Options

What are my chances of getting out of this parking fine?

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
On Friday afternoon I drove my family into the local town for tea and parked the car in a pay and display car park. It was slightly stressful as my newborn baby was noisily getting ready for a feed and my two older ones were whingeing and whining! I went to purchase a ticket and ran back to the car. I hastily put the ticket on the dashboard (I always put tickets on the dashboard as I hate cleaning off the resultant residue when you tear the sticky part off the screen/window) and started to help my wife get the baby and kids out the car. Then we left.

Upon returning to the car I saw that I had been served with a parking notice for failing to display a valid ticket. Puzzled, I checked the dashboard. To my annoyance, I realised I'd put the ticket face down so that none of the info about times etc was visible. I put this down to human error on my part and being distracted by other things e.g my noisy kids!

Obviously on the ticket there is information about how to challenge the fine. There is a postal address to write to and also an email address. I'm thinking my first port of call is to email them to explain the situation and attaching a scan of the parking ticket I'd paid for. Then, if they say they'll let me off, I'll provide the actual ticket through the post to them. I'm thinking that if I just send it off straight away, they'll conveniently lose it so I would have no evidence were I to appear in person to challenge it.

So I wondered what the chances were of them letting me off the fine? I did actually pay for a ticket after all and can provide that ticket. Will common sense prevail and they'll realise it was a simple mistake which doesn't deserve a fine? Or will they doggedly stick their guns and insist that my behaviour warrants monetary punishment?

By the way, it is a council car park, not a private one.

Thoughts welcome. :)

Comments

• Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't display it properly though, so there is nothing to challenge.

pay the fine, move on.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck but they wont be bothered, they will reiterate that you failed to clearly display the ticket properly (which is true) and insist the fine be paid.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just something to chalk down to experience. It's not worth wasting everyone's time appealing.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always worth appealing because a significant amount get overturned. Plus the clock stops on the doubling the fine (if its one of those thats less if paid in14 days).

Scan the ticket and email or write with a copy. Who is to say shutting the car door didnt cause a draught that blew the ticket over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Depends on the council. I appealed once and won. You've got nothing to lose so why not try?
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd appeal it, you will probably have to take the appeal to the independent adjudicator after the council inevitably refuse the appeal.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    It's always worth appealing because a significant amount get overturned. Plus the clock stops on the doubling the fine (if its one of those thats less if paid in14 days).

Scan the ticket and email or write with a copy. Who is to say shutting the car door didnt cause a draught that blew the ticket over.

You should check after closing the door that it's still displayed properly

I don't think you've got much chance. You could have found a valid ticket for that time period on the floor after you got back
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a very similar situation a couple of years ago where the draught caused by me closing the car door blew the ticket onto the floor.

I went all the way through the procedure of contesting the fine, all the while thinking that an honest mistake would eventually receive some leniency. I got nowhere!

The only good thing was that the procedure of contesting the fine took almost nine months and hopefully cost the council more than the fine I eventually had to pay.

If you've been offered a reduction to pay early, I would probably just pay up as I lost the initial reduction after exhausting the appeals process.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stopped a few months back when I got to my car in a pay and display by a man who offered to buy my ticket from me at nearly full face value.. When I asked why he didn't just buy one at the machine he said he'd forgotten to get one earlier and now had a parking ticket and wanted 'to prove to the council' that he'd had a ticket.

I guess the council and parking companies are wise to a lot of the tricks and providing a ticket doesn't prove you bought it unless it was one of those car parks where you need to put in your reg.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only good thing was that the procedure of contesting the fine took almost nine months and hopefully cost the council more than the fine I eventually had to pay.

Of course that means your fruitless appeals cost the council taxpayer lots of money. You call that a good thing?
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Of course that means your fruitless appeals cost the council taxpayer lots of money. You call that a good thing?

Yes I do.

The council had the opportunity to take a common sense approach and give me the benefit of the doubt.

They chose not to do this and I used the appeals process that was offered. I didn't have a history of anything like this before.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a very similar situation a couple of years ago where the draught caused by me closing the car door blew the ticket onto the floor.

I went all the way through the procedure of contesting the fine, all the while thinking that an honest mistake would eventually receive some leniency. I got nowhere!

If you've been offered a reduction to pay early, I would probably just pay up as I lost the initial reduction after exhausting the appeals process.

