Options

Letting Agents

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know how much letting agents charge in administration fees.

We are taking forms in tommorow but noticed besides bond, first months rent and referencing fee they want an admin fee. We have the first three but if they put on another few hundred pounds for admin.:mad:

Talk about robbers, think I will set myself up as a letting agent.

Comments

• Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I think I've paid in the past £125 and £75. Totally depends on the letting agency, they decide how much to charge, don't think there is any "standard" set fee unfortunately. Though the times I've paid, I've never paid a referencing fee, the amount included all the checks (credit and referencing).
  • Options
    ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where in the country are you? Admin fee around here is a few hundred...
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zero admin fees for tenants for the agency that deal with the block I am in.
    Any letting agency fees are paid by the landlords.
  • Options
    sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are in West Yorkshire. I was just suprised there was another fee on top of the referencing fee, I feel like looking for somewhere else, the last agent didn't charge any fees. Having to move though as the landlord is selling.
  • Options
    sarahqueensarahqueen Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    When I left the house I rented, the letting agent paid us our deposit back. They paid us too much by £200 and wanted it back. I told them there will Be an admin fee, they never asked again!
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    Zero admin fees for tenants for the agency that deal with the block I am in.
    Any letting agency fees are paid by the landlords.

sounds like they are struggling to let the flats there
  • Options
    myviewmyview Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its how they operate! trust me on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally find it's better to look for flats in the local paper and deal direct with the landlord.

Having said that I recently rented a flat off a letting agency and there were no fees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like they are struggling to let the flats there

nope, not at all.
    letting agents don't need to charge tenants anything at all.
    the percentage of the rent they take more than covers any "admin" work they have to do.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Letting agents = Legitimate con artists.

Beware of fees for re-newing your contract after 6 months. Fees for "cleaning" when you leave...even though you KNOW you left it perfect. Oh, and fees for "damage" to carpets that either never existed or existed before and they conveniently forget to enter on their copy of the inventory.

Oh...and yes, the good ol' "Admin Fee"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Fees for "cleaning" when you leave...even though you KNOW you left it perfect. Oh, and fees for "damage" to carpets that either never existed or existed before and they conveniently forget to enter on their copy of the inventory.

those are easily avoided.
    you just make sure you are present at the time of the final inspection and hand over the keys in person at the property. you should also be present when the initial entry inventory is done.

that way you can answer any queries and refer to any inventory whilst on site.

never agree to hand keys in at an office. hand them over at the property after the final inspection has been done and agreed with.