Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    palladium will do better than samuel w thinks i presume. 8m is very good rating these days for x factor - 4.8 m for doctor who needs to be careful. rising star should we wait to see it before we slate it although people on here dont find that easy to do however. cillla will do ok but still lose to new tricks as well.
    Mark my words, Palladium will not hit the 4.5million excluding +1 target mark.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

Let's wait and see. You didn't get Tumble right! :D
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member

And you wonder why no one takes you seriously when you say things like 'mark my words'.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Let's wait and see. You didn't get Tumble right! :D

He is never going to live Tumble down is he? :)
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just to note doctor who is repeated thrice in the week twice on bbc 3 and once on bbc 2 sign zone, through the keyhole once and plus 1 twice and of course x factor multipially and out of primetime things are moved in scotland wales and ni at preference of local shows so makes tv ratings for these hard to garner and distinguish in a fair and accurate manner.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    And you wonder why no one takes you seriously when you say things like 'mark my words'.

Or when he finds these targets despite nobody anywhere from ITV/BBC making them publicly lol.

X Factor was poor tonight so I expect another drop, Palladium I agree with Samuel :o won't hit 4.5m exc +1 and could struggle including it. It will still probably do better than BBC's biggest light entertainment launch of the decade which won't be axed but 'rested indefinitely', or at least should be.

I don't understand Dr Who being below 5m but sure as always it will deliver in the officials.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Will you please stop using terms such as "Mark my words," "trust me" etc? It's like you've declared yourself as the ratings expert of the forum. If you were that then you wouldn't have got Tumble so horribly wrong.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »

Oh I don't know, he might get something else really wrong and then it will move to that instead :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was just now analysing the Six Nations 2015 rugby schedule. The reason is, as some of you know, the BBC has announced that they are launching a 4-part Strictly Come Dancing spin-off to air from March next year which involves members of the public. I believe it will launch after Six Nations finishes when space becomes available in their schedule, which would mean a Saturday 28th March launch date for The People's Strictly - which is bound to be a hit [even if it gets half the ratings of SCD's 9m, that's solid enough].

This, I believe will air in the 7pm slot, therefore will provide a fantastic lead-in for the final few weeks of the Voice UK. It will also be utilised against Saturday Night Takeaway to surpress its ratings, and perhaps even the launch or first two episodes of Britain's Got Talent. The BBC seem to be on the offense next Spring with the additions of The People's Strictly and The Generation Game. This seems to coincide with the BBC's recent strategy of airing big hitting shows in die-hard Itv slots to try and gain ground in these difficult slots. The BBC's Spring 2015 Saturday night schedule already looks much better than this year's one was.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Sunday Night At The Palladium wont rate well. Surprise Surprise launched its last series with 5.1million in the equivalent slot last year. But I bet SNATP does much worse. There is no demand for a genuine variety show on British tv these days. There has to be a strong narrative to a show, something like this with different guests every few mins just wont hook in an audience. This will get easily beaten by Countryfile which appeals hugely to the OAP masses [over 50pct of its audience are aged over 60]. The OAP masses who remember Palladium will be watching Countryfile and the younger generation dont know what Palladium was because theyre too young to remember. So this will end up rating around 3million, just above what previous variety shows on Itv have done like Comedy Rocks and On the Night [2008]. It's a flop.

Despite Samuels obvious usual anti itv agenda I think he's bang on with his analysis here. People are not even tuning in to see if a shows shit or not on itv at the moment. Itv should have put X factor on at 7 and neither they nor countryfile would have dented each other. Palladium would have got a decent inheritance AND possibly some of countryfiles audience flipping over and 4.5m could have been a realistic target.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Will you please stop using terms such as "Mark my words," "trust me" etc? It's like you've declared yourself as the ratings expert of the forum. If you were that then you wouldn't have got Tumble so horribly wrong.

He can say what he likes, if he's wrong take great joy in telling him that he is. The nonsense people get worked up about here. Jesus wept!
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just now analysing the Six Nations 2015 rugby schedule. The reason is, as some of you know, the BBC has announced that they are launching a 4-part Strictly Come Dancing spin-off to air from March next year which involves members of the public. I believe it will launch after Six Nations finishes when space becomes available in their schedule, which would mean a Saturday 28th March launch date for The People's Strictly - which is bound to be a hit [even if it gets half the ratings of SCD's 9m, that's solid enough].

This, I believe will air in the 7pm slot, therefore will provide a fantastic lead-in for the final few weeks of the Voice UK. It will also be utilised against Saturday Night Takeaway to surpress its ratings, and perhaps even the launch or first two episodes of Britain's Got Talent. The BBC seem to be on the attack next Spring with the additions of The People's Strictly and The Generation Game.

The seeming hatred of ITV is over the top. The relish that you have for the BBC destroying any ITV show is baffling. The BBC need strong competition to ensure they continue producing quality programmes.
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why should we listen to tumble he was extrordinary wrong about tumble as he about most of his itv tirades on itv shows as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    The BBC need strong competition to ensure they continue producing quality programmes.
    That is not necessarily the case. The term "a strong Itv is good for the BBC" was actually coined by an Itv staff member.

