Options

SHould Cylists be banned from the roads.

Comments

• Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    My uncle was saying this earlier. I do not have a much of an opinion on this but he believes cyclists should not be on public road at least not in cites especially as they do not have official training and insurance.

Granted that cyclists don't have to have insurance, but most cyclists also have a driving license, so they do know their stuff on the roads. And by and large, road traffic misdemeanors are by drivers - speeding, parking, bus lane and of course, crashes & pile-ups.

But hey, cyclists should not be on public roads?
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Fair point. In London you expect taxis, Lorries, vans etc. to be a problem. But to be honest, it was everyday motorists that were the real issue. For some reason some felt like the cyclists had absolutely no right to be there and drove accordingly.

This is probably the real issue. In Copenhagen particularly more people ride bikes than drive cars. The system works really well.
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A recent report said that far more people get killed or injured walking than from cycling or driving. The figures were shocking as to the number of deaths and injuries suffered by people walking on our streets caused by cyclists and drivers

There needs to more protection for pedestrians and as a start cyclists should not be able to use pavements. If you are going to cycle use the lanes or roads - pavements are for walking!

Sadly the motorists and now the cyclists have powerful support groups and there is nobody to represent the interest of walkers
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granted this is a bait thread but I think there is no place for a pedal cyclist on a national speed limit fast duel carriageway like the A40 which is pretty much a motorway standard road. The slip roads on these are particularly dangerous.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A recent report said that far more people get killed or injured walking than from cycling or driving. The figures were shocking as to the number of deaths and injuries suffered by people walking on our streets caused by cyclists and drivers

There needs to more protection for pedestrians and as a start cyclists should not be able to use pavements. If you are going to cycle use the lanes or roads - pavements are for walking!

Sadly the motorists and now the cyclists have powerful support groups and there is nobody to represent the interest of walkers

One of the main reasons for the increase in pedestrian deaths is the increased use of people listing to music on in ear earphones so they can't hear the traffic for one thing and seem to be lost in the music so just don't pay enough attention when crossing the road.

Commuting through town you see people crossing the road all the time without even paying any attention whatsoever, especially the students in my area.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In London most people hate cyclists I hear. My dad cheers when he is a bad mood
    when he hears a cyclist dies
    . My dad doesn't even drive.

If your 'dad' is as mentally unhinged as you're claiming perhaps he shouldn't be on the road?
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    If your 'dad' is as mentally unhinged as you're claiming perhaps he shouldn't be on the road?
    He doesn't drive thankfully. Through it means his abuse can be heard by bus passengers sometimes. Once he was swearing and ranting on a packed bus with many kids on board.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any way that having mirrors fitted to bikes is feasible

Seems strange that how important mirrors are to car drivers , that they are not thought important to cyclists

Training on how to navigate roundabouts would be helpful too

Mirrors would be little use, as they do not provide sufficient coverage behind. There is nothing dangerous about a quick look over the shoulder, especially as it gives anyone following another indication of what the cyclist might do. Motorcyclists despite having mirrors always do a life-saving check over the shoulder when turning right, given the number of drivers who overtake someone attempting a right turn.

I agree that better advice (perhaps road markings?) about certain roundabouts and junctions would be useful. The problem is where markings are in place, they often make it more dangerous - one near us has a cycle path on the perimeter of the roundabout meaning cyclists wanting to turn right have to cross two sets of busy roads.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make faces at cyclists (childish but I don't care) as I pass them coz they pee me off so much. Wobbling about everywhere, wearing their ridiculous lycra outfits and thinking they own the road.>:(
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My uncle was saying this earlier. I do not have a much of an opinion on this but he believes cyclists should not be on public road at least not in cites especially as they do not have official training and insurance.

Of course they shouldn't.

However they should show some consideration towards other types of road user. Too many don't.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Of course they shouldn't.

However they should show some consideration towards other types of road user. Too many don't.
    If they don't then they end up dead or injured.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He clearly hasn't thought through of how much more congested the roads would be if some of those cyclists used their cars instead.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine if someone proposed a car that could only do 15mph and is likely to seriously harm or kill the driver in even the smallest of accidents.

The simple fact is that cyclists are unable to keep up with traffic so shouldn't be on the road. Doesn't the highway code state that every driver MUST drive at an appropriate speed?
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine if someone proposed a car that could only do 15mph and is likely to seriously harm or kill the driver in even the smallest of accidents.

The simple fact is that cyclists are unable to keep up with traffic so shouldn't be on the road. Doesn't the highway code state that every driver MUST drive at an appropriate speed?

Are you trying to tell us that cyclists drive bicycles?
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think lorries and trucks should be restricted to certain main roads without speed humps. I also think that some research should be done on whether lorry journeys through the capital are strictly necessary and whether train freight could take more of the load.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Cyclists are a proportion of the population that pay taxes like anyone else.

They would need equal representation in that case.

Pedestrians have pavement.

Vehicles have the roads.

Cyclists need their own cycle highways, crafted for them alone.

I think pavements and roads should all be divided up and a generous proportion given to cycle highways.

Any pedestrian loitering on it - or car parked on - could be fined by area occupied or time loitered on.

That would be fair I suppose.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of tosh.
    Where does your uncle think they're supposed to cycle? On the path for god sake?

There are plenty of drivers that shouldn't be on the road but I'm not calling for them to be banned. People never cease to amaze me with the stupid ideas and suggestions they come up with.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    In London most people hate cyclists I hear. My dad cheers when he is a bad mood
    when he hears a cyclist dies
    . My dad doesn't even drive.

No worth a response to that comment
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    I make faces at cyclists (childish but I don't care) as I pass them coz they pee me off so much. Wobbling about everywhere, wearing their ridiculous lycra outfits and thinking they own the road.>:(

Wobbling about?
    Why is lycra ridiculous? Ever tried riding in an overcoat?
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you on about "Unable to keep up".
    Cyclists don't need to keep up with cars. They cycle on the left so the cars can overtake them. They don't cycle in the middle of the road holding up traffic.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    What are you on about "Unable to keep up".
    Cyclists don't need to keep up with cars. They cycle on the left so the cars can overtake them. They don't cycle in the middle of the road holding up traffic.

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/road-positioning
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite odd that people who aren't any good at driving cars nevertheless insist on lecturing about who else ought to be allowed to use the roads.
  • Options
    cohencohen Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Only if enough cycle routes are built.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Driver refers to cars/vans/lorries. You don't drive a bicycle!