Options

so i failed my second driving test today

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
Forum Member
got 2 serious faults and 6 or 7 minors :(

which isnt too bad compared to my first i guess, i got 4 serious faults and 7 or 8 minors in May i think it was when i took my first test.

today wasnt too bad, i was really nervous though and my fails were on awareness and planning and at the traffic lights.

i knew the 2 mistakes i made, could have kicked myself, there was a huge accident when i was leaving the dual carriageway with police cars everywhere stationary, lights blazing, that threw me a bit and i didnt slow down enough, so she did me on awareness and planning.

on the de-brief she said i was too fast past the cars since i didnt know what was happening. i said she was right, but that it was to do with nerves and a bit of panic tbh, and she said that i didnt seem nervous in my driving at all on my test. but i was sooo nervous i was doing deep breathing half the time, oh well.

so both my mistakes were to do with awareness and planning really, so we've got to work on that, she said my driving ability is good and that i have lots of ability, but my thinking things through needs to be the same, so we've got to work on improving my planning and slowing down a bit more at problems before my next test.

i booked straight away, so ive got 4 weeks to work on the mistakes i made. hopefully it'll be 3rd time lucky.

should i have waited to re-book do you think or am i right to put straight back in for it?

Comments

• Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    All the better drivers pass 3rd time in my opinion lol so good luck next time.

I did anyways. Don't kick yourself, it's suppose to a myth that they have a certain percentage on the day to pass, they may have already met those before you started
  • Options
    MadameLaMinxMadameLaMinx Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How unlucky to run into a situation like that on your test :(

I think you were right to rebook straight away - you are obviously improving and had a major situation to deal with on this occasion and STILL got less faults than before.

Get plenty of practice in the next four weeks and hopefully you'll sail through it next time :) (or drive through it, presuming its not a boat driving test :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olive0000 wrote: »
    got 2 serious faults and 6 or 7 minors :(

which isnt too bad compared to my first i guess, i got 4 serious faults and 7 or 8 minors in May i think it was when i took my first test.

today wasnt too bad, i was really nervous though and my fails were on awareness and planning and at the traffic lights.

i knew the 2 mistakes i made, could have kicked myself, there was a huge accident when i was leaving the dual carriageway with police cars everywhere stationary, lights blazing, that threw me a bit and i didnt slow down enough, so she did me on awareness and planning.

on the de-brief she said i was too fast past the cars since i didnt know what was happening. i said she was right, but that it was to do with nerves and a bit of panic tbh, and she said that i didnt seem nervous in my driving at all on my test. but i was sooo nervous i was doing deep breathing half the time, oh well.

so both my mistakes were to do with awareness and planning really, so we've got to work on that, she said my driving ability is good and that i have lots of ability, but my thinking things through needs to be the same, so we've got to work on improving my planning and slowing down a bit more at problems before my next test.

i booked straight away, so ive got 4 weeks to work on the mistakes i made. hopefully it'll be 3rd time lucky.

should i have waited to re-book do you think or am i right to put straight back in for it?[/
    QUOTE]

First of all, sorry to hear you failed but well done on getting rogh back at it and rebooking! That's exactly what I did after my first fail...best thing.

Good luck for next time!
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No go for it straight away, as the examiner said your driving ability is pretty much up to standard you just need to improve the awareness and planning that should come to you fairly quickly if you don't need to place so much emphasis on the technical side of your driving.
  • Options
    mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right to put in straight away. The rest of your driving is fine and you know the mistakes you made and now you've just got to work on them.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Third time lucky! Go straight in for it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, that was an unlucky situation to find yourself in.

Quite agree, work towards your next test straight away, no sense putting it off.

I passed 3rd time, hopefully so will you. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    3rd times the charm!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry - I didn't pass till my 4th attempt and went on to race competively in Porsches !
  • Options
    blakeichblakeich Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    well my instructor said i am nearly ready for my test. However i havent taken the theory yet. Because i practice on the computer. I pass the theory part but i always fail the hazard awareness. And then the other day i did the hazard awareness and though oh i'll try the theory part now and failed it :(
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    You do know that only the Theory (Multi-choice) cd are the same questions as on the test? The actual Hazard perception isn't the real one, it says this on the DSA site somewhere I think.

Therefore, if you are getting a good enough score on the Hazard then maybe you should go in for it and give it a go, you might find it easier on the day.

As long has you have an idea of what to expect and to look out for

EDIT,
    Not sure if you are using a CD or online-test, but try this site. Click Here

What is the Pass Mark nowadays? It only does 10 clips, and I got 45/50 so isn't bad
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took 4 tests, it is disheartening when you fail a 2nd time and then again a 3rd but I didn't give up and passed a 4th time almost a year ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris2k2 wrote: »
    You do know that only the Theory (Multi-choice) cd are the same questions as on the test? The actual Hazard perception isn't the real one, it says this on the DSA site somewhere I think.

Therefore, if you are getting a good enough score on the Hazard then maybe you should go in for it and give it a go, you might find it easier on the day.

As long has you have an idea of what to expect and to look out for

EDIT,
    Not sure if you are using a CD or online-test, but try this site. Click Here

What is the Pass Mark nowadays? It only does 10 clips, and I got 45/50 so isn't bad

And on the HA test, you can be failed for clicking too early on the hazard. I failed it because of that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw don't think "fail", think " haven't passed yet!!" its all about positive mental attitude, Get yourself booked back in for another one as soon as your ready and go for it.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And on the HA test, you can be failed for clicking too early on the hazard. I failed it because of that.

You don't fail for clicking too early but you don't get any points.

My driving instructor told me that when you see a hazard developing, click once and then click again like a second or so later. Then if you were too early on the first click, hopefully the second should score points.

As long as you don't keep clicking on the same video willynilly then a couple extra clicks won't fail you. I think when i did mine, I clicked at least 2 times for each hazard, sometimes 3 times and the warning that you are clicking too much didn't come up at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    You don't fail for clicking too early but you don't get any points.

Well ...ok. But it ends up with the same result.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mumber of tests my mum took before she eventually passed was well into double figures!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Took me four times. Keep going.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amc1 wrote: »
    Took me four times. Keep going.

Me too :o

My son passed on his 3rd attempt last week so don't give up OP. :)