If you look at the ratings for the Tuesday 9pm slot, just as an example. Itv rate piss poorly most of the time there. And the BBC therefore air top quality highly expensive drama in that slot most year round, which ends up rating well and most of which gets recommissioned. Therefore, this is one example of how a weak Itv does not result in a weak BBC. On the contrary, Itv being so weak in this slot has seen the BBC air more and more drama in that slot over the last few years, and more of that stuff has been recommmissioned as a result.

The BBC will continue to produce high quality programmes, regardless of what Itv offers anyway. The BBC's programme budget is generally stable each year [until the licence fee is cut] and therefore the number of dramas and high end factual shows will remain the same as before. A "stronger Itv" does not necessarily mean the BBC will try harder. The BBC try hard anyway.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC will continue to produce high quality programmes, regardless of what Itv offers anyway.

So that being the case, why on earth do you take such personal delight in the BBC "crushing" ITV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    So that being the case, why on earth do you take such personal delight in the BBC "crushing" ITV?
    Because the higher ratings the BBC achieves by the weaking Itv ratings actually strengtens the BBC's argument to not have the licence fee abolished or reduced.

In previous decades, when there have been campaigns for the licence fee to be removed or reduced, the argument by anti-LF people has been that the BBC is not producing enough popular programmes. The BBC would always defend themselves by saying their output was of the highest quality but they could not say their output was the most popular [because at the time Itv was more popular]. That gave the anti-LF people ammunition to try and abolish it by saying that if BBC1's shows arent popular anyway, why should we pay for it?

Now the BBC are in a fantastic position to argue against its detractors by saying that not only do their produce high quality output which they have been doing for decades. But they also are producing very high rating and popular programmes [with BBC1 easily now being the nation's most popular channel], therefore strengething their cause for the licence fee to be kept.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much does Tony Hall pay you to churn out this stuff Samuel ?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »

He asked us to mark his words - we did. :D

I haven't watched The X Factor this weekend but I'm surprised the quality has dropped after a decent room stage. They must have changed tact but why?

The show performed reasonably well last night. Who struggled slightly, left abandoned in the schedule, but should make up for it in the officials.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    How much does Tony Hall pay you to churn out this stuff Samuel ?

Aha now I understand why he's so desperate for the License Fee to be protected - his wages would be the first to be cut. ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dont get me wrong, I can understand why people may think a strong Itv/commercial organisation is good for the BBC. But I hope people can sort of see and understand where Im coming from too.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Dont get me wrong, I can understand why people may think a strong Itv/commercial organisation is good for the BBC. But I hope people can sort of see and understand where Im coming from too.

We can, you just need to make sure your opinions come cross as just that, not facts.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you cant deny it is a statistical fact that XFactor's audience are more downmarket than SCD's and other shows like Great British Bake Off/The Apprentice/Masterchef etc. It has been statistically proven through demographics that about 55-60pct of XFactor's audience are C2DE's - the lowest sector in the socio-economic scale. SCD and GBBo's C2DE skew is less than 45pct, so they attract more affluent and higher educated [graduated] viewers. This is a statistical fact, Im not making it up.
    Yes more downmarket but not all downmarket.

And if you are classing C2DE as one sector, then you are right it is the lowest sector, of a grand total of 2 sectors. You are deliberately trying to mislead again.

The majority of the population is in that grouping. Being a C2 doesn't make you an uneducated chav, or whatever phrase started this off.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Because the higher ratings the BBC achieves by the weaking Itv ratings actually strengtens the BBC's argument to not have the licence fee abolished or reduced.

In previous decades, when there have been campaigns for the licence fee to be removed or reduced, the argument by anti-LF people has been that the BBC is not producing enough popular programmes. The BBC would always defend themselves by saying their output was of the highest quality but they could not say their output was the most popular [because at the time Itv was more popular]. That gave the anti-LF people ammunition to try and abolish it by saying that if BBC1's shows arent popular anyway, why should we pay for it?

Now the BBC are in a fantastic position to argue against its detractors by saying that not only do their produce high quality output which they have been doing for decades. But they also are producing very high rating and popular programmes [with BBC1 easily now being the nation's most popular channel], therefore strengething their cause for the licence fee to be kept.

A lot of the quality shows the BBC put out are made by independent production companies. These companies make shows for other broadcasters as well and one of the best ways to get a good price is to have competition. Weak itv means they can't bid as much, production companies have less money and take less risks. New formats will not be considered and general creativity will suffer. This will naturally negatively effect the BBC in the long term.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    He asked us to mark his words - we did. :D

I haven't watched The X Factor this weekend but I'm surprised the quality has dropped after a decent room stage. They must have changed tact but why?

The show performed reasonably well last night. Who struggled slightly, left abandoned in the schedule, but should make up for it in the officials.

I thought the X Factor was a good show again tonight, there is still some rubbish getting let through but I imagine they will get culled at bootcamp.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    The Scottish referendum vote poses a much greater threat to destabilising the licence fee and the future funding of the BBC than any ITV programme or ratings.
This discussion has been closed.