Options

OK Google Everywhere? Is your working?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Currently running KitKat 4.4.4 on a GNex 4 unrooted, with the latest version of Play Services (5.0.84), Google Search (3.5.16.1262550) and Google Now Launcher (1.0.16.1154249)

The "Voice" settings are set to UK English (both online and offline), and I can see the new "OK Google" detection menu. The "From any screen" selection box is greyed out so I can't select it.

From what I've read, Both UK and US English are both now live, but have to be activated on an account by account basis server side at Google. I've tried the trick of typing in "OK Google Everywhere" to enable the service, but had no luck.

The any page voice search works if I use US English, just not UK. Any one else have this issue? Anyone got the trick to enable the service quicker to work?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's only for US English on any screen it seems.
    UK English is still restricted to home screens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    it's only for US English on any screen it seems.
    UK English is still restricted to home screens.

Thanks. This makes sense. I assumed, being able to see the setting, something was borked on my phone.

Difficult to tell because most of the tech sites are very US centric
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Say it instead. Then try again. That's what worked for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Say it instead. Then try again. That's what worked for me.

it didn't for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When you type or say ok Google everywhere, click one of the links that come up then back out. Then go back into Google now and it will hopefully work :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you type or say ok Google everywhere, click one of the links that come up then back out. Then go back into Google now and it will hopefully work :)

nope

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1499080/2014-07-09%2010.53.24.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1499080/2014-07-09%2010.53.52.png

are you sure you're using UK English as your language?
    it works for English or English US, but not UK as far as i can see.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Boooo :(

Yup, UK English. https://imageshack.com/i/nd09h2tj

It seems Google has provisioned some accounts but not others yet. Worked on both me and the Mrs nexus 5's.
  • Options
    GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my Nexus 7 to work, but my Mother's Nexus 7 would not play nicely even after I tried everything mentioned here.......until I uninstalled the updates to Google Search in the App Manager, then went to the Google Play store and updated it again. Et voila! Suddenly it was working perfectly.
    Of course, she has to have US English set for the Search app itself, but the main TTS setting is still set to UK English.

Might help? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GamerGirl wrote: »
    Of course, she has to have US English set for the Search app itself, but the main TTS setting is still set to UK English.

Might help? :)

you're kinda missing the point of the thread.
    we know it works with US English, we're trying to get it working for UK English.
  • Options
    GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry I missed the point .... You'll probably have to wait for Google to sort that one out
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Seems google has decided Uk English just isn't needed at the moment, absolutey awful customer treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seems google has decided Uk English just isn't needed at the moment, absolutey awful customer treatment.

How is it awful? Did siri have every feature available to UK users when it first started? Or even now does it?

Anyway, I have it, as you can see from the pic above, set to UK English and mine works. They are rolling it out to the UK and have been since it stated in the states.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it awful? Did siri have every feature available to UK users when it first started? Or even now does it?

Anyway, I have it, as you can see from the pic above, set to UK English and mine works. They are rolling it out to the UK and have been since it stated in the states.

can you show a screenshot of the "ok google detection" screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    can you show a screenshot of the "ok google detection" screen.

Sure

https://imageshack.com/i/mrxu2vp
  • Options
    CroftCroft Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know how to use the Car locator in Google , the one that reminds you where you park . I can't find how this works .
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croft wrote: »
    I'd like to know how to use the Car locator in Google , the one that reminds you where you park . I can't find how this works .
    It, like most parts of Google Now, should work automatically. If you drive somewhere, then walk somewhere, then when you next go into Google Now you should see a card near the bottom with the heading "parking location" or similar, indicating roughly where you've parked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It, like most parts of Google Now, should work automatically. If you drive somewhere, then walk somewhere, then when you next go into Google Now you should see a card near the bottom with the heading "parking location" or similar, indicating roughly where you've parked.

That card doesn't appear for me .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I get it pretty much daily on my Nexus 5. Even got it while on holiday in Greece a few weeks ago!
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've changed my language to English (US) and clicked the option for OK Google anywhere. Its asking me to say OK Google 3 times. But nothing happens
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Tyry these voice comands
    OK google....
    Make me a sandwich
    When am i?
    Do a barrel roll
    whos on first
    who are you
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    what does the fox say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i still don't have this available on all screens, just the home screen.
    tried all the "tricks" mentioned but still nothing.

most strange.....