Options

Misery with Kathy Bates & James Caan

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I rewatched this today and my god is it twisted. I actually read the book beforehand which made me want to revisit the film.

Annie Wilkes is so much more terrifying in Stephen Kings pages than she is as played by Kathy Bates however I do think Kathy (& James) played the parts better than most actors could.

I do think the breaking his ankles with the sledgehammer scene is very hard to watch, I think I'd have actually preferred the books version of her cutting off his foot and cauterizing the wound.

Anyway very good film but the book is so much better, the same can be said about most books I know.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    yea, i love this film too..very tense scenes..it should be on tv more
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed watching Kathy Bates in this role but wish a younger, fitter actor played the author.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an ok film but i found Kathy Bates simply awful in this film. She over-played it and i found it one of the most cringiest performances i have ever seen. If anything, Kathy pissed all over what a fantastically written character Annie is in the book.

Annie was meant to be a ****ed up derranged person and Kathy turned her into a kiddy panto villian.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the film, but this actually lends itself to a stage play very well, being basically a two-hander.

I saw it done at the Criterion Theatre in London back in the 90's, initially with Sharon Gless and Bill Paterson, and then later with Julie T Wallace and Nigel Le Valliant.

It had a very clevery realised revolving set that made for some very tense moments.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I do think the breaking his ankles with the sledgehammer scene is very hard to watch, I think I'd have actually preferred the books version of her cutting off his foot and cauterizing the wound.
    You think it would have been easier to watch her cut his foot off with a chainsaw and cauterise it with a blowtorch, than to 'simply' smash it with a sledgehammer?! The mind boggles at the sort of films you must watch ! :o ;-)
    It was an ok film but i found Kathy Bates simply awful in this film. She over-played it and i found it one of the most cringiest performances i have ever seen. If anything, Kathy pissed all over what a fantastically written character Annie is in the book.

Annie was meant to be a ****ed up derranged person and Kathy turned her into a kiddy panto villian.
    I know what you mean, but I think it would have been difficult to play it any other way and still get across the fact that she's supposed to get more and more unhinged, especially after she discovers he's killed off her favourite heroine. In the book, King has the benefit of a slow build, plus, a lot of it takes place in his mind, two things that the film had to basically jettison and dial up the crazy quite quickly to make the things she does at least semi-plausible.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    You think it would have been easier to watch her cut his foot off with a chainsaw and cauterise it with a blowtorch, than to 'simply' smash it with a sledgehammer?! The mind boggles at the sort of films you must watch ! :o ;-)

Seriously it would have, I just find the placing of the wood between his bare ankles then the sight of them smashing to the side of the wood joint way more disturbing than a bloody axe chopping scene.

Maybe its just me? :o:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess that's why she won an Oscar and the acclaim of Stephen King who wrote Delores Claibourne with her in mind.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Seriously it would have, I just find the placing of the wood between his bare ankles then the sight of them smashing to the side of the wood joint way more disturbing than a bloody axe chopping scene.

Maybe its just me? :o:p

Me too.

When she placed the block of wood, neither I or James Caan were sure of what she was intending to do. This is one film that I wouldn't change in any way.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked this movie. Kathy Bates is way over the top, and James Caan is wooden beyond belief. You never get the sense that he is genuinely terrified for his life. Also it feels like a bad combination of 'Whatever happened to baby jane' and 'psycho,' ans is VERY predictable. AND why did it take the policeman so long to go and question her when she has a bad record??
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I guess that's why she won an Oscar and the acclaim of Stephen King who wrote Delores Claibourne with her in mind.

Regardless, that doesn't change my opinion
    Plus the oscars never get it right all the time
  • Options
    laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I loved this movie. The way it turns from thriller to full blown horror movie right at the end is fantastic. A real edge of your seat movie, and the classical music playing during 'that scene' is an eerie touch. The scene where he plans to poison her but she clumsily knocks the laced wine glass over the table made me chuckle, as did her 'Memory Lane' book with all the newspaper clippings about the people she'd killed.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Like this film and the book - tbh it's hard to decide which one I like more.