Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Comments

• jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just completed my first assassination contract without it turning into a skirmish . Awesome feeling ! . Having the pistol makes life so much easier :)

Having four pistols makes life ALOT easier ;)

Try unlocking and crafting as much as you can. Makes life easier. Also upgrade the jackdaw as quickly as possible. Sinking 3+ Man of Wars in a single sea battle is a golden moment!
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Having four pistols makes life ALOT easier ;)

Try unlocking and crafting as much as you can. Makes life easier. Also upgrade the jackdaw as quickly as possible. Sinking 3+ Man of Wars in a single sea battle is a golden moment!
    I went into a tavern and got some information from the bartender about a naval mission. But it seemed to disappear ? , how soon do you get to do all the naval stuff.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just one piece of advice Will, when in naval battles use heavy cannons. (May not be their exact name). Basically instead of L2 to aim when side on to your enemy, just press R2. This does a hell of a lot more damage than the regular side on cannons. The game neglects to tell you this.

For those stuck on legendary ships, they are all hard and each requires different tactics. For example, one of them can't be damaged side on and you have to keep behind the ship. You need to stun them and use heavy cannons from behind. Legendary ships are the hardest thing about the game really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one piece of advice Will, when in naval battles use heavy cannons. (May not be their exact name). Basically instead of L2 to aim when side on to your enemy, just press R2. This does a hell of a lot more damage than the regular side on cannons. The game neglects to tell you this.

For those stuck on legendary ships, they are all hard and each requires different tactics. For example, one of them can't be damaged side on and you have to keep behind the ship. You need to stun them and use heavy cannons from behind. Legendary ships are the hardest thing about the game really.
    Thanks mate top advice . But what was that all about in the tavern where the guy gave me advice about the naval fleet mission ?. Oh and anybody else really infuriated by chequers lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell. Just on the mission where I have to sink 2 brigs and its making me tear my hair out . I'm following the advice of the poster above and using the r2 button but other ships join in and sink me . On the rare occasions I do sink one I board it and I'm overwhelmed by the crew it's pretty annoying . Any advice ?
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell. Just on the mission where I have to sink 2 brigs and its making me tear my hair out . I'm following the advice of the poster above and using the r2 button but other ships join in and sink me . On the rare occasions I do sink one I board it and I'm overwhelmed by the crew it's pretty annoying . Any advice ?

How upgraded is your ship? Brigs are pretty easy to take down if you have mortars. Use them if you can. If you have upgraded ram use that, ramming does serious damage to all ships.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    How upgraded is your ship? Brigs are pretty easy to take down if you have mortars. Use them if you can. If you have upgraded ram use that, ramming does serious damage to all ships.
    All I've got so far is the first upgrade (the protection against medium damage ) I can't afford anything else. I'm guessing I should run around opening chests before I attempt it again so I can hoard money ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I've got so far is the first upgrade (the protection against medium damage ) I can't afford anything else. I'm guessing I should run around opening chests before I attempt it again so I can hoard money ?

Precisely. That's what I did. I looted as much money as I possibly could and I also boarded a few ships to get some cargo for upgrades. Use your telescope to identify ships with the best cargo (metals, wood etc) Upgrading the ship is imperative to this game, you won't be able to do many naval missions without it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely. That's what I did. I looted as much money as I possibly could and I also boarded a few ships to get some cargo for upgrades. Use your telescope to identify ships with the best cargo (metals, wood etc) Upgrading the ship is imperative to this game, you won't be able to do many naval missions without it.
    Thanks . Just upgraded the ram and the mortars . What's the next one I should get ? . Also slightly ot but if you have a ps4 how warm does it get . Mine gets warm after like half an hour or an hour of play but not hot . It's weird though cos my ps3 doesn't get anywhere near as warm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just completed that mission thanks ! . I've just harpooned my first shark too:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks . Just upgraded the ram and the mortars . What's the next one I should get ? . Also slightly ot but if you have a ps4 how warm does it get . Mine gets warm after like half an hour or an hour of play but not hot . It's weird though cos my ps3 doesn't get anywhere near as warm.

Hmmm... hull armour for the ship is super important so upgrade that if you can, you'll last about ten times longer.

Also, great tip: raise your wanted level. Pirate hunters are easy to take down with mortars and they carry the best cargo. If you board their ships your ship will be upgraded in no time.

