Cineworld Rip-Off Prices

2»

Comments

• GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    And there, in a nutshell, is the problem.

agreed,when you give people the legal option(at a cost) and the illegal option (for free) any moral outrage goes flying out the window
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Cinemas wont die anytime soon, to suggest so is ludicrous when you look at how much recent blockbusters are raking in. Before The Dark Knight in 2008 it was a rarity for a film to cross the billion dollar worldwide mark, whereas now even dross like Alice in Wonderland manages to make it to a billion, if anything i'd say that cinema is thriving. We may start to get more "day and date" simultaneous VOD/Cinema releases, but all that will happen there is that the people who wouldn't have gone to the cinema anyway will watch it in the comfort of their own home while the people who would normally go to the cinema will carry on going to the cinema.

As an example, i was interested in seeing the new Rob Zombie film 'The Lords of Salem', which went straight to DVD and VOD in the UK rather than getting a cinema release, if it had come out at my local Cineworld i would have gone to see it, but i am still yet to watch it despite it being available to rent on the PSN store for £4.49. Likewise, given the choice between watching Star Trek Into Darkness or Iron Man 3 on my TV while sat on my bed or on an IMAX screen, i wouldn't even consider the VOD option. I'd just rather see something on a cinema screen. Say what you want about your perfect home cinema, but it would still pale in comparison to watching something on a screen the size of two and half double decker buses with a sound system that blows away even the best home surround sound system.

I imagine that VOD prices will skyrocket when bigger movies start to have simulataneous releases though, i really can't see Disney offering The Avengers 3 for £4.49 on Sky Box Office when a cinema ticket for one person is currently around £9 for an adult.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I imagine that VOD prices will skyrocket when bigger movies start to have simulataneous releases though, i really can't see Disney offering The Avengers 3 for £4.49 on Sky Box Office when a cinema ticket for one person is currently around £9 for an adult.

Look at how film on demand works now on the Curzon web site. Older films cost as little as £2 to watch online. Current theatrical releases cost £10. A similar pricing model is likely to apply if and when all new releases are avaialble on demand.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    It is when you've got a family of 5.
    We have a Vue locally which we hardly go to these days as thankfully the older original 3 screen cinema thats 5 miles away has recently had a refurb with new screens,projectors,seating and gone for the bums on seats approach and lowered its prices to £2.50 mon-fri, £3.50 sat-sun and shows all the latest films. Its no surprise that pretty much every showing of the 3 films is sold out everyday.
    So for 5 of us including travel is still cheaper than 2 tickets would be going to Vue.

OK this is 10 years ago, but I used to be able to get in to the nearest multiplex when I lived in Essex for £3 before 12pm. Was great for early showings on a Saturday morning.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Yeah, cinema is definitely dying...that's why Iron Man 3 is nearing $1 billion in worldwide box office takings in less than a month...:rolleyes:

But given the choice I'd prefer to see new releases sent via on demand services, cinema in the western world is quickly becoming an outdated concept. Once everyone is connected then I see no reason why cinemas other than the farty art house ones are needed.

And as for your Iron Man comment, takings are high because people want to see it but given the choice between on demand and viewing in the cinema then my belief is studios would prefer to cut the middleman and deal with the end user direct.

As for the cinema expierence, I'd rather do without sitting in a hall full of sweaty eating morons whooping and clapping at every dumbass point in the movie.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I've got a Cineworld Unlimited card and I find it value for money but I do go to the cinema every week.I also tend to go on a Saturday or Sunday morning to avoid the crowds and so I can enjoy the film!

I do think that cinema have a place but I agree that in the future it maybe a dual VOD/Cinema release.However the VOD will properly be the same as the cinema prices as the studios will not want to lose out on money that they earn from cinema ticket sales!

I'm sure I read that cinemas chains don't actually make any money from ticket sales and make their money from food and drink sales.I don't actually buy any food or drink in the cinema as I tend to bring my own but it seems that the majority of people do but food and drink in the cinemas!
    Forum Member
    But given the choice I'd prefer to see new releases sent via on demand services, cinema in the western world is quickly becoming an outdated concept. Once everyone is connected then I see no reason why cinemas other than the farty art house ones are needed.

And as for your Iron Man comment, takings are high because people want to see it but given the choice between on demand and viewing in the cinema then my belief is studios would prefer to cut the middleman and deal with the end user direct.

