✭✭✭
Just starting now BBC 2.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Just starting now BBC 2.

Freddie Got Fingered is on 4 Music at the moment.

I have 12 Monkeys on Bluray.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing movie.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn football. Not on iplayer either >:(
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I recorded it. Haven't seen it for years so thought i'd give it another look.
  • AraelGrayAraelGray Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    It's a classic. Interesting how madeleine stowe's character didn't question her own sanity. I suffered a psychotic break in 2002, and it took me 3 years to realise I was hallucinating and a further 7 years to accept it fully. My meds take care of the hallucinations now (for the most part), but i know what madness is like. I don't think the film actually went into it too deeply even on a sub-textual level, but I liked the black dude ("I am not really an alien")...
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    AraelGray wrote: »
    It's a classic. Interesting how madeleine stowe's character didn't question her own sanity. I suffered a psychotic break in 2002, and it took me 3 years to realise I was hallucinating and a further 7 years to accept it fully. My meds take care of the hallucinations now (for the most part), but i know what madness is like. I don't think the film actually went into it too deeply even on a sub-textual level, but I liked the black dude ("I am not really an alien")...

Are you also....divergent friend?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brad Pitt's best performance is from this movie.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »

I love his first appearance at the asylum when the orderly is shouting "Goines!" and his head pops out of his jumper to that "BOING!!" noise from the cartoon on TV. Brilliant. :D
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I have seen it once before, but that was many years ago and I realised I didn't remember much of it. Watching it a second time made me realise it was more surreal and thoughtful than I remembered it as.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    I have seen it once before, but that was many years ago and I realised I didn't remember much of it.

Rather ironic given the ending.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant, brilliant movie.
    It is supposed to be a remake of Chris Marker's 1962 short 'La Jetee' which mainly consists of stills. And like many modern Sci-fi gems seems to be partly influenced by a Twilight Zone episode. This time it is one written by Rod Serling called 'No Time Like the Past'.

However, the film stands up in its own right, thematically and visually complex and original. The virus sickened world seeps into the imagery and the characters.

There seems to be a plan for a 13 episode tv series (should that not be 12?).
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's not, A River Runs Through It was his best.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.
    It's also probably my favourite movie ending, ever.

I can't decide whether I want the rumoured/confirmed (?) TV show to either fail or be a massive success.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Rather ironic given the ending.
    Haha! Actually, the ending / beginning, where
    he witnesses his own death
    , was just about the only bit I remembered clearly.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Love it. This and The Last Of The Mohicans reminds me Madeline Stowe can be much more than bitch on Revenge.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Watched it the other night.

Can someone clarify something.

At the end the female scientist says she is in insurance. Obviously there to keep an eye on ginger boy.

So did the virus still happen? Surely for her to be there they still would be in the same situation in the future for Jim and her plus others to be sent back through time.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the virus still happens. Cole's mission was to locate the virus in its purest form so that the future scientists can develop a vaccine/cure in the future, and hopefully allow the future people to return to the surface.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one of those rare experiences with this movie. I saw it at the cinema and didn't like it at all, then begrudgingly watched it again a few years back on dvd at a friend's house and fell in love with it. Not sure how that happened, must have had a virus the first time round :D
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Watched this for the first time via its BBC Two showing.

Very good movie. Brad Pitt is superb.
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    I had one of those rare experiences with this movie. I saw it at the cinema and didn't like it at all, then begrudgingly watched it again a few years back on dvd at a friend's house and fell in love with it. Not sure how that happened, must have had a virus the first time round :D

Similar, went to see it at the cinema, didn't get it, watched on video few years later, really appreciated the crossing storylines.

Agree that it's one of Pitts best.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As well as Brad Pitt's best performance, it's Bruce Willis' too, IMHO.

Superb film. I love time travel stuff, and it's rarely been done as well as it is in this film. They can travel to the past, but they can't change it. It's already happened.