Any Flight Attendants on here?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just wondering if anyone who is or used to be a Flight Attendant or even knows someone who is could tell me what it's like to be one, because I've been having doubts about pursuing a career in a different field which I originally intended to, and being an Air Steward is right up my street tbh. :)

I get that it's not all glamour and if I ventured into something like this I'd have to work all the crappy budget airlines first before I get to "see the world" as it is.

Thanks.

Comments

• CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not an FA myself so can't give any insight there but bumping as I'd be interested to hear any input from current/ previous FAs too
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a flight attendant/cabin crew was a childhood dream of mine :embarrassed smiley: I'm still slightly fascinated with airports, weirdly enough. Would also love to hear some input
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a flight attendant/cabin crew was a childhood dream of mine :embarrassed smiley: I'm still slightly fascinated with airports, weirdly enough. Would also love to hear some input

I was hoping for more replies :blush:

I'd just love to one day have that opportunity of being able to see the world, even if it's just for a stop, and being able to visit new places (and go shopping too!) :)
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too I'm fascinated with airports and planes but I'm scared of flying. I think being CC would be great but I'd be no good. I'd be looking for reassurance from the passengers during turbulance. BBWorldWideFan there's a CC forum that would probably give you more info. www.cabincrew.com :)
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't get any replies when we are next in the newsagents have a look at Weight Watchers Mag page 21 and there is a story there from FA who gives a bit of an insight into her job - she loves it.

Why not go to a FA forums and ask there.- there a quite a few on line.
  • FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Without dampening your spirits, very often CC don't have time to see the sights. I know someone who is steward on medium to long haul flights and very often it's a case of finishing the shift tidying the aircraft after the passengers have disembarked, straight to the hotel for a meal and bed, to be back on the return flight the next day.

Don't get me wrong, some stop-overs do allow a day or so down time but these tend to be fewer rather than more, apparently 😯😯

See also [url] http://m.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/the-backpacker/the-truth-about-being-a-flight-attendant-20130711-2psji.html [/url]
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without dampening your spirits, very often CC don't have time to see the sights. I know someone who is steward on medium to long haul flights and very often it's a case of finishing the shift tidying the aircraft after the passengers have disembarked, straight to the hotel for a meal and bed, to be back on the return flight the next day.

Don't get me wrong, some stop-overs do allow a day or so down time but these tend to be fewer rather than more, apparently 😯😯

When I heard that even some well known airlines employ pilots on zero hours contracts.I thought 'what must it be like for the cabin crew?.
    Better off joining the Royal Navy if you want to see the world.
  • FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    When I heard that even some well known airlines employ pilots on zero hours contracts.I thought 'what must it be like for the cabin crew?.
    Better off joining the Royal Navy if you want to see the world.

It's also great for buggering up your body clock too. I know after a long haul flight jet lag has to be factored in so a 48hr stop over sounds good but in reality is probably spent sleeping!! 😮😮
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a crap job if the plane crashes :cool:
  • ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son is cabin crew with easyjet.

It gives you confidence, you meet lots of people, learn to cope with various situations. There is a career path, he's attained his cabin manager position in under a year. One of the girls he once worked with is now second officer in the cockpit The money isn't to bad either.

Although the hours are varied and sometimes long, it always feels like he's here on days off.

On some night stops he's walked round a few european cities and he's had a meal in various restaurants including a Michelin starred restaurant in a hotel where they get a 50% discount.

For my son, who struggled at school, it has (with hindsight) turned out to be one of the best things that have happened to him.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    It's a crap job if the plane crashes :cool:

I was thinking about this when people were asking 'would you fly again?' after recent events

Imagine going into a career where you spend your whole working life on planes, knowing that you will do 10,000 flights or something. Its not even like a pilot who can try to prevent a crash or there is some honour or praise for going down with the plane and you get your name in the paper

I couldn't do it
  • Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I'm just wondering if anyone who is or used to be a Flight Attendant or even knows someone who is could tell me what it's like to be one, because I've been having doubts about pursuing a career in a different field which I originally intended to, and being an Air Steward is right up my street tbh. :)

I get that it's not all glamour and if I ventured into something like this I'd have to work all the crappy budget airlines first before I get to "see the world" as it is.

Thanks.

I think its something you have to 'really really' want to do, as there is so much competition. I think i read/heard somewhere, that for 6,000 people applied for about 40 jobs at BA.... (i could be wrong ofc)

Also - the training sounds really hard, 6 weeks of daily exams etc,..

heres episode 2 of the BA 'behind the scenes' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-APz31cBw

I was told that Jody and the other guy were not really applicant but 'plants'
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks.

I'd suggest registering with this forum http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-131/ and posting the question there.

Good luck :)
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends became a flight attendant earlier this year, she got a job with BA straightaway and her Instagram has been full of pics of her in stunning hotel spas and on beautiful Caribbean beaches.

Just yesterday she put up pictures of herself swimming with dolphins in Mexico.

She seems to get at least a night or two everywhere she flies to. I'd never even considered a career as a flight attendant before I saw how amazing her job is, now I'm kicking myself that I can't do it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its something you have to 'really really' want to do, as there is so much competition. I think i read/heard somewhere, that for 6,000 people applied for about 40 jobs at BA.... (i could be wrong ofc)

Also - the training sounds really hard, 6 weeks of daily exams etc,..

heres episode 2 of the BA 'behind the scenes' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-APz31cBw

I was told that Jody and the other guy were not really applicant but 'plants'

I have a plan to learn Spanish and German as 2nd/3rd languages, if I had them under my belt would that better my chances?

I think I really, really want to do it :D
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a plan to learn Spanish and German as 2nd/3rd languages, if I had them under my belt would that better my chances?

I think I really, really want to do it :D

Check out the link I suggested and talk it over with some people in the know :)