As for the cinema expierence, I'd rather do without sitting in a hall full of sweaty eating morons whooping and clapping at every dumbass point in the movie.

That's your personal opinion, but i think you'd find that the number of people who would rather go to a cinema to watch a film will vastly outnumber the amount of people who want to just sit at home and get the movie via VOD and watch it on their lonesome. It's not just the film, it's the social experience as well, and no matter how hard you try you simply cannot recreate the cinema going experience in your living room. For example, watching John Carpenter's Halloween in an audience of fully engaged and tense cinemagoers completely annihalates the experience of watching the same film at home. Same goes for midnight screenings which have an amazing atmosphere.

And for the record, i think i can count on one hand the amount of times that i've had an annoying audience during a film at the cinema. It's really not as big of a problem as some people suggest, at least not in my experience (and apparently the Cineworld that i go to is one of the top 3 busiest cinemas in the entire country which i've frequented at least once a week for around 5 years now).

I don't think for one second that studios would prefer a VOD only future, cutting out the middle man or not. I strongly doubt that film studios make anywhere near the amount of money from VOD releases as they do from a film's theatrical run.

I think it'll be a very long time before cinema dies, certainly not 10-15 years as has been suggested in this thread.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

I have a very decent home cinema setup including 3d but I'd still much rather go and watch a film at the cinema. I'd still prefer to go even if the same film was available on demand for a fraction of the price at home.

There is just no comparison. It's like seeing a band live and listening to a live CD of the same gig, one is fundamentally less enjoyable an experience. The attendance figures in the UK show no sign of dropping despite the recession and increasing availability of on-demand services. Cinema is not going away any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really cannot grasp why anyone would want to watch anything as a stream or download when you can go and watch it at the cinema. The picture quality is not as good as a Blu-ray disc as is the sound. Even worse is watching a film on a tablet or a phone!

I have an Unlimited card and I go around 6 times a month, which works out at about £2.50 a visit. Well worth the money and I can see myself being a cardholder for many years!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    I have a very decent home cinema setup including 3d but I'd still much rather go and watch a film at the cinema.

Walking up my road and peering into people's living rooms, I'd say most people don't have a very decent home cinema set-up. They have a 32 or 42-inch TV, a sofa facing in slightly the wrong direction and Lego on the floor. Watching a film on a small screen with a plate of curry on your lap is a great way to chill on a Saturday but it's no compettiton for the full-on big screen experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Walking up my road and peering into people's living rooms, I'd say most people don't have a very decent home cinema set-up. They have a 32 or 42-inch TV, a sofa facing in slightly the wrong direction and Lego on the floor. Watching a film on a small screen with a plate of curry on your lap is a great way to chill on a Saturday but it's no compettiton for the full-on big screen experience.

The biggest no-no is people who put the television in the corner of the room, I can never understand that. You would never be sitting directly in front of the screen and the acoustics for the surround sound would be out of balance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Cinema is still cheaper than going to Nandos, football matches, theatre, bowling and all other eating and viewing activities.

Not sure why people always complain about it, its like the football industry where they increase the season ticket price yet there's always massive queues in line for people signing up.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Smeg wrote: »
    why buy grub in there, bring your own like most do
    I'm sure that they used to completely forbid that in their terms of entry, but it doesn't appear to be the case anymore:
    2.2 Alcohol and Food Policy: Neither alcohol nor hot food may be brought onto the premises. Only hot food bought on the premises may be consumed on the premises. Alcohol may only be purchased and consumed in Cineworld licensed bar areas or in licensed screens and licensing laws will be strictly enforced.
    So I guess the answer is if you want hot food or alcohol you need to buy it there, but feel free to take your own soft drinks and cold food.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I decided to go and see a film at my local Odeon tonight it would cost me:-

£8.95 admission fee (or £9.45 if bought online)
    +£2 if it's a 3D film
    +£1 for 3D glasses
    + £4 (approx.) for petrol for the 30 mile round trip

There are various other options available at the cinema (such as enhanced seating) that add more expense on, but I'll leave those out of it.

Also, there's no guarantee that I'll be allowed to enjoy the film. My viewing of 'Skyfall' was ruined by a group of very noisy disabled cinema goers. I've only been to see one film there since.

