UKIP supporters more likely to be racist

Comments

• jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    Not so black and brown racists may be very pro immigration.
    The numbers of those would be unlikely to affect the overall percentage much.
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    The numbers of those would be unlikely to affect the overall percentage much.

What evidence do you have for that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merely that the two are not completely unconnected.

Many things are not completely unconnected including my example. It of course does not infer anything about the overall outlook of Muslims nor does your example infer anything about the overall outlook of UKIP members, unless of course you are saying otherwise?
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Oh dear, oh dear.

There's nothing quite as sad as when someone voicing their opinion starts proclaiming they are being persecuted when someone has the audacity to disagree with them. It smacks of hypocrisy when you insist on having your say but try to cut off any further debate by implying any disagreement is "them" trying to shut you up.

Oh dear, oh dear,
    there is nothing quite as "sad" as someone accusing someone of being "sad" as well as totally missing both the context and the point,

lets look where it started shall we?

Originally Posted by WhiteFang

Exactly right. Wiseness comes with age and experience of life and governments. UKIP will be be pleased it gets lots of older supporters

To which I replied

Well this 60 year old would rather vote Tory than UKIP and I would bite my own hand off rather than let it put an 'X' next to a Tory name,

See what I did there? I put forward my own point of view and my own opinion, at no point did I attempt to take the 'P' out of the poster or try to 'sneer' at him for holding a different opinion to mine,

But my post got the following response,

Originally Posted by Camp Freddie

you must be getting forgetful in your old age. You forgot to mention the two things you dislike about the Tories that you include in every thread you go on !

Do you disagree that this comes across as a personal 'dig' or 'p1ss take' aimed at me because I don't share his opinions, the suggestion being that I am getting forgetful but not so forgetful that I don't know for a fact that I have mentioned the 2 things to which he refers at the very most, half a dozen times since signing up to these forums,
    Thats around 6 times from getting on for SEVEN THOUSAND posts, a long way from "every thread"I "go on" I'm sure you will agree?

I then respond to this, at best sarcastic, at worst personal and sneering attack with,

I know it's really terrible of me to have an opinion and to express that opinion, especially when it goes against the Tories and their supporters,

and I finish with giving him what he asked for,

and just for you, I despise the Tories, and always will, I 100% agree with Nye Bevan,

I totally uphold the right of anyone to disagree with me, but I do get sick of (some) posters who seem to follow me around either sneering, or taking the 'P' or putting words into my mouth, or telling me what I think, or asking me a question and answering it themselves,

and I have said many times, I will give back what I get, disagree with me by all means, but go out of your way to deliberately insult me, and I WILL retaliate,
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, oh dear,
    there is nothing quite as "sad" as someone accusing someone of being "sad" as well as totally missing both the context and the point,

Exactly right. Wiseness comes with age and experience of life and governments. UKIP will be be pleased it gets lots of older supporters

To which I replied

Well this 60 year old would rather vote Tory than UKIP and I would bite my own hand off rather than let it put an 'X' next to a Tory name,

See what I did there? I put forward my own point of view and my own opinion, at no point did I attempt to take the 'P' out of the poster or try to 'sneer' at him for holding a different opinion to mine,

you must be getting forgetful in your old age. You forgot to mention the two things you dislike about the Tories that you include in every thread you go on !

Do you disagree that this comes across as a personal 'dig' or 'p1ss take' aimed at me because I don't share his opinions, the suggestion being that I am getting forgetful but not so forgetful that I don't know for a fact that I have mentioned the 2 things to which he refers at the very most, half a dozen times since signing up to these forums,
    Thats around 6 times from getting on for SEVEN THOUSAND posts, a long way from "every thread"I "go on" I'm sure you will agree?

I then respond to this, at best sarcastic, at worst personal and sneering attack with,

I know it's really terrible of me to have an opinion and to express that opinion, especially when it goes against the Tories and their supporters,

and just for you, I despise the Tories, and always will, I 100% agree with Nye Bevan,

I totally uphold the right of anyone to disagree with me, but I do get sick of (some) posters who seem to follow me around either sneering, or taking the 'P' or putting words into my mouth, or telling me what I think, or asking me a question and answering it themselves,

and I have said many times, I will give back what I get, disagree with me by all means, but go out of your way to deliberately insult me, and I WILL retaliate,

Oh I'm sorry I must have imagined all those times you basically said the same old same old. I thought I had you on my ignore list, my apologies I'll put you back on.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm sorry I must have imagined all those times you basically said the same old same old. I thought I had you on my ignore list, my apologies I'll put you back on.

what the hell is an ignore list?
  • Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And bears sh*t in the woods.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, oh dear,

To which I replied

I'll bet you were reaching for your hankie as you typed that.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Conservatives are frightened of UKIP for the mere fact that they WILL lose votes from them. I don't think the smear campaigns will work. UKIP is a growing party and will have a big impact in 2015 General Election in some capacity.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And bears sh*t in the woods.

