The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Agree, it was silly not to schedule it after Strictly, but no doubt CBB would have built throughout tonight, quite a lot I reckon. There was too many things happening reality TV wise tonight, but I got to say, all thee shows were spoken about a lot on Twitter.

But I haven't watched Strictly yet, but have heard it was really good, also X Factor was very good and enjoyed CBB more tonight than for over a week, so quality wise, I think these shows did very well.

If I was to predict on a bunch of stuff tonight.... (incl +1 for those that have +1)

BBC1:
    Strictly- 8.2m
    The Village- 4.8m

BBC2:
    Dragons Den- 1.9m

ITV:
    X Factor- 7.7m
    Suspicions of Mr Whicher- 3.8m

CH4:
    Houdini- 1.7m

CH5:
    Celebrity Big Brother- 1.6m

X Factor and CBB will have got a high +1 rating IMO, X Factor around 600k and CBB around 250k.

I think Houdini will bomb? I'm not sure if it was wise to launch it in such a packed day
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackc1806 wrote: »
    I think Houdini will bomb? I'm not sure if it was wise to launch it in such a packed day

Could do, but it seems like a show that entices the likes who don't really watch things like X Factor and Strictly. But no idea.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Strictly. Yes its a bit of fun, light entertainment. Tess Daley is a bit irritating though.

I'd be interested to see a clash between BGT v Strictly (both in the same ratings and light ent. ballpark) and The X Factor v The Voice UK.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DSRPG Average Predictions (exc. +1 where applicable)
    Coronation Street: 6.3m
    Strictly Come Dancing: 7.7m
    The X Factor: 7.4m
    The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: 4.4m
    Houdini: 1.4m

Overall I think the ITV shows look slightly too high and Strictly slightly low.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon STV will still show the X Factor this year then launch the Scots Factor next year.
    yipee, that's one reason to stay south of the border. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know we're all predicting SCD and XF in the 7-8m ballpark, but it would be quite amusing if both came in below 7m, to be underwhelmed. Its like Our Zoo night.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    True. Makes it kind of pointless really. ;):p:D

Moving on from the cheap jibes...
    ;-)
    C14E wrote: »
    Yes but that's because The Voice acts are generally very poor and nobody wants to buy the singles. ;-) If they had their way they'd be all over the charts. There's one X Factor act in the top 40 at the moment and the song is brilliant (by far the best song from any RTV act in a long while). The fact it's an X Factor act doesn't mean it's somehow ruining music, whatever the hell that actually means.

Maybe in a world without X Factor we'd still be getting Mr Blobby and Westlife at #1 for Christmas but I can't say I miss that too much. XF has only had 3 of the last 6 Christmas #1's anyway. And the non XF #1's haven't been new original Christmas songs.
    Oh no not Westlife :p
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Harry Judd's house was one of the houses.
    I knew it was coming up but wasn't sure when. Thanks for that. I will ITVPlayer it :)
    Just watched Strictly. Yes its a bit of fun, light entertainment. Tess Daley is a bit irritating though.

I'd be interested to see a clash between BGT v Strictly (both in the same ratings and light ent. ballpark) and The X Factor v The Voice UK.
    Not as much as Dermot :p
    I do like Tess actually. (and her Husband)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think tomorrow given XF +1 option and Strictly's 15 minute non clash, it would be fair if both were compared with +1.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the sense that English media is only really waking up to the whole thing just now so if there's a "no" vote I suspect it will be a bit of a non event outside Scotland. Whatever the result it'll be a huge deal North of the border because people are so invested in the outcome.

A "yes" vote however, will likely dominate news for a long time to come as the London media catch up with all the arguments and hypotheses that have taken place in Scotland for the past few years!

Also a bit of social media in action tonight... having not watched CBB for a week, I'm on +1 just now because of comments on Twitter/Facebook and even on this thread!
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Or is it because the BBC are, unlike ITV, restricted in how much promotion they can give the winners single? And not just because one of the companies who produce XF is the very same company which the XF winners get signed to, whereas Universal certainly don't make The Voice.

Anyway if we're really discussing The Voice little more than halfway through its break between seasons then it really is time for bed, goodnight.