Back in the late '80s and '90s I used to go twice a week, every week. I would go and see a new film every Friday afternoon after work, then go and see another film with friends on the Sunday evening. Good times. I think I'm finished with the cinema for good now, though. It isn't worth the expense and potential hassle.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I do not go to Cineworld very often these days because of the rip off charges. However, I made an exception today cos being a Trekkie I wanted to see the new Star Trek movie.

Damn good it was too.

However, for a concessionary ticket and a jumbo hot dog I was charged a whopping £11.15.

Now, many of you will say, "well, if you do not wish to pay the price, just do not go."

Which is a fair comment. Now, it has been recently announced that family incomes in the UK are some of the lowest in Europe and have been sliding down the income scale during the past eight years. So, if businesses wish to compete and get their customers in, they should seriously think about reducing their prices. Rip-off Britain needs to be buried once and for all.

You weren't ripped off, you had a choice on whether to buy extras on top of your ticket. The standard ticket is £7.90 (10% less if booked online) so I imagine your concessionary ticket was cheaper. If you hadn't bought a hotdog the cost is perfectly reasonable.

Cineworld are the cheapest around and don't charge any extra for 3D as Odeon do and only charge 80p for 3D Glasses which you don't even need to buy once you have already got a pair
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    Cineworld are the cheapest around and don't charge any extra for 3D as Odeon do and only charge 80p for 3D Glasses which you don't even need to buy once you have already got a pair

It might depend on the cinema, but Cineworld DO charge extra for 3D, not including the 80p for the glasses it's an extra £2.10 on top of the Adult ticket where i am (£1.50 extra for Unlimited customers, although they drop the extra 3D charge once you become an Unlimited Premium customer after you've been with them for over 12 months).

Cineworld are still the best of the current mainstream cinema chains in the UK though in my opinion, the Unlimited card is fantastic value, i went 9 times last month and only paid £14.99 for the month (not including the added IMAX charge, but it still works out a hell of a lot cheaper than if i'd paid full price, i can't exactly sniff at only paying £4.22 to see The Avengers/Iron Man 3 midnight IMAX double!).
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not bad.

My local Empires cinema, with comfortable seats and packed with fully digital calibrated cinema screens. tickets £5 or 2 for 1 wed on the nights I can actually go, the 50 mile round trip costs less than a fiver in lpg in half with a mate.

not bad really for a new movie, I've got a 25 mile round trip to a nearest block buster now, and the tickets are only £1.50 more than rental.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will i was going to watch gravity at the cineworld this sat but after looking at the prices no way ticket , glasses, IMAX £15 each you must be joking:eek: will wait a few months and get the blu ray
  • vacumtoobsvacumtoobs Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will i was going to watch gravity at the cineworld this sat but after looking at the prices no way ticket , glasses, IMAX £15 each you must be joking:eek: will wait a few months and get the blu ray

Hope you have an 80ft telly then :rolleyes:

But seriously,went and saw Gravity (3D)today,being the wrong side of 59 and 3/4s got two "senior" tickets for about 16 1/2 quid...only downside was 4 quid for packet of popcorn and small ,though quite large really,Coke drink for the two of us.......... should also mention the Coke was about £2.50,could have got 2 1/2 huge bottles for that in local Pound store,but then u wouldnt have got to see Sandra Bullock in her underwear:)

To be fair to Cineworld,even if u dont get a age discount,they also do "Bargain Tuesdays", about 15 % off...............
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vacumtoobs wrote: »
    ...only downside was 4 quid for packet of popcorn and small ,though quite large really,Coke drink for the two of us.......... should also mention the Coke was about £2.50,could have got 2 1/2 huge bottles for that in local Pound store...
    Take your own drinks & snacks - it's not excluded from the T&Cs anymore (only alcohol and hot food).
  • vacumtoobsvacumtoobs Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Take your own drinks & snacks - it's not excluded from the T&Cs anymore (only alcohol and hot food).

Oh,didnt realise they had stopped "frowning" on taken in food n drink...........Ive done it abit in the past,didnt on this occasion,partly 'cause treating a friend and didnt wanna look a tight fisted git !

Incidently,according to their web site,"new" prices from Nov 20th........wonder if they are going down:rolleyes:
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't like the idea of chomping on hot food at the cinema anyway, a pack of mints and a drink does me fine. I'm an Unlimited member at Cineworld, and it's well worth the money. I usually watch 3-4 films a month, and being able to book online and avoid any queues is fantastic.