One word you detest at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Dave.

David Cameron annoys me and David Beckham bores me enough to annoy me, but the people who insist on calling them Dave annoy me more.

That reminds me of Trigger on Only Fools And Horses (calling Rodney Dave) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »

If I must though stay on topic, how about 'jealous'. All users should be sent to prison and refused food and water and not be let out until they understand that one is jealous about a thing one owns and envious of a thing one does not own.
    Dear John, I am afraid I recognise a lost cause when I see one.
    count_drac wrote: »
    Parties. As in '...suchabody parties in West London till dawn.' Why not just say 'drinks herself stupid.'
    Yes! And similarly, though it won't fit into one word with 'works hard and plays hard'. It means 'has a highly paid job and spends obscene amounts of money on food and drink.'
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Also those utterly stupid fanbase names like Beliebers etc

There's too many tbh!

I have a soft spot for the Beware of the Flowers motorcycle club.

'Bliar' in a sentence about Tony Blair is an infallible guide that something absolutely cretinous is about to follow.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YaffiYuk wrote: »
    Moist.
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Misogyny/misogynist. Though I never hear or see them used other than on DS, thank God.

Edit: And panties of course, but that goes without saying! *shudder*

What is wrong with moist panties?
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Dave.

David Cameron annoys me and David Beckham bores me enough to annoy me, but the people who insist on calling them Dave annoy me more.

Yes, there are far more creative names for Cameron.;-)

Another horrible word just seen on an ad: "succulent".:cry:
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Heat.
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hubby.

When people use that word a bit of sick appears in my mouth.
  • Options
    marclamarcla Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guff.

Someone changed one part of my name to it and it sounded like C**t..
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hubby.

When people use that word a bit of sick appears in my mouth.

On a similar note, I dislike the term partner.

At the risk of a backlash, I feel it is a term created to be used as a generic term for same sex couples to use, but now there is much greater acceptance of same sex relationships, I see no reason why partner needs to be used, when they can simply use the actual term such as husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend.
  • Options
    YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    What is wrong with moist panties?

Nooooo!!!! Wrong. Just wrong
  • Options
    DiscoPantsDiscoPants Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    squelch, partner, guy, anyways, hunk, romp, rumpy pumpy >:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    DiscoPants wrote: »
    rumpy pumpy >:(>:(>:(

Ooh be careful DiscoPants, I got shamed for using two words earlier!!!!! Edit and stick a hyphen in quickly before anyone else notices😝!!!
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At the risk of a backlash, I feel it is a term created to be used as a generic term for same sex couples to use, but now there is much greater acceptance of same sex relationships, I see no reason why partner needs to be used, when they can simply use the actual term such as husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend.

but then again, you could say the very fact that same sex relationships have become more acceptable, is more reason to use the word as its not really necessary to differentiate.

On a similar note, I dislike the term life partner. Whats the point, just say you're together
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    'Lol'
    When people actually say the word, out loud. Instead of actually laughing - like any normal person. It's down right rude! I won't lie and say I haven't given someone a slap across the back of the head each and every single time they said it - until it was eventually beaten out of them.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Ooh be careful DiscoPants, I got shamed for using two words earlier!!!!! Edit and stick a hyphen in quickly before anyone else notices😝!!!

:D

For me, it's 'totes'. My colleague uses it all the bloody time. Urgh.
  • Options
    Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Guys.

Hey guys!

Would you guys like to order?

How'z it going, guys?

How has this word become acceptable when it only used be said by prats like Rick in The Young Ones?

Good to know I'm not the only one! When did it become acceptable to refer as women/a woman as guys? idiots!
  • Options
    Ms ScarlettMs Scarlett Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Babymother/babyfather >:(
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    Firstly.

Like in a list when people say firstly, secondly, thirdly... No! First*

:confused: - It's not incorrect though, is it?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must admit to having it used it myself, only because I feel like a bit of a dick saying "boyfriend" at my age :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    ARYM wrote: »
    Pamper
    Diva
    Legend>:(

i cant stand legend either. But its even worse when people can't even be bothered to say that and shorten it to 'ledge'! (or however you would spell that)
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robust.......
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s a toss up between "cray cray" [seriously, what?] and "amazeballs" even my grandchildren cringe at them, thankfully i don`t know anyone who`s sad enough to use either.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    kiviraat wrote: »
    :D

For me, it's 'totes'. My colleague uses it all the bloody time. Urgh.

and that.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Selfie.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    A word i don't detest, but getting fed up , as it's overused is ...'amazing'......"went to a show it was amazing" "the holiday was amazing" "my friends are amazing"....ARGHHH!!
    '

When I was working a number of customers would respond with the word "brilliant" when I completed the most mundane and unspectactular of tasks. I suppose it's a lot better than being criticised but nevertheless it was a bit "over the top".
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

"Partner" has been used for a long time for opposite-sex couples too. I don't like it much either, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative term for a couple who live together but aren't married. "Boyfriend/girlfriend" doesn't convey the impression of a long-term committed relationship, and isn't really suitable for an older couple anyway.