Options

IDS on Politics show

tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
Forum Member
✭✭
I've never seen a performance like that, he needs psychiatric help.

I thought he was deluded but not as much as that.

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see it - any chance you can give us a bit more background?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I watched it. I thought he came across quite well. He certainly explained himself clearly.

I'd be interested to know what was deluded about it. As for the psychological help. Mental illness is not something to be so flippant about.
  • Options
    ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    I didn't see it - any chance you can give us a bit more background?

From about 16:30 onwards:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03wwwv0/Sunday_Politics_Wales_09_03_2014/

Apparently every set of figures Andrew Neil presented to him from various sources are wrong. From Work Programme outcome statistics to child poverty figures to money written off during the development of Universal Credit.

Everything's fine and doubters should stop being silly.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I watched it. I thought he came across quite well. He certainly explained himself clearly.

I'd be interested to know what was deluded about it. As for the psychological help. Mental illness is not something to be so flippant about.

Yet his Government with its polices and not taking the failings at ATOS seriously have not only don't just that but driven people over the edge. IDS has been nothing but flippant the hundreds of millions wasted on Dud projects the constant need to placate the right wingers. The non stop drivel of numbers that Grab the Daily Mail headlines only for various Watchdogs to demand a correction that never Quite make the front pages
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From about 16:30 onwards:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03wwwv0/Sunday_Politics_Wales_09_03_2014/

Apparently every set of figures Andrew Neil presented to him from various sources are wrong. From Work Programme outcome statistics to child poverty figures to money written off during the development of Universal Credit.

Everything's fine and doubters should stop being silly.

Despite giving a link to the programme you obviously didn't trust people enough to watch it and come to the "right" conclusion - you had to tell them what to think.

Me thinks IDS has you rattled because a lot (not all) of what he is doing is popular ........................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite giving a link to the programme you obviously didn't trust people enough to watch it and come to the "right" conclusion - you had to tell them what to think.

Me thinks IDS has you rattled because a lot (not all) of what he is doing is popular ........................

We all know if Gordon Brown had Wasted 100 million on Failed projects within the DWP the media wouldn't have stopped going on about it for years. Even now when ESA is mention the first thing "labour brought this into effect".

Its utterly Flabbergasting IDS still remains head of the DWP that's all its been in a series of Failures and botched launches yet has no problem about telling the nation on the need for tough choices as long as those choices only affect the working age population lets just ignore the older people as they are more likely to go out and vote.

Not only them the entire way the DWP is viewed is a joke they keep attacking the lower agegroup hoping something will work to lower the budget it needs. But with an Aging population even 12 year olds know more pensioners = more pensions
  • Options
    ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I gave the link to be helpful.

Does sharing my opinion on it mean I'm rattled? I thought that's what discussion forums were for.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You would say that. You are a supporter of IDS's policies.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which is why he needs help soon, denying a fact that is on a screen about 10ft tall behind him as not being true would only mean he is a liar then if he is not ill.

What would you say IDS is then ? Deranged or a liar ?
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Which is why he needs help soon, denying a fact that is on a screen about 10ft tall behind him as not being true would only mean he is a liar then if he is not ill.

What would you say IDS is then ? Deranged or a liar ?

BIB.No just a politician...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Universal Credit in comparison to the current benefits system
    "will always be better off"
    "millions will be better off"
    "and better off that they notice it"
    Not true under Universal Credit there are winners and losers. Transitional protection may protect existing claimants, but in the long-term many will be worse off than they would have been, and many new claimants will be worse off than they would have been.

For some the amount they are eligilble for will be less under Universal Credit than they currently receive. The obvious and hard to justify examples being the large reduction in disabled child element and the scrapping of the severe disability premium to severely disabled adults.

For some the withdrawl taper rate of benefits will be higher than under the current benefits system.

There will be 2.5 million winners, 1.4 million losers, and 2.5 million no change in entitlement. According to the ISF analysis. The losers are predominately couples with children and no working adult, and lone parents who are not working. The biggest winners predominately couples with children with one working adult.
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wouldn't say he came off a deranged. He came off as really boring and argumentative. How can every fact that was brought to him be wrong? To be honest there were times when he reminded me of a Ring Tailed Lemur
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wouldn't say he came off a deranged. He came off as really boring and argumentative. How can every fact that was brought to him be wrong? To be honest there were times when he reminded me of a Ring Tailed Lemur

That seems to be his politics more than anyone.
    He will deny a report or bring out some headline grabbing numbers
    either the DWP parliamentary committee will question or the ONS will demand a correction and its never heard again.

IDS is by far the worse the guy seems to spend his entire job being corrected on his numbers
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am quite happy for the Tories on this board backing IDS. I hope he stays as he is one of their biggest liabilities. If they don't win next year he will be one of the major reasons.

The only downside is that Labour will be back in power.
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Public Accounts Committee is wrong, the Office for National Statistics is wrong, the Institute for Fiscal Studies is wrong. I've never heard so much denial in the space of 20 minutes, IDS is deluded.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Morlock wrote: »
    The Public Accounts Committee is wrong, the Office for National Statistics is wrong, the Institute for Fiscal Studies is wrong. I've never heard so much denial in the space of 20 minutes, IDS is deluded.

As he once said it does not matter what the figures say, its what i believe. IDS is a very deluded man. Everyone else is wrong, and he believes he is right
  • Options
    stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't usually do politics but i saw that interview, don't know if he is misinformed or just nasty.

dont know many people on jobseekers but there is one guy i know who got made redundant.
    he was told to look for a job, he did, he even went door to door on the trading estates.
    then his money was stopped because he hadn't applied for ENOUGH jobs.
    he asked them' how will i eat'
    they replied,,,not our problem , try a foodbank.

i have no time for smackheads, But when decent people get made to feel like scum i think something is wrong.
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and the Policy Exchange, it's wrong too.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching it now and he either doesn't know that people who are sanctioned do not get hardship for the first 2 weeks of the sanction and that the minimum time for a reconsideration is 2 weeks or he's blatantly lying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    William Hague was on Andrew Marr this morning - might try and catch it later.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripe wrote: »
    don't usually do politics but i saw that interview, don't know if he is misinformed or just nasty.

He is a loathsome individual who has no idea what it is like to be poor.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William Hague was on Andrew Marr this morning - might try and catch it later.
    Don't bother - Billy Boy was just going through the motions. It's as if he had no control over British foreign policy and he's on gardening leave
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was like watching some sort of comedy sketch.

He did make some claim to have had the figures to back up his spurious denials but I think the dog had eaten them.

Andrew Neil was far too soft with him. I find it hard to believe even the most staunch tory supporter can take this idiot seriously or believe a word that he says. IDS is a liability to the Conservative party and more importantly a liability to the UK.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The man is a despicable slime.

I can't wait until he's kicked out of office.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The man is a despicable slime.

I can't wait until he's kicked out of office.
    Let's hope so.