Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lest all calm it a little..

Indeed. I apologise if you were offended Betty.

I have no intentions of being riled up again, should anyone think I may.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Marie_Ebb wrote: »
    No not at all, I'm quite easy going. Just don't like witch hunts, it is not me that blew a gasket on here so my irritability isn't in question, yours however... Wasn't other forum members professionalism questioned? I think it was. On an online forum we only have the say so of who you are and what qualifications you have, it cannot be proven.

You can check my PIN on the NMC if you wish, nothing to hide from me : )

To bring the topic back to Jacintha. Her managers really should've been aware of her condition, presumably she had time of sick after the initial suicide attempt. But unless she was open & willing with them it would've been difficult for them to provide appropriate support.

As many if us suspected she had existing MH issues & this call tipped her over the edge.

My personal issue was always with the lack of checking ID when taking the call, that's all.

Many of my colleagues over the years ( those that have confided) have had MH difficulties, including myself. It does not mean we cannot do our jobs. Such a suggestion is very saddening to the many of us who prop up the health service. It is perhaps 'because' of the job that we succumb, or perhaps we are of a personality that makes us more susceptible, I have no idea.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,802
    Forum Member
    Mel Greig due back at work and her collegue Michael Christian is apparently already back at work.
    Greig confirmed her return to News Limited when spotted outside a Sydney pub on Saturday but didn't say what her role would be.

"Someone from the station will be in contact with News Limited when I return," Greig told the reporter.

"I'm not supposed to say anything. I'm so sorry."

Her former on-air partner Michael Christian quietly returned to the airwaves last month.

He's presenting the 10am to noon shift on the Southern Cross Austereo station FoxFM.

Wonder if they know the Queen is in hospital.
    Forum Member
    Guess the DJ, something to hide?
    According to Australian media news website Mumbrella, Mr Christian did not identify himself to listeners during on-air links.

His name was also missing from the station's listings on its website.

Well that's nothing new he didn't identify himself during that fatal phone call.
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe people are still talking about this. Dear oh dear...
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Mel Greig due back at work and her collegue Michael Christian is apparently already back at work.

Wonder if they know the Queen is in hospital.

Is it relevant to them that the Queen's in hospital? They didn't put her there.

She has to start work again some time, and there's no real reason why it shouldn't be in the same line of work she was doing.
    Forum Member
    Pippa 2 wrote: »

I would think Jacintha Saldanha's family might still be talking about it?

The inquest is due to continue on 26 March so may well be featured in the news.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wonder if they know the Queen is in hospita
    l.

You had to dig up a "dead" thread just to try to create a reaction? :confused:

Yeah. Ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    Is it relevant to them that the Queen's in hospital? They didn't put her there.

She has to start work again some time, and there's no real reason why it shouldn't be in the same line of work she was doing.

Possibly, could bring memories of when they tried to speak to Kate Middleton in hospital, who they also didn't put there.

I'm sure the two DJs and their radio station would not have appreciated any prank calls while they were being counselled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly, could bring memories of when they tried to speak to Kate Middleton in hospital, who they also didn't put there.

I'm sure the two DJs and their radio station would not have appreciated any prank calls while they were being counselled.

Anyone prank-calling the two DJs while they were being counselled - or perhaps even now - would know they were dealing with vulnerable people. They had no reason to think they were. Not remotely comparable.
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    You had to dig up a "dead" thread just to try to create a reaction? :confused:

Yeah. Ridiculous.

By pure coincidence on the same weekend the Queen is taken into hospital I read Mel Greig was returning to the radio station in Australia.

People can choose to read and not comment, you do have choice.

Rather than start a new thread I thought this was an appropriate place to bring the news the djs were or had returned to work.

It may resurface again when the inquest resumes, who knows.
    Forum Member
    Anyone prank-calling the two DJs while they were being counselled - or perhaps even now - would know they were dealing with vulnerable people. They had no reason to think they were. Not remotely comparable.

Someone with a fake aussie phones where they are being counselled, and for laughs tells the receptionist they are a relative and wishes to speak to Mel or Michael, the receptionist transfers the call and it is picked up by their counsellor who blissfully unaware answers questions about the DJ's. Which is then for a laugh broadcast.

There's no way the caller would know or think they dealing with vunerable people, but I bet the the aussie radio station would be outraged at such a stunt on behalf of the djs.

And I suspect you like me would be disgusted someone would pull such a prank.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nurse in question did not die as the result of a prank call, she died after suffering from depression for a number of years, she'd made two serious attempts at taking her own life whilst she was in India which resulted in her being in intensive care, phone call or no phone call, sadly this lady was doomed by her illness.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I would think Jacintha Saldanha's family might still be talking about it?

