Options

Childhood Summer Holiday Destinations

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Where did you go your summer holidays when you were wee?

We went to Shoreham-By-Sea in Sussex for a fortnight every year to visit my gran.

We would drive down by car and it took two days to get there. One year I remember we took my other grandparents too - so that was my mum, dad, gran, grandpa, me and my sister, the luggage... and the cat...all in an Austin 1300.

Then one year my parents got really adventurous and took us to Scarborough.

I would love to go back to Shoreham. Is it still there? :)

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ireland - The family live there.

My parents worked too much for us to go away for more than about a week. The rest of the holiday I was entertaining myself! It isn't so bad. When talking to yourself, you always get the answer that you want! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always went to north Wales Rhyl, Or Towyn loved going there with the family, Especially when my Granddad was alive they were good days love em we use to go sometimes 2 or 3 times a year, We had our own caravan on a campsite! I still go to Wales now as a adult Lovely place :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandy Bay. Exmouth, Devon
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canvey Island.

Took a bus from Southend as I recall.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butlins in Barry Island, went there about 4 times and absolutely loved it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Italy when I was three to see the family.

A caravan park with a kids club when I was seven in Great Yarmouth. I remember this place very fondly though it probably wasn't as fantastic as I recall.

And loads of daytrips on the ferry to the French coast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never went anywhere lol
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    France. Mum was a french teacher, so she always got school holidays off! She used to let us get bored, then entertain us - quite a good technique methinks!
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skegness, twice. After that we never went anywhere. Too damn poor:( Nothing's changed, haven't been on holiday since 1990.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People get the impression that the whole of the North West of England constantly spent all their time in Blackpool - not so, North Wales was a very popular destination.
  • Options
    Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Butlins in Barry Island, went there about 4 times and absolutely loved it.

Same here. Brilliant memories :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gwendolyn wrote: »
    Italy when I was three to see the family.

A caravan park with a kids club when I was seven in Great Yarmouth. I remember this place very fondly though it probably wasn't as fantastic as I recall.

And loads of daytrips on the ferry to the French coast.

GWN - Was it Vauxhaul? Big long piggin' road to get into G.Y. - lovely place but COLD!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We always went to Dawlish or Teignmouth. Clotted cream ice-cream with clotted cream on top. Yum!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Paignton or Torquay in Devon:)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Scarborough.....always blimmin Scarborough!

Mind you we did like it as kids - the battle re-enactment on the lake in Peasholme Park, the outdoor water park, the play-park behind it (whose name I forget), the long walks around the headland, dodging the waves as they crashed over Marine Drive, the climb up to the castle, the hours in the arcades or down at the bandstand, daytrips to Whitby, Filey Brigg, Flamborough Head (to see the bloody Kittiwakes....again!), Robin Hoods Bay, Boggle Hole, NYM Railway..... *sigh*
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bovon wrote: »
    People get the impression that the whole of the North West of England constantly spent all their time in Blackpool - not so, North Wales was a very popular destination.

*cough* Cleveleys which is a couple of miles up the coast:)
  • Options
    BlackVarnishBlackVarnish Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went to Zante loads, before it became a rival for Faliraki, we went to Barmouth in Wales, beautiful place, a few times too, and went to the Lake District at least once a year.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neddy2000 wrote: »
    We always went to Dawlish or Teignmouth. Clotted cream ice-cream with clotted cream on top. Yum!

Good lord, the calories are ticking over in my mind. :eek: Sounds nice though.

I lived in Papua New Guinea for a large part of my childhood and teenage years so holidays were usually a trip home to Australia. Although one year we went to Hawaii and another to the Phillippines. My mum worked for Air Niugini and so we got very cheap airfares.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Yarmouth and Weymouth in a variety of caravans, bungalows and shalets
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *cough* Cleveleys which is a couple of miles up the coast:)

BW - Used to have the used car showrooms?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bovon wrote: »
    I spent a couple of good holidays in Blackpool as a kid. :D I remember going to Pontins (Middleton Tower), Devon and Great Yarmouth too. But yes, Towyn in North Wales seemed to our most popular destination.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to go to Scarborough. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    great yarmouth,every year
    we went with mum and dads friends and daughter,as their parents had some caravans on a site and we got a discount
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Scarborough.....

Mind you we did like it as kids - the battle re-enactment on the lake in Peasholme Park, the outdoor water park, ...

Yes they were doing that the year I was there too! And an It's A Knockout at the water park - Scarborough v Scotland......:D

I spent a lot of that holiday in the graveyard though. I was eleven and it was my Bronte Period. I sat at Anne Bronte's grave and meticulously drew it in my art pad. From different angles. And close up. "Incumbent" became my favourite word.

Odd child :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah Shoreham-by-Sea is still here! They knocked down the tower a few years ago though that used to dominate the harbour there.