How soon after Xmas does the post Office open?

silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
Forum Member
Hi
does anyone know how soon after Xmas the post office opens? My mum gets her pension on a Monday and I dont know if itll be open next Monday. Our phones are down at the moment cause of this damned snow and the P.O. website isnt a blind bit of use; all it goes on about is products and services.
If anyone can help Id be grateful. I shouldve asked when i went to collect her pension this morning[!].

Comments

• Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main PO branches are
    Monday 24th December - Open until 12.30pm
    Tuesday 25th December - Closed (Christmas Day)
    Wednesday 26th December - Closed (Boxing Day)
    Thursday 27th December - Business as usual
    Friday 28th December - Business as usual
    Saturday 29th December - Business as usual
    Sunday 30th December - Closed
    Monday 31st December - Open until 4.00pm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Main PO branches are
    You're a couple of years out here :) 25 December is a Saturday this year!

I'd imagine, though don't hold me to it, is that it will be normal hours Wednesday is the next time they're open; I know it's been many years and a completely different type of benefit, but can you not get it a week early because of the bank holiday on Monday?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Main PO branches are

Erm...

Christmas eve is this Friday, Christmas day is Saturday etc, etc...
  • silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Dissonance wrote: »

I'd imagine, though don't hold me to it, is that it will be normal hours Wednesday is the next time they're open; I know it's been many years and a completely different type of benefit, but can you not get it a week early because of the bank holiday on Monday?
    Thanks for the advice, Dissonance. I really shouldve asked this morning when I went in. I thought it might be Tuesday itd be open. if anyone does know if the post office opens on Tuesday or Wednesday Id be grateful!
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, Dissonance. I really shouldve asked this morning when I went in. I thought it might be Tuesday itd be open. if anyone does know if the post office opens on Tuesday or Wednesday Id be grateful!
    Tuesday is a Bank Holiday, so I wouldn't count on it but Wednesday is a normal working day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it'll be Tuesday as Tuesday is the Boxing Day Bank Holiday. My 'dont hold me to it' commentt was aimed at the normal hours rather than the day! I'm fairly certin Wednesday will be the next open day for the Post Office, but just not sure on the hours.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    if anyone does know if the post office opens on Tuesday or Wednesday Id be grateful!

1. Use the link provided in post #2.

2. Ring the Post Office in question.

3. Resolve not to be so idle in the New Year.
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Dissonance and everyone else. I appreciate all your assistance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »

Oops :o So much for being helpful..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    1. Use the link provided in post #2.

2. Ring the Post Office in question.

3. Resolve not to be so idle in the New Year.

What's the point of an advice forum then if you think people shouldn't be asking for advice in it? :confused: So while we are telling others what to do;

1. Resolve not to be so rude in the New Year.
    Forum Member
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    What's the point of an advice forum then if you think people shouldn't be asking for advice in it? :confused:.

There is nothing wrong with asking for advice.

A link was provided in the first reply (not mine) which will provide the phone number of the specific Post Office in question in a matter of seconds. A phone call lasting a few more seconds to that Post Office will answer the question definitively.

The OP chose to ignore this, and reply instead to another poster who admitted that their reply was simply a guess. The OP then asked essentially the same question again.

Does this strike you as sensible?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with asking for advice.

A link was provided in the first reply (not mine) which will provide the phone number of the specific Post Office in question in a matter of seconds. A phone call lasting a few more seconds to that Post Office will answer the question definitively.

The OP chose to ignore this, and reply instead to another poster who admitted that their reply was simply a guess. The OP then asked essentially the same question again.

Does this strike you as sensible?
    Our phones are down at the moment cause of this damned snow .
    That sorts out that suggestion then.
    Forum Member
    Our phones are down at the moment cause of this damned snow .
    elke21 wrote: »
    That sorts out that suggestion then.

Does it?

Can phone lines go down whilst internet connections remain unaffected? (Serious question, as it seems pretty unlikely to me.)

Or perhaps she is posting from her mobile phone ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it?

Can phone lines go down whilst internet connections remain unaffected? (Serious question, as it seems pretty unlikely to me.)

Or perhaps she is posting from her mobile phone ...

Good point :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My benefit which is due next Monday (27 Dec) will be available in my bank on Friday (Christmas Eve) so I expect your Mum's pension will be the same.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they can...there was a thread on here about it maybe a week or so ago!

Haven't got time to find it though!
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    does anyone know how soon after Xmas the post office opens? My mum gets her pension on a Monday and I dont know if itll be open next Monday. Our phones are down at the moment cause of this damned snow and the P.O. website isnt a blind bit of use; all it goes on about is products and services.
    If anyone can help Id be grateful. I shouldve asked when i went to collect her pension this morning[!].

Generally if Post Offices are closed on a named pension day, then you can pick up two weeks in advance, so your mother could have picked up two weeks today.
  • pognog2pognog2 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll be able to collect it on Friday - on benfits & pension go in/can be collected the last working day before the bank holiday
    Forum Member
    Yosemite, dont be so rude, if you can manage that. Our phones are down in this area [it was reported on the local news of all things, which was a bit disturbing]. My internet is wi-fi so is unaffected, thank goodness.
    It took me two hours to get to the post office and back this morning, in this dreadful weather. Yes, I forgot to ask but now I come to think about it, there was no notice up in there concerning payments over the holiday season either.
    Again, I would like to thank everyone else for their kind assistance in finding out. Youve all being very kind.
    x.
    Merry xmas and a Happy New Year to you all.