Favourite Monty Python film?

JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,839
Forum Member
✭✭
As the title says, what's your favourite Monty Python film?

Did some quick research to make sure I didn't miss anything and found a film called And Now for Something Completely Different.
The film, released in 1971, consists of 90 minutes of sketches seen in the first two series of the television show. The sketches were remade on film without an audience, and were intended for an American audience which had not yet seen the series.

Not sure if I've seen this, but have included it in list if you should wish to vote for it.

For me, it's a close decision between the Holy Grail and the Life of Brian, but have opted for the later.

Favourite Monty Python film? 55 votes

And Now For Something Completely Different
5% 3 votes
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
34% 19 votes
Life of Brian
50% 28 votes
The Meaning of Life
9% 5 votes

Comments

• JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll added.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life of Brian for me.

I also really like Holy Grail, but I think I've watched it too many times. I've never seen And Now For Something Different so will look out for that, and I'm not overly keen on Meaning of Life though perhaps I should give it another chance and see if my opinion on it changes. Life of Brian is excellent though, it just doesn't get old and it is so funny. I always notice something different to laugh at on every viewing too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail, probably seen Spamalot more times than is decent, probably know the dialogue as well :-)
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    Life of Brian is probably the more coherent and accomplished film, but I'm going with Holy Grail as it has better gags.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabberwocky.

because of the mud

only 2 pythons in cast but still a python film.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love 'Holy Grail' but my favourite has to be 'Life of Brian'. It's a true classic.

Shame it's not on TV more. I haven't seen it for quite some time. 'The Meaning of Life' seems to be on a lot but it's the one Monty Python movies that I've never taken to.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Meaning of Life is easily my favourite.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life of Brian, easily.

One of my favourite cinema memories is seeing a re-release of Life of Brian at the Cambridge Arts Picturehouse a few years ago.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life of Brian is an out and out classic. The other films are all entertaining and have great moments, but Brian is a great film period.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Life of Brian which is a top quality film followed by Grail.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most would go for Life of Brian due to it's more straight plot and some great scenes and quotes but for me I just like The Holy Grail more. I like it's pure daftness.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who voted for And Now for Something Completely Different? Come on, own up. :)
    spiney2 wrote: »
    jabberwocky.

because of the mud

Don't think I've seen that, but checked IMDB was saw this.
    Director Terry Gilliam insisted early on to include the caption, "Definitely NOT a Python Film," in advertisements.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Brian is a great film and has better satire/story, but I like Holy Grail more for some reason, its even funnier and more silly :)
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was younger I would have picked Holy Grail, but I can't be bothered with that now, whereas I still enjoy re-watching LIfe of Brian. Meaning of Life has a few good scenes/sketches, but I wouldn't want to sit through it all again.

Life of Brian
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    The Holy Grail, by some distance.

Life of Brian is very good, but Holy Grail for me is far more 'Pythony'. Plus it makes me laugh the most.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely The Holy Grail for me. I first saw it when I was about 8 or 9 and didn't understand a lot of the jokes but I liked it instantly because it was so silly. Over the past 10 years I've probably watched it 30 times, easily. I've also seen the other MP films multiple times but HG takes the cake.

What I love most about MP is how they combine intellectual humor and such out-and-out silliness, they do it brilliantly.

Second place is Life of Brian, and while I can see that it's a better film, I just can't give up first place to it. I love Holy Grail so much that I had shirts made for me and my husband when we turned 37. They say 'I'm 37, I'm not old!' on them. :D If I had more disposable income I'd probably have more memorabilia from the film, like mugs and keyrings.

Had you asked which member was my favorite I'd have to go with Michael Palin, followed closely by Terry Jones. They're all terrific of course.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meaning of Life. I know that's not a popular choice, but I love how dark it is. Also I like the fact that it returns to the sketches format.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    jabberwocky.

because of the mud

Except its NOT a python film.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Life Of Brian for me, their most complete film.

I love Holy Grail too, and I've come to love Meaning Of Life more as I've aged. It's got some tremendous stuff in it. 'And Now...' is ok, but most of the sketches work better in the context of the original show.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holy Grail. Was also Elvis' favourite film, strangely enough.
  • robtimusrobtimus Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    When I was younger, I didn't really take to the Meaning of Life, but having watched it again more recently, I found parts of it pretty funny, but still didn't get everything in it.

Life of Brian and Holy Grail are both brilliant, but I think I prefer Holy Grail for quotability and silliness
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Brian and holy Grail both equally. But I voted for completely different, because it's a better version of there sketches then the tv series.

The tv show just throws every zany idea at the wall both good and bad, but the film makes better editorial choices. Take the dead parrot sketch, the original version has a terrible ending, the movie version leads straight into the lumberjack song. It's just better.....
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Better ending for the Parrot Sketch, maybe, but I loved the barber's shop sketch that precedes the lumberjack stuff in the series.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like them all :) Meaning of Life gets a hard time but its full of great stuff which is surprisingly caustic at times.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meaning of Life is probably the best film from an artistic standpoint and has some tremendously funny moments, but for me, Holy Grail is the best. Absolutely bonkers from the start and endlessly quotable.