song was a white female and the Corsair was a male time lord;)

The series official word on sexuality is that it becomes less binary in advanced civilisations. The Doctor isn't really bothered by concepts like straight and gay. He became America's first gay marriage lobbyist after all :D

I like your contention that no gay/bisexual men have ever sired a child with a woman :) That he had sex with a women does not preclude him from having had sex with a man at any point in his life.

Btw, don't hate on Queen Dame Mirren. Some people are just too bloody-minded and set in their ways to realise she speaks more sense that 95% of posters on these boards combined.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I like Helen but it's a male role and it's really that simple. The Doctor is a male character.

I don't care about ethnicity to be honest. It's not an issue for me but the character is male.

As for sexuality, wouldn't the closest the Doctor would be is pansexual?
    Forum Member
    Shevk wrote: »
    In the same way River Song was a white female and the Corsair was a male time lord;)

The series official word on sexuality is that it becomes less binary in advanced civilisations. The Doctor isn't really bothered by concepts like straight and gay. He became America's first gay marriage lobbyist after all :D

I like your contention that no gay/bisexual men have ever sired a child with a woman :) That he had sex with a women does not preclude him from having had sex with a man at any point in his life.

Btw, don't hate on Queen Dame Mirren. Some people are just too bloody-minded and set in their ways to realise she speaks more sense that 95% of posters on these boards combined.

Sorry, I didn't realise Helen Mirren was infallible and above criticism. :rolleyes:

As for your comment about gay/bisexual men haing children/grandchildren, of course this happens very frequently and I have no problem with it whatsoever. However, does this need to be addressed in what is essentially a family show about a time travelling alien who stops other aliens causing trouble? I think not. If you want an overtly sexualised space romp, watch Battlestar Galactica.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we allready have a bi companion jack and 11 is freinds with a same sex different species couple vastra and jenny.
  • ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    All The Doctor needs to be is male.

Black, white, gay, straight, young, old, who cares?!

As long as he's a "he" that's fine by me!
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »

Indeed. The actor Denholm Elliott springs to mind. He had two kids with his wife, but also spent much of his spare time picking up fellas and tragically died of AIDS in 1992.

Scott Capurro, a gay American comedian, was on TV recently talking about how all the gay Englishmen he knows are massive Doctor Who fans, and he claimed "that's because they think the Doctor is gay. They've always assumed he was."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for your comment about gay/bisexual men haing children/grandchildren, of course this happens very frequently and I have no problem with it whatsoever. However, does this need to be addressed in what is essentially a family show about a time travelling alien who stops other aliens causing trouble? I think not. If you want an overtly sexualised space romp, watch Battlestar Galactica.

We've moved on a bit from the days of Barry Letts and JNT, who were shit scared of alluding to sex in the show. You may have noticed that New Who is rather more sexually orientated than Classic Who, and many consider that's one of the reasons for its success and broad appeal.
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    We've moved on a bit from the days of Barry Letts and JNT, who were shit scared of alluding to sex in the show. You may have noticed that New Who is rather more sexually orientated than Classic Who, and many consider that's one of the reasons for its success and broad appeal.

Of course I've noticed it. RTD did a good job of ramming that home for his entire tenure, and Moffat -- albeit in a slightly less overtly camp way -- has carried the sexual baton ever since. Doesn't mean I have to appreciate it or be condemned for not doing so.
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we allready have a bi companion jack and 11 is freinds with a same sex different species couple vastra and jenny.

In regards to Jenny I'd say it would be more in fitting with the character being a male role model to see the Doctor kiss a man who wanted to reciprocate over seeing him forcibly kiss a lesbian without her consent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I've noticed it. RTD did a good job of ramming that home for his entire tenure, and Moffat -- albeit in a slightly less overtly camp way -- has carried the sexual baton ever since. Doesn't mean I have to appreciate it or be condemned for not doing so.

Who's condemning you?

I'm just making the point that the show has changed from what it once was and that change does not seem to have killed it or impacted negatively on its popularity. If anything, it probably appeals more to groups who previously had never been interested in it.