Itv have nothing to do with the acts success after the show, Voice winners have done BBC shows including Strictly and The One Show in the same way that any Universal signed act might be booked on those shows (although to be fair, Andrea Begley wouldn't have been booked to anything without The Voice). Cowell and Sony certainly make a difference although Universal are the biggest label in the UK, they've just not been particularly interested in any of the acts delivered to them from the show so far.

But the point was that a small number of XF acts releasing singles doesn't ruin music, anymore than another show that poster champions which also puts out singles hoping to top the charts. It's all a bit off topic but I follow the charts as well as ratings so I couldn't help myself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know we're all predicting SCD and XF in the 7-8m ballpark, but it would be quite amusing if both came in below 7m, to be underwhelmed. Its like Our Zoo night.

However the ratings will come in, some will try and spin them as the best thing since sliced bread, some will try and say the shows are on the way out, some will just stir for the respective channels and some will get sick and tired of the same debate about programmes which will rate higher in future weeks anyway. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Sky (well, News International) got close to Labour when they were in government. Likewise they got close to the Tories when they took power as the dominant part of a coalition. With the result of the next election uncertain (hell, even the continuation of the United Kingdom uncertain), I can't see why Sky would be aligning themselves with anyone just yet. And certainly not Sky News whom I view as pretty fair and balanced.

Wouldn't that be expected on overnights, though, as the youth go out on a Saturday night but typically stay in on Sundays?

I watched the long one on Youtube. Loads of good stuff on there. Too spoilerish for a mainstream TV trailer though, I'd have thought, quite apart from the length.

7.55m was excluding +1. It was 8.20m including +1 and I suspect H favours the amalgamated measure. :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Things haven't got bad enough yet for TXF to now be in the same league as The Voice, i.e. the Championship of talent shows and not in the top tier.

I reserve the right to adjust this assessment overnight. *whistles innocently*
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Its important for TV that both shows stay strong. If ITV start suffering from ratings fatigue the BBC try less but up their game to a strong competitive "X Factor". Although both are rival shows, the TV landscape would be less interesting without either of them and their contest with each other. You kinda hope for good ratings for both and the sense that light entertainment TV is still alive and kicking in 2014. I worry that " Strictly Come Dancing" would be worse off without a rival.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However the ratings will come in, some will try and spin them as the best thing since sliced bread, some will try and say the shows are on the way out, some will just stir for the respective channels and some will get sick and tired of the same debate about programmes which will rate higher in future weeks anyway. :D

And then next Sunday it'll be like nothing ever happened because a new set of figures change the discussion entirely... :D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Its important for TV that both shows stay strong. If ITV start suffering from ratings fatigue the BBC try less but up their game to a strong competitive "X Factor". Although both are rival shows, the TV landscape would be less interesting without either of them and their contest with each other.

I agree, Saturday night television was a bit of a desert before these two came on and delivered very good ratings. Going back 11 years we still had clapped out Blind Date, Stars In Their Eyes and whatever shortlived dross BBC One had created to replace Noel Edmonds. Pop Idol sort of kicked off the reality/talent boom but was dead by 2004 and certainly never created the immense ratings TXF did in 2009.
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I agree, Saturday night television was a bit of a desert before these two came on and delivered very good ratings. Going back 11 years we still had clapped out Blind Date, Stars In Their Eyes and whatever shortlived dross BBC One had created to replace Noel Edmonds. Pop Idol sort of kicked off the reality/talent boom but was dead by 2004 and certainly never created the immense ratings TXF did in 2009.

You certainly don't need "X Factor" dying and leaving "Strictly Come Dancing" on its own to fight the light entertainment corner in the autumn. Fine if ITV has another big show, but I get concerned when "The X Factor" doesn't pull in mass audiences. I was encouraged by the World Cup audiences and "The Great British Bake Off" I hope that "Strictly Come Dancing" will buck the trend and rise this year. Its good to see bumper audiences in a fragmented TV landscape
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Its important for TV that both shows stay strong.
    Couldn't disagree more with this statement. I love TV because it evolves, not because it stays the same. Furthermore, I simply fail to see how TV generally would be weakened if a show as unprincipled and clapped out as X Factor were to end tomorrow.