Again, it's your responsibility to make sure the ticket is displayed properly. It's not difficult to check after you've closed the door
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stopped a few months back when I got to my car in a pay and display by a man who offered to buy my ticket from me at nearly full face value.. When I asked why he didn't just buy one at the machine he said he'd forgotten to get one earlier and now had a parking ticket and wanted 'to prove to the council' that he'd had a ticket.

I guess the council and parking companies are wise to a lot of the tricks and providing a ticket doesn't prove you bought it unless it was one of those car parks where you need to put in your reg.

I'd have never thought of that - I was thinking if you bought a ticket and they didn't see it you would have a good case to fight it - but from what you say I can understand why now.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few councils now take photo's of the car when they issue the ticket so there won't be much scope to appeal but it may be worth checking the area to ensure that there is not some other excuse to appeal the ticket under
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Don't let it go to arbitration, Hugh. The tribunals aren't interested in mitigation, it's just black or white to them. Instead, ask the council if they'll let you off, seeing as you did pay. And you are a voter. ;-)

It worked for me, albeit a long time ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the response people. :)

I hear what people are saying about it being your duty to ensure you've displayed the ticket properly and that there's no excuse for not doing so. However, I'm of the opinion that there are sometimes circumstances where human error means you just don't do that - and I believe in such circumstances a bit of common sense should prevail. Whether it will or not....well it seems from the experiences of people on this thread that it probably won't. I shall definitely be trying however, and hoping that my email goes to someone who is able and willing to apply said morsel of common sense.

As for the idea that I could be using someone else's ticket to try and weasel out of the fine. Well I would take exception to that if they suggested that's what I'm doing. I would see that as them questioning my integrity and I would definitely pursue it and "have my day!"

Thanks again for the replies. And for any more that may come.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »

It's always worth trying and I once helped someone get their fine cut in half (long story) and in this case I'd suggest emphasising that the ticket was on proper display on the inside of the window but became detached of its own accord while everyone was out of the vehicle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

I hear what people are saying about it being your duty to ensure you've displayed the ticket properly and that there's no excuse for not doing so. However, I'm of the opinion that there are sometimes circumstances where human error means you just don't do that - and I believe in such circumstances a bit of common sense should prevail. Whether it will or not....well it seems from the experiences of people on this thread that it probably won't. I shall definitely be trying however, and hoping that my email goes to someone who is able and willing to apply said morsel of common sense.

As for the idea that I could be using someone else's ticket to try and weasel out of the fine. Well I would take exception to that if they suggested that's what I'm doing. I would see that as them questioning my integrity and I would definitely pursue it and "have my day!"

I think the difficulty for the council is how do they distinguish between those who genuinely did pay for the ticket but through human error, didn't display and those who are clearly chancing their luck.

unfortnately the only real answer is that they can't distinguish between the two, at least not without setting a precedent and therefore they have to have a black and white policy on it!

although i can feel your frustration, it is a 'pay and display' so admittedly although it was a mistake, you didn't display the ticket and therefore they're completely within their rights to fine you.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the idea that I could be using someone else's ticket to try and weasel out of the fine. Well I would take exception to that if they suggested that's what I'm doing. I would see that as them questioning my integrity

Of course they're questioning drivers' integrity. That's why they check the tickets! Otherwise it wouldn't be "pay and display", more "we'll just trust you to pay".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Of course they're questioning drivers' integrity. That's why they check the tickets! Otherwise it wouldn't be "pay and display", more "we'll just trust you to pay".

I see a difference between checking tickets and actively accusing someone of lying and being deceitful though.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see a difference between checking tickets and actively accusing someone of lying and being deceitful though.

They're not though, are they? They may well believe your excuse, but that still doesn't get you off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    They're not though, are they?

I know they're not. The post you quoted me on was my thoughts on the idea that I might be accused of such a thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Was the ticket issued by the council or by a private parking company? If it were the council then I doubt you will get anywhere. They also do not care if it was a genuine mistake or not. As someone else said, black or white as far as parking companies are concerned.

If however it was a private parking company then you may have a chance depending on which company it is but it's important you don't email them anything! Read through the threads on the forum below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

I once received a PCN for overstaying at Luton airport which with their help was cancelled.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and yet you had no problem questioning their integrity in your opening post, suggesting that they might "conveniently" lose your ticket.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think it's worth appealing. I took my elderly Mum out one day bought a ticket, got her out in the pouring rain which was a slow process and put the ticket in my pocket!!

I was able to give them ticket number, details etc. and they let me off.