Got engineer booked for repairing HD Box on saturday..............

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    What I kind of find worrying already that it seems to be taking ages i.e. I'm getting a Programme Symposis is Not Available message. He said give it time and it should come into life.

Programme synopsis is the last thing to get downloaded to the HDD and can take some time particularly if you are recording and watching another channel (during which no EPG download can take place). With the new EPG everything except "now and next" EPG data is downloaded to the HDD and accessed from there
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to various Sky installers who post on here, all Thomson boxes are supposed to have been removed from the service chain, and they shouldn't be providing them.

Firstly I've only seen one Engineer saying Thomson boxes have been removed but I keep getting them delivered and using them with no problems. This partly is due to the fact that the new UTL repair facility is second to none. They find a bad component and replace it going forward for every box of that type.

There were probably tens of thousands of faulty, unrepaired Thomson boxes continually doing the rounds, never getting repaired by the inept repairers - you're very unlikely to get a decent one..[/QUOTE]

Inept repairers! You must be joking, the quality of repaired boxes will soon be better than that of brand new boxes. I do love this everyone at SKY is incompetent, yet I'll subscribe anyway attitude!.

New repair policy is, If it goes through the repair loop 3 times it is then withdrawn and recycled not to be used again.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,338
    Forum Member
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Inept repairers! You must be joking, the quality of repaired boxes will soon be better than that of brand new boxes.

'Better than new' :p

Do you really believe that?

The new repairers may be better than the old ones (they couldn't possibly be worse), but any confidence in the Thomson boxes has long since been lost - which is a shame, as with the PSU upgraded, they are decent boxes.

Are these wonderful repairers now upgrading the PSU's?, or are they just ignoring it like the old ones did?.

Be interesting to see inside one, and see what the PSU is like.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Firstly I've only seen one Engineer saying Thomson boxes have been removed but I keep getting them delivered and using them with no problems. This partly is due to the fact that the new UTL repair facility is second to none. They find a bad component and replace it going forward for every box of that type.

There were probably tens of thousands of faulty, unrepaired Thomson boxes continually doing the rounds, never getting repaired by the inept repairers - you're very unlikely to get a decent one..

Inept repairers! You must be joking, the quality of repaired boxes will soon be better than that of brand new boxes. I do love this everyone at SKY is incompetent, yet I'll subscribe anyway attitude!.

New repair policy is, If it goes through the repair loop 3 times it is then withdrawn and recycled not to be used again.[/QUOTE]

Whilst I agree that the new repair centre is a major improvement on the old site, it is not without it's flaws and I have recieved a few dead and problem boxes from the new centre as well. What I will repeat and if our an shs installer you can access the component output brief on the extranet to see for yourself that the thomsons are being removed from the service loop. Again I'll repeat your tm should have advised you of this and all thomson pvr4's were to be sent back. Unfortunately no repair facility however good will ever get the confidence and reputation of a new box. The old policy was a 3 times in the loop then scrap as well but because they were paid for quantity of boxes repaired rather then quality it never happened that way.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Seems as if I kicked off a bit of a debate! lol :) Seems to be working OK so far. The symposis message disappeared (although I have noticed it's definety slower in the menu screens and what not) The Manual is only pics of the Old EPG. It's real test will be if it actually records things OK and actually stays on overnight (Which my samsung failed to)
  • philleesphillees Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I too had an engineer booked in for yesterday, after months of inputs dropping out and having to do a cold reboot. As soon as I mentioned it was a thompson box the engineer replaced it immediately with a shiny new Amstrad DRX890 :) When I asked about refurbed thompsons he said his company was refusing to fit them as there were so many problems! £65 well spent I think!
    Forum Member
    Um can somebody tell me if a box stuck on standby is a good thing? I got a funny feeling that the thompson faults you guys talked about may well have happened already which I've had to fix with a forced software update however that's lost me all my programmes in my planner :(
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,926
    Forum Member
    Um can somebody tell me if a box stuck on standby is a good thing? I got a funny feeling that the thompson faults you guys talked about may well have happened already which I've had to fix with a forced software update however that's lost me all my programmes in my planner :(
    Sorry, but you have been given an old box, which is dying.
    The power supply can be repaired or replaced, and with a better larger hard drive, they can be very good units with great picture quality, as mine now is.
    Why should you end up having to do that though?
    In your place I'd be straight back to Sky demanding a new replacement as compensation for the way you've been fobbed off with a ancient duff replacement for a box that was less than 12 months old.
    :)
    Forum Member
    Getting the system fault message again. Sounds like you we're right dave. He did say yesterday too that my dish is an english dish which is smaller? That don't make much sense. It's continuously restarting now aswell and taking a good 15 minutes to come back on and when it does it's only staying on for a couple of minutes. Tried a forced software update and what not. No joy. Forgot to add he's coming back out today too.
    Forum Member
    Getting the system fault message again. Sounds like you we're right dave. He did say yesterday too that my dish is an english dish which is smaller? That don't make much sense. It's continuously restarting now aswell and taking a good 15 minutes to come back on and when it does it's only staying on for a couple of minutes. Tried a forced software update and what not. No joy. Forgot to add he's coming back out today too.
    Good, I hope he's got a new box for you this time!
    Don't accept another Thomson. Even if it works for a bit longer than the one you've got seems to have done, it is very likely to fail sooner rather than later.
    Forum Member
    It is going to be a new box after all. He did replace the LNB outside and I have a better signal but he noticed it himself same probs before and he did admit that it was a refurb. 3rd time lucky hopefully :p
    Forum Member
    It is going to be a new box after all. He did replace the LNB outside and I have a better signal but he noticed it himself same probs before and he did admit that it was a refurb. 3rd time lucky hopefully :p
    Result!
    IMO it's what you should have had in the first place, whatever the law may say.
    Forum Member
    The way it's gonna work? He's talking to his Manager tonight and coming back tomorrow after he's finished. Guaranteed a new box though :)
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it's not 100% when he leaves get him to sign a statement to that effect if you can - for your recaim against Sky.
    Forum Member
    I am now the proud owner of a Amstrad DRX780. I was told that the thompson I had was a 1st gen HD box (with the old HD component connector) Shows how busted that other box was.
    Forum Member
    I am now the proud owner of a Amstrad DRX780. I was told that the thompson I had was a 1st gen HD box (with the old HD component connector) Shows how busted that other box was.
    Indeed so!
    Glad you finally got a new one.
    Forum Member
    The amstrads good boxes? Just curious
    Forum Member
    Oh and I also learned that the company (1st company) that do refurbs got dismissed because they weren't very good at doing refurbs LOL
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,338
    Forum Member
    The amstrads good boxes? Just curious

Not something I EVER thought I would say, but the current Amstrads are the best boxes :D
    Forum Member
    Not something I EVER thought I would say, but the current Amstrads are the best boxes :D

AH! :D The DRX780 recent?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Indeed so!
    Glad you finally got a new one.

Unlikely - probably around a year old as well as being a PVR4 against the current PVR5's.
    Forum Member
    Unlikely - probably around a year old as well as being a PVR4 against the current PVR5's.
    You may be right, but JSemple3 was promised that it would be a new one.
    How can he tell? From the carton it came in (if he's still got it)?
    Forum Member
    Came in a wooden box lol and he took it with the old box
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Zombie Sky Box!!!
    Forum Member
    I thought I had said wooden box LOL! I meant brown cardboard box LOL