Big event TV pieces will come and go on BBC and ITV, and for me it's time for some new ones to start coming through on the latter named broadcaster. At least the BBC has added Bake Off quite recently. Of course, that came from nowhere. I'm not suggesting it can happen for ITV overnight, but the extent to which they rely on a steadily declining X Factor depresses me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its important for TV that both shows stay strong. If ITV start suffering from ratings fatigue the BBC try less but up their game to a strong competitive "X Factor". Although both are rival shows, the TV landscape would be less interesting without either of them and their contest with each other. You kinda hope for good ratings for both and the sense that light entertainment TV is still alive and kicking in 2014. I worry that " Strictly Come Dancing" would be worse off without a rival.

I think it's easy to forget how poor Saturday night TV was before Strictly and The X Factor came through. It had hit a lull after the behemoths of the previous era had slunk off (to be revived a decade later, admittedly) and the two shows - well, Pop Idol before The X Factor - saw in a new look Saturday evening.

I have the feeling Britain's Got Talent will eventually move to the autumn and they'll rejig the structure of the show slightly to take over the weekends instead of a week of final shows.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    So both sides are out in force tonight as expected. Imo, Strictly (as much as I love it) will have to do very well indeed to beat XF tonight, the launch show is a bit of a nothing filler show, it would be very embarrassing indeed for traditionally some of the highest rating portions of XF to be beaten by what is an 75 minute walk on for the Strictly cast. Having said that it was a very well produced show, and bodes well for the forthcoming series.

I watched my first episode of X Factor tonight and was somewhat underwhelmed, its all a bit dull imo, the scripted responses, I'd disagree that the judges have any chemistry at all, in fact Cheryl looks very out of place there. Mel B is the star and she's being pushed aside at the moment, but she should be good value come the live shows I would think. The lack of any real stand out talent that I could see (and wtf is with the big screens in the greenroom and the scripted 'ooh, he's fit' etc... just show the damn audition!) It's still a big TV show, and is doing exceptionally well (It's own high standards are damaging it) but there's a negative feel about the show, and when that happens, I think its days are winding down
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't posted on here for a few hours but there's an awful lot of anti-BBC bitterness on here this evening. If the BBC was a car, it would have a huge scratch down the side of from someones keys.

And for all those crying into the cocoa about SCD clashing with XF, it's funny how those criticising it seem to fully support, and have found justifiable reasons, when ITV deliberately schedule ED against EE. The BBC's reasoning for the clash is dismissed as nonsense, whilst ITV's reasons are "poor old ITV, what else could they do? They had football to show!"

Just saying.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Absolutely correct. There are times when you wonder what people are actually arguing about. XF/SCD will do big numbers for their respective channels. Whether they are slightly up or down isnt that important. I am sure neither will be massively up or down anyway but if they are then we can pick the bones out of it. :D
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

With Grantchester night still to come. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more with this statement. I love TV because it evolves, not because it stays the same. Furthermore, I simply fail to see how TV generally would be weakened if a show as unprincipled and clapped out as X Factor were to end tomorrow.

Big event TV pieces will come and go on BBC and ITV, and for me it's time for some new ones to start coming through on the latter named broadcaster. At least the BBC has added Bake Off quite recently. Of course, that came from nowhere. I'm not suggesting it can happen for ITV overnight, but the extent to which they rely on a steadily declining X Factor depresses me.

There seems to be an element of cluelessness about where to go next with the Saturday night shows. BBC One's last 'hit' was... a singing show. Both Splash! and Tumble were/are spin offs from The Games and are/were not sustainable. The response seems to be quiz shows and remakes while hoping the current big shows can hold up at a decent level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

Really? I thought Pop Idol was huge in its day. It only stopped because Cowell wanted to do X Factor.

And let's not forget the original Popstars - that really kicked it all off. Its final ep saw massive numbers.

But yes, just before that, Stars In Their Eyes was dying, Blind Date was a Towie-esque smut fest and House Party was a shambolic, joyless mess.
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »

But your arguement for creativity and change contridicts continuing the 14 year old Big Brother format, which is much weaker than "The X Factor" and certainly an unprincipled format that exploits the vulnerable and mentally ill
This discussion has been closed.