By the way, if you want to make lots of money send ships on fleet missions. They'll take a few hours but they bring in the cash. And remember to sell cargo you don't need such as sugar etc. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just completed that mission thanks ! . I've just harpooned my first shark too:D

Awesome, glad it worked!
    The Jackshaw is almost like a second character in this game, your number one priority before doing any mission is making sure it's upgraded and repaired as much as it can be at that point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... hull armour for the ship is super important so upgrade that if you can, you'll last about ten times longer.

Also, great tip: raise your wanted level. Pirate hunters are easy to take down with mortars and they carry the best cargo. If you board their ships your ship will be upgraded in no time.

By the way, if you want to make lots of money send ships on fleet missions. They'll take a few hours but they bring in the cash. And remember to sell cargo you don't need such as sugar etc. ;-)
    How do you send them on fleet missions ? . Just tried to do a naval contract but got my ass handed to me lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you send them on fleet missions ? . Just tried to do a naval contract but got my ass handed to me lol.

You need to board ships and choose "send to Kenway's fleet". Make sure you send a range of ships, Man O Wars, Brigs, Frigettes etc as different ships are good for different missions. The fleet missions are important because some contain treasure maps....treasure maps are important because you can't upgrade some parts of your ship until you've obtained them. Here's a good video that sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKVPYYdsAfY

However, before even attempting the fleet missions you should loot because the treasure boxes contain gemstones which you need for the fleet missions anyway lol it's all connected...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to board ships and choose "send to Kenway's fleet". Make sure you send a range of ships, Man O Wars, Brigs, Frigettes etc as different ships are good for different missions. The fleet missions are important because some contain treasure maps....treasure maps are important because you can't upgrade some parts of your ship until you've obtained them. Here's a good video that sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKVPYYdsAfY

However, before even attempting the fleet missions you should loot because the treasure boxes contain gemstones which you need for the fleet missions anyway lol it's all connected...
    Cheers . You've been helpful mate :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onto my next mission now . I have to follow a ship and not be seen and eavesdrop and follow someone on land :o. Saw a YouTube vid of someone doing that one he made it look easy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just completed my first assassination contract without it turning into a skirmish . Awesome feeling ! . Having the pistol makes life so much easier :)

I only ever used pistols/swords while I was trying to board ships due to the amount of enemy otherwise I always used the hidden blades...more of a pure up close kill any other weapon felt wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    I only ever used pistols/swords while I was trying to board ships due to the amount of enemy otherwise I always used the hidden blades...more of a pure up close kill any other weapon felt wrong.
    When boarding ships I use the cannon . If that doesn't finish them off then I board use a smoke bomb and go on a stabbing rampage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am such a dummy . Was playing last night was on the Nothing is True mission . Where you have to meet Kidd but you have to sneak past all the soldiers and not be seen otherwise its instant desynchronisation . And I got to the last part but died loads so decided to go to bed and rather than press quit to main memory I pressed exit memory ...... !! Grr so now not only do I have to go through the whole rigmarole of not being seen by guards I have to sail to the ****ing place now grrr. That'll teach me :(>:(
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoying this game, only gripe is the amount of collecting to do. Gets quite tedious.
  • FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's £32 in game new for the ps4, I'm a big fan of assassins creed and have played them all but was put off from buying this because I wasn't a big fan of the ship missions in ac3 and basically sucked pretty hard at them, is it worth me buying it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's £32 in game new for the ps4, I'm a big fan of assassins creed and have played them all but was put off from buying this because I wasn't a big fan of the ship missions in ac3 and basically sucked pretty hard at them, is it worth me buying it?

It's a fantastic game but if you didn't enjoy the naval combat in AC3 then you're going to hate Black Flag! This is a pirate game through and through and most of your time will be spent at sea than on land.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently picked this up for Wii U for £15 looks fantastic on the system graphics and colours really sharp.
  • FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a fantastic game but if you didn't enjoy the naval combat in AC3 then you're going to hate Black Flag! This is a pirate game through and through and most of your time will be spent at sea than on land.

Ahh thank you, the fact that you said its a fantastic game though really makes me want to get it and suck it up and just get good with the naval part, is there any tips on how I could find the parts easier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh thank you, the fact that you said its a fantastic game though really makes me want to get it and suck it up and just get good with the naval part, is there any tips on how I could find the parts easier?

Upgrade the Jackdaw. Before this game was released Ubisoft said the Jackdaw was like a second character and it turns out they weren't exaggerating. The ship is so instrumental to your survival in the game that you can't do certain missions without upgrading it. So as long as you take care of your ship you'll be fine but, fair warning: upgrading the ship requires a lot of money and cargo and how you obtain those items is through the excellent side missions - which are better than the entire campaign.

Have fun!