Options

Present for newborn baby boy

KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My boyfriend's step-mother has just given birth to a baby boy. He hasn't got a name yet and I am going to see him tomorrow, however I have no idea what to get! My boyfriend suggested something practical, but not too practical, but it can't be big because there's not enough room and it can't be clothes because he's got so many.

I really have no idea. They have a daughter and I've brought her a gift, but it's a lot harder for a newborn! Any ideas? (We've been together for around one and a half years)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A personalised wooden toy like a puzzle he can play with when he's older.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mobile [as in the thing above the cot] can be mentally stimulating - or something with nice lights, but bear in mind Child safety and you get what you pay for.

A tiny wee teddy?

If they don't get nappy allowance, then a pack of newborn nappies etc? :)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted. Just re-read OP and saw you don't want to buy clothes. :o
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    My boyfriend's step-mother has just given birth to a baby boy. He hasn't got a name yet and I am going to see him tomorrow, however I have no idea what to get! My boyfriend suggested something practical, but not too practical, but it can't be big because there's not enough room and it can't be clothes because he's got so many.

I really have no idea. They have a daughter and I've brought her a gift, but it's a lot harder for a newborn! Any ideas? (We've been together for around one and a half years)

you say not clothes but, if you get something a size bigger than newborn they save it until it fits.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premium Bonds? He has a chance of winning every month, or could just take out the money when he's older. I think they start at £10. My MIL got my son some when he was born, and I thought it was a great present as we had everything we needed already and no room for anything else.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Swiss Francs. ( taps nose).
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nappies - not very exciting, but damn well useful! Or something for Mum to pamper herself with?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    a lighter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had my boys I found it so helpful that someone bought them nappies because for one they are definitely going to be used and for two I couldn't get out for the first 6-8 weeks to get them myself!

I think she would appreciate nappies more then anything else!

Congratulations to all the family as well! :) xxx.
  • Options
    KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. :D It has been requested within the last hour that it's small enough to fit inside a handbag... Which limits everything. :(
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. :D It has been requested within the last hour that it's small enough to fit inside a handbag... Which limits everything. :(

A voucher for a massage for Mum ? or a voucher for Mothercare or Boots ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    My friends had a little girl last week, I got a little box with a few little bits in:

- Luxury Bubble bath for mummy
    - Cigar for daddy
    - A little toy that clips to the pram
    - A baby grow that - cos it was too cute not too
    - And some pink muslin cloths

They were really made up with it

xx
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got one of those shops near you that you can paint your own stuff. Parents sometimes like making footprints of their new babies onto a plate or something.

They do vouchers, so you could get her a voucher so when shes feeling up to it she can take the baby along and make something.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does this request come directly from the parents?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depending on what kind of gift you want, buy a massive or tiny wee handbag so whatever will fit. ;):)
  • Options
    #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds to me like they want the cash! I appreciated getting vouchers when I had my son, because as pepared as you think you might be, there is always something new to get as the weeks go on.
  • Options
    joe9000joe9000 Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Suggest go to "deb......" (you know where i mean)

They do a small teddy, just enough for baby to hold...a rattle on it, soft, and can chew on (under a tenner)....Love the idea of a treat for mum...exotic bubble bath:D
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest a baby book to record each ' milestone ', but that won't fit into a handbag. Someone bought me two small silver plated circular boxes, to put locks of baby hair / baby teeth in. It came from a jewellers, and they were unusual. I still have them, each has 2 kiss curls of baby hair in !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Another idea is to buy from a store voucher for the amount you spend going to and gave them the voucher. They will buy their own gift. So you will sure that no wrong and they will be satisfied