Options

Debit Card Problem

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
I went to get some petrol today. Anyway when I went to pay they said the card had been declined, it was nothing to do with my account they had been having problems all day with cards from this particular bank. I tried the same card again and same problem, so gave up and paid on another card.

Just checked my account online and it's debited twice from the original account which supposedly had been declined.
So I have paid three times for the petrol :mad:

I am absolutely fuming, I called the petrol station and was told the first two transactions didn't go through, they will reverse.
Will I get the money back, I'm broke as it is without things like this.

Comments

• Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep hold of your receipts. The declined ones that is. We went to Egypt on holiday and on our way back SWMBO wanted some perfume etc. in Duty free. She paid by card and the first one was declined £50 odd pounds. So they put it through again and it was excepted. The guy then picked up the declined receipts and binned them. we asked for all the receipts including the declined ones. When we got back SWMBO finds two transactions on credit card. Lucky we kept the receipts. Bank eventually gave her the money back. They did suggest that we could contact the shop and see if they would sort it out. Hmmmmm....

If you have the declined receipts you will be ok ..

Contact your card supplier now and tell them whats happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    The same thing happened to me but for £600 each transaction. Your money is held by the bank in a holding fund until the retailer authorises the transaction. As the retailer has not authorised it you will recieve your money back in your account within 5 days or so. Its annoying but you will get it back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above. It's most likely pre authorised, but not charged. The transactions will drop off your statement in 2-3 days
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's how the card companies make their money. When you buy something the money leaves your account straight away and sits with the card company for a couple of days before reaching the retailer. When it is refunded to you it is exactly the same meaning it takes a few days to show.

I work in retail and customers often compalin about this but the fact is the retailer can't do anything. Just make sure that you keep the reciepts as mentioned above and check again in a couple of days.