Options

Alan Davies rants about Jonathan Creek!

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
His point about the working hours for actors does seem very fair. Why should actors be expected to work very long hours if there are EU laws intended to protect workers?
‘I don’t understand how 12-hour days and 11-day fortnights became the norm in the TV industry. By EU law you are only supposed to work 48 hours a week at most but, as soon as you go into this industry, you throw that away.’

And he says that the long hours haven’t even been compensated financially. ‘They paid me less for the last series I did of Creek than they paid me for doing the show in the late 1990s and actually wanted to pay me less than the amount that they finally agreed to,’ he says, eyes wide open.

‘And it’s not just me who gets less, the budgets on Creek as a whole have been massively cut, by two-thirds from how they were ten years ago.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2656804/Why-I-dont-enjoy-playing-Jonathan-Creek-The-BBCs-cut-pay-hours-crippling-Alan-Davies-VERY-grumpy.html

The entire crew has to work long hours, not just the actors, so perhaps there should be new laws introduced to limit the amount of hours anyone can work on the set of a tv show.

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he doesn`t do any more Creek - Last series was terrible!

That man can bloody moan.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry Alan. I don't think you'll need to worry and whine about the long hours and low pay for doing Jonathan Creek again.

What he's really admitting to is that he's not powerful enough to make demands as to how long they shoot or to negotiate better pay.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'll just add this to my list of reasons to despise him.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    I hope he doesn`t do any more Creek - Last series was terrible!

That man can bloody moan.

He can't act, either....

...and he's not funny, so how he's ever labelled a 'comedian' is beyond me.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has a new show starting on Dave. Is this his idea of good publicity? Entirely coincidental I`m sure......
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this without telling us how much he gets.

Gizza Job. I could do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Also the hours you work can be averaged out. A lot of an actors time is spent doing nothing followed by periods of intense work. That is the lot of an actors life and always has been. If you don't like it, get a different job.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont bad actors spend a long time "resting" between parts?
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to TV! It's long hours. You do it because you love it, if you don't love it anymore, then dont do it! Simple as. If he doesn't want to do acting anymore that's fine, he still has QI, which isn't as intense as acting work. Maybe that's why he's complaining, he's got to the cushy life on QI lol. Spending a few hours in a studio and the rest in an office or dressing room, as oppose to 12 hour days on location.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Maybe he should try doing a thankless 15 hour day on minimum wage. Lets swap jobs Alan :)
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ho Ho Hum. He's a very poor actor, have you seen those 'romantic' scenes, who stumbled upon a brilliantly conceived series and has been milking it ever since. He protesteth too much.

Mind you attacking an agressive beggar raises him in my estimation.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he should try his luck in the US? Learn a US accent and become an eccentric surgeon or detective or something?

Cramming as much filming as they can into a small number of days cuts the overall costs immensely. He should try his hand at producing (and not just the pretend producing thing that some actors do) to see things from the other side.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they paid him less for the last series of Creek than the original, then perhaps they are taking quality into account.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that why he sleepwalked through the last series?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    His point about the working hours for actors does seem very fair. Why should actors be expected to work very long hours if there are EU laws intended to protect workers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2656804/Why-I-dont-enjoy-playing-Jonathan-Creek-The-BBCs-cut-pay-hours-crippling-Alan-Davies-VERY-grumpy.html

The entire crew has to work long hours, not just the actors, so perhaps there should be new laws introduced to limit the amount of hours anyone can work on the set of a tv show.

For a supposedly clever man he fails to research the vital thing: the opt out clause. Workers throughout the EU have a legal right to opt out of the 48 hour maximum clause and by doing so are saying they are happy to work more than 48 hours. It also only covers contracted staff in fixed, long term employment. An actor who works for a fortnight for instance, is bound by the specific contract that is required for the job about to be undertaken. The series before last of JC consisted of 6 episodes (albeit split) so it's hardly surprising that he was paid less, he made half the episodes! D'oh! I'm pretty certain both BBC, ITV and other broadcasters throughout are aware of the employment laws regarding their "talent", so I don't understand what he is moaning at.

And, as an actor, he will be given a dressing room or trailer which is equipped with furniture and refreshments inwhich to rest for often hours before work starts again.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to be a very bitter, discontented person.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    All this without telling us how much he gets.

Gizza Job. I could do that.

You could probably do it better then he can too. He's also got so bad on QI that I've stopped watching. He always has to butt in and make his inane comments over those of someone who might just possibly have some knowledge of a subject, or have a funnier story to tell.
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Mr Davies might like to take the matter up with his employer, and, as most actors are self-employed he can have a conversation with himself, instead of boring the rest of us with his ungrateful incessant whinings.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    For a supposedly clever man he fails to research the vital thing: the opt out clause. Workers throughout the EU have a legal right to opt out of the 48 hour maximum clause and by doing so are saying they are happy to work more than 48 hours. It also only covers contracted staff in fixed, long term employment. An actor who works for a fortnight for instance, is bound by the specific contract that is required for the job about to be undertaken. The series before last of JC consisted of 6 episodes (albeit split) so it's hardly surprising that he was paid less, he made half the episodes! D'oh! I'm pretty certain both BBC, ITV and other broadcasters throughout are aware of the employment laws regarding their "talent", so I don't understand what he is moaning at.

And, as an actor, he will be given a dressing room or trailer which is equipped with furniture and refreshments inwhich to rest for often hours before work starts again.

You often find you have agreed to an opt-out clause without anyone actually asking you but I think the averaging still applies.

Amuses me that the politicians and union leaders who were behind the WTD don't seem to comply themselves.

The broadcasting industry has lots of exemptions as well, drivers can be exempt from normal driving hour limits.

I suspect he just wants more money.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ****.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sometimes the case, actors of minimal ability, go on an ego trip and start biting the hand that feeds them.
    I wouldn't give any programme in which he appears, the time of day.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Most actors are pleased to work especially after months/weeks of 'resting'.

It comes with the job, perhaps he needs to look for a new career.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I used to quite like him but Davies has rather turned into a grumpy old man.

I suppose we all moan privately about our jobs now and then, but yeah, he may have been doing long days without time off but it's only for a short time isn't it? There are quite a few jobs contract where you work intensely for a short period and then get a fair amount of time off whilst the rest of us are doing nine to five for forty odd weeks a year.

Plus , being an actor, presumably he can pick and choose his projects and work when he wants and take time off when he doesn't. Or perhaps not (especially after these comments;-))
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    You can opt-out of the EU law if you wish and so if you do then they may start only employing people who do opt-out.

I applied for a security job only last week and at the bottom of the application form was a box saying "Do you choose to opt-out of the EU regulations? Yes or No". I bet anyone who answered "No" they didn't bother replying to.

Acting is like working in McDonalds as it's over-subscribed they can easily get people and treat them badly.