The last ship- season 1 (US pace)

new series starting on TNT tonight, about a virus that wipes out most of the world population, and the crew of a US navy ship trying to find a cure to save what's left of humanity

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    alexjones wrote: »
    new series starting on TNT tonight, about a virus that wipes out most of the world population, and the crew of a US navy ship trying to find a cure to save what's left of humanity

Yeah, I will check that out. It airs in Canada tonight -- on the "Space" channel.:)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck) plays the ship's Executive Officer.

It's based on a book (although the book has a nuclear war rather than a virus).
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please please please

NO love triangles or people being caught and escaping all the time.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please please please

NO love triangles or people being caught and escaping all the time.

I'm afraid that's a given in US genre shows more than ever these days :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as I saw Michael Bay's name on this show, I began to worry. From what I've read it sounds like it's going to be very action-heavy and light on character development, which is the way Bay likes it. I'm not expecting too much from this show. It could turn out to be one of those fun thrill rides like Prison Break and 24. Hopefully they will balance the action with character moments as non-stop action might work in a movie blockbuster, but it won't really work in a TV show.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched ep 1, and surprisingly quite liked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not too bad, but it did tick all the boxes for cliches for this type of show.

Could have done without the 'Where are you daddy?' video and the 2nd in command thinking it was a good idea for the crew to go find their love ones. rolleyes.

Feisty female scientist saves the world again.
    Forum Member
    It was perfectly okay, but no better than that. I will see how future episodes pan out.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    For a pilot, it's got me attached. I figured out the 2nd scientist quite early-on though, when he was playing around with the Rats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty dcent first episode. It's not the most original, but the pilot does set the story up well. Now let's see if they can build upon that.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed that. Sets up a compelling story, let's hope the following episodes can keep up my interest.

Didn't understand why they didn't at least send someone onto land to have a scoot around

Also, the nuke seemed to be thrown in a left hanging (so far) as an element of the story. Surely it wasn't just there to show how hard ass the captain is...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Also, the nuke seemed to be thrown in a left hanging (so far) as an element of the story. Surely it wasn't just there to show how hard ass the captain is...

The nuke could have been sent by the people who weaponised the virus, in an attempt to stop the ship from creating a cure.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lara Croft, Jane and Sloane + guns, deadly virus and global catastrophe - count me in for the duration. :)

btw: when the Russians were attacking the ship I did like how they used every different type of weapon they could to shoot them down, cos just using one would be boring eh ?!
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nuke could have been sent by the people who weaponised the virus, in an attempt to stop the ship from creating a cure.

Well I thought it was aimed at the ship first but then I thought it was targeting somewhere else. You could be right, maybe we will find out soon enough. Perhaps they are. Wing stalked by the Russians after all those guys in the Arctic must have come from somewhere.
    Forum Member
    I think Sniffle774 is correct in that the nuke wasn't actually aimed at the ship (else a second could have been fired) but instead, it had been launched at a landmass. From the image we saw, I'd guess the United Kingdom, France or maybe the Netherlands/Belgium?
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was pretty dreadful stuff.

Feisty female lead *yawn"
    90% of the world wiped and only we can save it *yawn*

I switched off after 20 minutes
    Forum Member
    geos wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty dreadful stuff.

Feisty female lead *yawn"
    90% of the world wiped and only we can save it *yawn*

I switched off after 20 minutes
    There is more to it than that, though if you switched off after 20 minutes it's understandable that you'd not know.
  • GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed that. Loads of cliches and you coudl figure out the second scientist was "evil" right from the start - he didnt get much screentime which always means in USTV that the character will provide a twist right at the end of the episode LOL (USTV procedurals always do this and its easy to guess who the killer was - always the random person who has a tiny scene and never appears again till the end LOL)

The story has a lot of potential. The pilot kept me interested enough to come back. Ratings-wise the show had a very solid debut int he US too!
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was OK. Will be interesting to see how it develops.
    Forum Member
    ...he didnt get much screentime which always means in USTV that the character will provide a twist right at the end of the episode LOL

Not necessarily. It can also mean the character will be killed (a Star Trek "Red Shirt"), and that is actually what I was expecting to happen.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Logan Five wrote: »
    I thought it was OK. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

BSG on a boat?:)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so far
    so unoriginal
    and the same old "let's set everything up in the first episode"
    formulaic stuff
    probably still watch it
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    so far
    so unoriginal
    and the same old "let's set everything up in the first episode"
    formulaic stuff
    probably still watch it
    :D

It certainly could've done with a feature-length pilot rather than a 45-minute pilot as the setting up of the story did feel a bit rushed. The characters needed time to react and come to terms with the global pandemic unfolding in front of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    It certainly could've done with a feature-length pilot rather than a 45-minute pilot as the setting up of the story did feel a bit rushed. The characters needed time to react and come to terms with the global pandemic unfolding in front of them.

Don't worry I'm sure we will get loads of 'on the boat' dialogue filled scenes with lots of soul searching and very little FX to blow the budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    BSG on a boat?:)

I would love it if the show developed into something complex and cerebral like BSG, but I doubt it given Michael Bay's involvement :D. One can hope though :).