The inquest is due to continue on 26 March so may well be featured in the news.

Sadly, the media have lost interest as soon as it was made public that Jacintha had mental health problems in the past. Even that ghastly MP is not parading the family around any more. Perhaps the hospital had no idea about her previous suicide attempts as I believe they happened in India? She was obviously on holiday there and perhaps never notified her employer regarding her depression etc. Perhaps she was terrified of lossing her job.

Perhaps her family should have informed the media about her previous history, they must have known about it. Her cousin talked to the medai about Jacintha's so-called shame which obviously was not the real reason behind her decision to end her life. Better to have informed the media immediately and stopped the witch hunt of the DJs etc.

It was a great opportunitiy to discuss the consequences of working in the health service, marriage breakdowns, illness, both physical and mental etc.... I was recently in hospital and the doctors and nurses were working even longer hours due to a flu outbreak, half the staff were written sick!! Chaos pure and I am amazed at the pressure these people have to cope with, while making life changing decisions. No wonder so many nurse are drastically overweight and look stressed out of their minds. Everyone loves to criticise when something tragic happens but they get little support when the vast majority of people are well cared for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone with a fake aussie phones where they are being counselled, and for laughs tells the receptionist they are a relative and wishes to speak to Mel or Michael, the receptionist transfers the call and it is picked up by their counsellor who blissfully unaware answers questions about the DJ's. Which is then for a laugh broadcast.

There's no way the caller would know or think they dealing with vunerable people, but I bet the the aussie radio station would be outraged at such a stunt on behalf of the djs.

And I suspect you like me would be disgusted someone would pull such a prank.

If people were outraged on Kate Middleton's behalf over the prank call, that might be a valid comparison. But they weren't; at any rate, not after Jacintha Saldanha's suicide.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member

Exactly. Why has this nonsense been resurrected?
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Exactly. Why has this nonsense been resurrected?

On the same weekend there are reports of Mel Greig going back to work, the Queen is admitted to the very hospital that recieved the prank call from Mel Greig.

You don't see the connection?
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nurse in question did not die as the result of a prank call, she died after suffering from depression for a number of years, she'd made two serious attempts at taking her own life whilst she was in India which resulted in her being in intensive care, phone call or no phone call, sadly this lady was doomed by her illness.

Probably but the phone call may have been a trigger - the DJs bear some responsibility for what happened.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly .. Sadly this lady had many issues BEFORE the prank call..
  • comdydave2wincomdydave2win Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly .. Sadly this lady had many issues BEFORE the prank call..

that just tip her over the eage
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that just tip her over the eage

We will never know why she did it.. Being told off by hospital management for putting the call through without checking who it was MIGHT of tipped her over the edge.. We can all only speculate why.
    What I find discusting is her family knew she had tried to commit suicide in her resent past yet said nothing..and allowed the two DJs to be crucified by the media until they themselves felt suicidal. That is wrong
    Forum Member
    We will never know why she did it.. Being told off by hospital management for putting the call through without checking who it was MIGHT of tipped her over the edge.. We can all only speculate why.
    What I find discusting is her family knew she had tried to commit suicide in her resent past yet said nothing..and allowed the two DJs to be crucified by the media until they themselves felt suicidal. That is wrong

I don't think the radio station or DJ's have answered the question did they obtain permission to broadcast the call or let those called in on the prank. Looking at how the DJ's & the radio station gloated I don't think they'd given a toss about Jacintha even if they knew she was a vunerable person.

For christ sake the DJ's knowingly attempted to speak to and prank a newly pregnant woman as she lay vunerable ill in a hospital bed.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the same weekend there are reports of Mel Greig going back to work, the Queen is admitted to the very hospital that recieved the prank call from Mel Greig.

You don't see the connection?

I see the connection. I just don't see the point. :confused:
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the radio station or DJ's have answered the question did they obtain permission to broadcast the call or let those called in on the prank. Looking at how the DJ's & the radio station gloated I don't think they'd given a toss about Jacintha even if they knew she was a vunerable person.

Do you honestly think that? Playing a prank is one thing. Realising that the prank has ended up in someone committing suicide is something else entirely and I doubt that the DJs or anyone else involved have shrugged it off as just one of those things.
    For christ sake the DJ's knowingly attempted to speak to and prank a newly pregnant woman as she lay vunerable ill in a hospital bed.

As I see it, the whole gag was aimed at seeing how those around the princess would react to an obvious prank call and I doubt they ever considered they'd get put through to KM herself. Obviously, the reaction they ended up with turned out to be more than anyone anticipated.

Even so, it seems to me that some perspective is required to see it for what it was.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    I see the connection. I just don't see the point. :confused:

Exactly.