Which woods, I'll avoid them, I wouldn't want to get shot by mistake.
    Forum Member
    The fact that black and brown people are a minority would be a good start!
    Forum Member
    Many things are not completely unconnected including my example. It of course does not infer anything about the overall outlook of Muslims nor does your example infer anything about the overall outlook of UKIP members, unless of course you are saying otherwise?
    No, I'm not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that black and brown people are a minority would be a good start!

That is not evidence that is an assumption.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm not.

Then really it was a pointless thing to say in the first place.
    Forum Member
    That is not evidence that is an assumption.
    No, it's actually a fact! Black and brown people only make up around 10% of the UK population, so any racists amongst them who aren't anti-immigration would not make much difference to the overall figure.
    Forum Member
    Then really it was a pointless thing to say in the first place.
    OK, you win!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's actually a fact! Black and brown people only make up around 10% of the UK population, so any racists amongst them who aren't anti-immigration would not make much difference to the overall figure.

The assumption is that racists exist in each race in equal measure.
    Forum Member
    The assumption is that racists exist in each race in equal measure.

I wasn't making that assumption, but never mind. Let's leave it there.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    what the hell is an ignore list?

It's a feature on these forums, you can add users to it so you don't get to see their posts. Click on a user name -> view profile -> Add to ignore list.

I re-discovered it last week when JoNeil was/were very active and the engineer came back.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    According to the above survey UKIP supporters are more likely to hold racist views such as being uncomfortable with the idea of a non-white prime minster
    Sounds like the sort of survey The Guardian would do.

I wouldn't want a non white PM JUST BECAUSE HE'S NON WHITE. If there was a non white mp who I thought could run the country better than anyone else and has all the qualities that I look or in someone ie, wasn't paralysed by political correctness, puts Britain first, comes down VERY hard on immigration, wants out of Europe, then let's have them but you can guarantee that Labour, the Liberals and the Green party and all the rest of the lefties will be celebrating just because they're non white. These are the parties you need to worry about, these are the parties who put skin colour before anything else (usually brown). These are the parties who think anything less than bending over backwards for anyone non white or non British is racism.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member

What percentage of white people do you believe are racist and what percentage of "black and brown" people do you believe are racist?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a feature on these forums, you can add users to it so you don't get to see their posts. Click on a user name -> view profile -> Add to ignore list.

I re-discovered it last week when JoNeil was/were very active and the engineer came back.

Cheers for that. Don't think I'd ever use that feature myself - but I wouldn't be at all surprized if I've made a few FM's list :)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Sounds like the sort of survey The Guardian would do.

I wouldn't want a non white PM JUST BECAUSE HE'S NON WHITE. If there was a non white mp who I thought could run the country better than anyone else and has all the qualities that I look or in someone ie, wasn't paralysed by political correctness, puts Britain first, comes down VERY hard on immigration, wants out of Europe, then let's have them but you can guarantee that Labour, the Liberals and the Green party and all the rest of the lefties will be celebrating just because they're non white. These are the parties you need to worry about, these are the parties who put skin colour before anything else (usually brown). These are the parties who think anything less than bending over backwards for anyone non white or non British is racism.

What does 'paralysed by political correctness' mean? Surely political correctness is just refraining from being rude about people no matter how entitled you might feel to be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    What does 'paralysed by political correctness' mean?

Anything that involves positive discrimination in order to meet some weird notion of having to have a representative quota for starters.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Anything that involves positive discrimination in order to meet some weird notion of having to have a representative quota for starters.

I'd term positive discrimination just that: positive discrimination (and I'm not saying I agree with it; I largely don't).

'Political correctness', on the other hand, seems to be used as a catch all term for people simply thinking before they speak. I don't know why it is viewed with such horror by some people, but it seems to me that they like to portray this 'PC' world as one in which they're prevented from saying things. They're not. The truth is that people are free to say what they like as long as they're not inciting violence or hatred. If they still think that people are being 'paralysed by PC', then perhaps they ought to think about what it is they want to say, but feel they can't - and why.